Toy hauler for Jeep

Old April 16th 06, 05:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Toy hauler for Jeep

Looking for opinions.

Presently I have a truck and trailer but need to get something so that I can
bring the trailer and the TJ at the same time. I am kinda thinking of
getting a toy hauler/weekend warrior type trailer. Must be nice and have
lots of comfort features to satisfy the wife.

For those of you who use such things, what is the minimum length of a pull
trailer or fifth wheel that would haul a TJ and still have some living room?
Looking for something with bathroom, kitchen, queen bed, etc. GVW isn't
much of a problem as I am pulling with a 2500HD with Duramax & Allison.
Price is a consideration and I will most likely be shopping for something
used. Motorhome just isn't in the budget now. What brands are most
appropriate for this sort of thing?

An option is to get a small 5'er and pull the jeep behind it but I'm not
certain I want to go triple all the time and I do think it would be wise to
not rely on the jeep being able to ride on it's own wheels all the time.
Plus, pulling doubles gets complex.

Old April 16th 06, 06:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

A friend tried a toy hauler for his jeep:
http://www.billhughes.com/jeeptrailer.jpg He didn't like the way it
handled and blew the new Dodge's rear-end right out of it, trying to
keep up with my Son's 454" motorhome:
http://members.aol.com/LarrHughes/ocot31905.jpg He went back to flat
towing with a chassis camper. The balance will be far better with a car
trailer:
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old April 16th 06, 06:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"Pumper Hinkle" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Looking for opinions.
>
> Presently I have a truck and trailer but need to get something so that I

can
> bring the trailer and the TJ at the same time. I am kinda thinking of
> getting a toy hauler/weekend warrior type trailer. Must be nice and

have
> lots of comfort features to satisfy the wife.

All the toy haulers that I've seen have been geared towards motorcycles and
ATVs... I don't think I've seen one large enough for a TJ to fit in, much
less be able to handle the weight... On the other hand, there are some
trailers that the make for race cars that would definitely work... Some of
these are pretty fancy and have living quarters up front... If you don't
need to have the vehicle area enclosed, perhaps you can find very large
flatbed trailer and have a living quarters module added to the front
section...

Old April 16th 06, 08:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"L.W.(Bill) Hughes III" > wrote in message
> A friend tried a toy hauler for his jeep:
> http://www.billhughes.com/jeeptrailer.jpg He didn't like the way it
> handled and blew the new Dodge's rear-end right out of it, trying to
> keep up with my Son's 454" motorhome:
> http://members.aol.com/LarrHughes/ocot31905.jpg He went back to flat
> towing with a chassis camper. The balance will be far better with a car
> trailer:

One of the problems that I see with the typical toy hauler is that the
weight of the 'toy' is mostly behind the axles of the trailer... Unless you
have a considerable load up front, I suspect that it will have somewhat
'interesting' handling... If he does not want to go the truck camper route
and insists on having a trailer for the TJ, I would suggest going with a
large flatbed type trailer that has the axles far enough back that the TJ
would be mostly centered over them and putting a living quarters module up
front... I figure a 40 footer something like this would be a good starting
point:
http://www.hhtrailer.com/viewtrailer.asp?id=188

Figure 20 ft for the vehicle, fuel containers, etc... Another 20 ft for
living quarters...

Maybe make the living quarters out of a 20 ft cargo container so that it
could be lifted off the trailer in the even that you needed to haul
something very large? Might be a bit heavy though since they're around 5000
lbs *empty*, IIRC...