1996 Civic SI Coupe - Idle Problem/Heating&AC Problem!

Old December 23rd 04, 03:10 AM
alyhirji

Default 1996 Civic SI Coupe - Idle Problem/Heating&AC Problem!

Hi Everyone. I jsut recently bought a 96 SI (5 speed) and dropped a used
engine into it as the previous engine was seized (long story). I just put
it on the road and all is well (so far). Two (minor) problems i've
encountered a High Idle speed when slowing/stopping down and after
releasing the clutch. This happens after the car has been driven for a
while. I've read other posts and have become sort of familiar with the
IAC Valve. The O2 sensor on the car is new. Could the IAC be the
problem? How do I remove it and should I replace part of it (which part)?
Should I replace the whole thing? Should I clean it? How? !!

Problem #2: The heating controls are all messed up! When I select the
button for the windshield (front) defrost, the vents from the dash start
blowing, when I select the vents only, the front windshield defrosters
start blowing!! What could be the cause of this??

thanks for any and all help you're able to provide!
Aly

Old December 25th 04, 02:46 AM
Randolph

alyhirji wrote:

> Hi Everyone. I jsut recently bought a 96 SI (5 speed) and dropped a used
> engine into it as the previous engine was seized (long story). I just put
> it on the road and all is well (so far). Two (minor) problems i've
> encountered a High Idle speed when slowing/stopping down and after
> releasing the clutch. This happens after the car has been driven for a
> while. I've read other posts and have become sort of familiar with the
> IAC Valve. The O2 sensor on the car is new. Could the IAC be the
> problem? How do I remove it and should I replace part of it (which part)?
> Should I replace the whole thing? Should I clean it? How? !!

Setting the idle is not entirely trivial. The procedure varies with
model year and engine code, and it is not the same for the entire 96 -
00 generation Civics. If you don't follow the proper procedure for your
particular engine, you will get problems like you describe. What engine
do you have in the car now?

It is conceivable that the IAC is partially blocked, and that the idle
adjustment screw is opened too wide to compensate for this. The IAC can
be cleaned with throttle body cleaner.

If you try re-adjusting the idle, make sure you find the right idle
adjustment screw. On the throttle body there is a throttle stop screw
that looks and works like the idle adjustment screw on old carburetor.
This is NOT where you adjust the idle, and the factory manual has big
warnings about not touching this screw.

> Problem #2: The heating controls are all messed up! When I select the
> button for the windshield (front) defrost, the vents from the dash start
> blowing, when I select the vents only, the front windshield defrosters
> start blowing!! What could be the cause of this??

Someone else posted about this problem quite some time ago. There is a
mode control motor on the air handler. The air hanlder is under the
millde of the dash, and the mode control motor is on the left side of
the air handler. Thie motor assembly has a mode encoder in it, any
chance that the encoder has rotated out of position?
Old December 26th 04, 01:12 AM
Randolph

coffee

The guests select food, beverages, silverware... everything from the buffet table.
They move to wherever they are comfortable, and sit with whoever they choose.
Provide trays so your guests will not spill everything all over your house from
carrying too much, nor will they have to make 10 trips back and fourth from the
service stations.

Roast Leg of Amputee

By all means, substitute lamb or a good beef roast if the haunch
it is in any way diseased. But sometimes surgeons make mistakes,
and if a healthy young limb is at hand, then don?t hesitate to cook
it to perfection!

1 high quality limb, rack, or roast
Potatoes, carrot
Oil
celery
onions
green onions
parsley
garlic
salt, pepper, etc
2 cups beef stock

Marinate meat (optional, not necessary with better cuts).
Season liberally and lace with garlic cloves by making incisions,
and placing whole cloves deep into the meat.
Grease a baking pan, and fill with a thick bed of onions,
celery, green onions, and parsley.
Place roast on top with fat side up.
Place uncovered in 500° oven for 20 minutes, reduce oven to 325°.
Bake till medium rare (150°) and let roast rest.
Pour stock over onions and drippings, carve the meat and
place the slices in the au jus.

Bisque à l?Enfant

Honor the memory of Grandma with this dish by utilizing her good
silver soup tureen and her great grandchildren (crawfish, crab or
lobster will work just as well, however this dish is classically
made with crawf