A lot of play in my stick shift Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old November 22nd 07, 07:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jamie Mello

Default A lot of play in my stick shift Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 1983 toyta 4X4 pickup. And there is a lot of play in my stick
shifter. (it was like that when I bought it) And The shop says I need
a new transmission now. And they said to me that it should not be on
the road even. And that doe's not sound right to me. The transmission
works fine it shifts in all the gears fine. It just has a lot of play
in the shifter thats all. Please Help me I do not want to pay 550
dollars at the junkyard for a new transmission. Thanks Jamie
Old November 22nd 07, 07:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jamie Mello

I think I can also post a video on youtube if I have to, The only
thing I would I have to see if I can find a video cam. From someone (I
do not have one). Thanks Jamie
Old November 22nd 07, 11:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
bllsht

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 23:19:00 -0800 (PST), Jamie Mello
> wrote:

>I think I can also post a video on youtube if I have to, The only
>thing I would I have to see if I can find a video cam. From someone (I
>do not have one). Thanks Jamie

Better yet, find a Toyota group and ask them about your trans.

Old November 23rd 07, 12:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jamie Mello

I did ask a toyota group and they said a bushing also. And I am not
sure what you mean by is the shifter internal or external?? Thanks
Jamie
Old November 23rd 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jamie Mello

I am sorry I am so use to asking you guys for help I forgot you are
Jeep guys not toytoa guys. Sorry Thanks Jamie
Old November 23rd 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
JeffDeWitt

On Nov 22, 7:02 pm, Jamie Mello > wrote:
> I did ask a toyota group and they said a bushing also. And I am not
> sure what you mean by is the shifter internal or external?? Thanks
> Jamie

Jamie, some transmissions have internal shifters, that is if you look
at the transmission you will see the shift lever sticking out of it, I
think most modern transmissions are like that. Other transmissions
have levers on the outside that actually control the gears inside, say
one lever that shifts between 1st and Reverse, and another that shifts
between 2nd and 3rd. There is then a set of rods or cables that
connect those levers to the shifter. That kind of setup is common on
older American cars (the kind I'm most familiar with)... if you see an
old muscle car with a "Hurst" shifter what someone has done is replace
the stock external shifter with an aftermarket one.

The bottom line is if the shifter is external and worn you can
relatively easily replace it, if it's internal the transmission has to
come apart to fix it.

If it were me I'd find out what that bushing is, especially as the
Toyota guys were suggesting the same thing, if there is a chance thats
that problem it should be a lot easier and cheaper to replace that
than a whole transmission!
Old November 23rd 07, 05:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
XS11E[_3_]

Jamie Mello > wrote:

> I have a 1983 toyta 4X4 pickup. And there is a lot of play in my
> stick shifter. (it was like that when I bought it) And The shop
> says I need a new transmission now. And they said to me that it
> should not be on the road even. And that does not sound right to
> me. The transmission works fine it shifts in all the gears fine.
> It just has a lot of play in the shifter thats all. Please Help me
> I do not want to pay 550 dollars at the junkyard for a new
> transmission.

It's OLD! I have a lot of play in my stick shift too and... oh, wait,
you mean the truck don't you....

I really doubt it'll hurt anything. Bushings wear, etc. You can
browse used car lots and see if it's typical of a Toyota with similar
miles but I really doubt it's anything that is dangerous as long as it
shifts properly.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
Old November 23rd 07, 05:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jamie Mello

Thanks for all the input. And what type of bushing should I say I need
when I go in to buy it on friday? Thanks Jamie
Old November 24th 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_21_]

"Jamie Mello" > wrote in message
> Thanks for all the input. And what type of bushing should I say I need
> when I go in to buy it on friday? Thanks Jamie

Jamie,

You have to look at the parts to see exactly which ones are worn. As I
remember in these types of shifters there is a ball with grooves in it on
the lower part of the stick shift, that fits in a socket on top of the
transmission. It would have pins to keep it in alignment and a cap and
spring to hold it in place. Any of these parts could be worn. The lower
end of the shifter, where it fits into the shift rails, could be worn also.
You just don't know until you take the shifter apart to see what is what,
unless this is a common problem and you run into an experienced Toyota
mechanic. I remember one case a long time ago, on a Corolla or something,
where I had to build up the ball by welding it, cut new grooves in it, and
replace the pins. We didn't spend more than $5.00 for parts but the labor
was considerable. Maybe you will get lucky and the spring is just broken.

Good luck,

Earle

Old November 24th 07, 01:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon Stowell

XS11E wrote:
> Jamie Mello > wrote:
>
>> I have a 1983 toyta 4X4 pickup. And there is a lot of play in my
>> stick shifter. (it was like that when I bought it) And The shop
>> says I need a new transmission now. And they said to me that it
>> should not be on the road even. And that does not sound right to
>> me. The transmission works fine it shifts in all the gears fine.
>> It just has a lot of play in the shifter thats all. Please Help me
>> I do not want to pay 550 dollars at the junkyard for a new
>> transmission.

> It's OLD! I have a lot of play in my stick shift too and... oh, wait,
> you mean the truck don't you....
>
> I really doubt it'll hurt anything. Bushings wear, etc. You can
> browse used car lots and see if it's typical of a Toyota with similar
> miles but I really doubt it's anything that is dangerous as long as it
> shifts properly.

If this is the 5 speed, you can get a rebuild kit for a couple hundred
dollars. Your transmission type should be on the vehicle ident tag on
your firewall.

Depending on where you live, there are a few japanese transmission
rebuild wholesalers around los angeles. You might also check craigs
list, etc. as the transmissions go for about a hundred on up depending
on the market. Might want to check these folks out... they appear to
be geek level toyota folks:
http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/transmission/1a.htm

Plus some of your local 4 wheel parts places might have one that doesnt
show up on their web site.

As for not supposed to be on the road, you might want to ask them what
the heck they are expecting. It just comes to a halt, locks, up,
drops oil, doesnt shift, etc. it isnt gonna explode. By any chance is
that a transmission specialty [ripoff] chain?

stick shift [email protected] Driving 5 August 27th 07 08:57 PM
New Stick Shift Driver [email protected] Driving 4 July 14th 07 07:12 AM
Stick shift loose SQ Technology 0 June 1st 06 06:23 PM
shift stick problem jasmine23 Honda 1 September 3rd 05 06:45 PM
Stick Shift Problems Lani General 2 December 29th 04 04:54 PM