How ite done used to b

Old September 19th 11, 11:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

Default How ite done used to b

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 09:00:17 -0700, jim beam > wrote:

>On 09/18/2011 03:35 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

>i think it's highly relevant - it's got accord and camry as only 75%!
>they're both up near 95%. so when we see impala at 75%, what is the
>reality? 50%? 45%?

Be careful. You're reminding of that Bachman and her vaccine/mental
retardation comments.
Pure bull****, with no substantiation.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/3g7g79y

Again, whether you trust what NHSTA has compiled is irrelevant.
That's all we have on this "domestic content" score.

>don't forget also that if something is processed here, it qualifies as
>domestic. so if chinese bolts are screwed into a chinese pump body,
>with chinese bearings a chinese seal and a plastic american impeller, it
>qualifies as "made in usa with foreign and domestic components". that
>is bull****.

I know all that, and so should most who give "domestic content" more
than 2 seconds of thought. That's why domestic content isn't 100%.
One mfg is as likely to cook the books as another.

>> It's what we have.

>but for the u.s. taxpayer to be bailing out g.m. to the tune of
> >$30billion, excluding the decades of tax breaks, cheap loans and other

>kickbacks we've been funding for decades, for g.m. to be turning around
>and buying content from a despotic communist regime and military
>antagonist that threatens both our asian allies and ourselves, is
>utterly perverted.

Jesus H. Christ. As if Japan and every other country hasn't
subsidized their auto industries much more than GM ever got.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119129193308646092.html
It's been going on for decades.

The Japanese are no better than the Chinese.
Pure political nonsense.
Are you a member of the Tea Party?
Your love of everything Japanese and hatred of GM means nothing to me.
Never caught that disease.

>> What I didn't make clear is the Chinamen become *real* Americans with
>> the interests of America their foremost goal.
>> Like most Congressmen of 40 years ago.
>> But with the ruthlessness of Chinamen.

>abc's, yes. but not the current breed of immigrants unfortunately.
>there are /many/ "off the boat" chinese here who are fiercely loyal to
>their motherland. sure, they keep their heads down for the most part,
>but here in silicon valley, they're busy ransacking our companies for
>technology as hard as they can, each and every day.

Okay, so forget my idea. I don't trust them either.

>and to illustrate further, a few years ago, there were some "free tibet"
>rallies in san francisco. i was there because they went through the
>heart of the financial district where i work, and what i saw blew my
>mind. the rally marchers were photographed, confronted, bullied,
>intimidated, punched, spat on and threatened every step of the way by
>thousands and thousands of imported cell phone coordinated chinese
>thugs. sorry, did i say thugs? i meant "spies and political operatives
>posing as students". you've never seen the like - they were bussed in
>from all over the country. hundreds of busses. for a few hundred
>marchers. and what did san francisco's finest do? absolutely nothing,
>they just stood by and let it happen.
>
>it's a disgrace and shame on our nation that we allowed that. and the
>contempt with which the chinese regard us is only reinforced by our
>willingness to stand by and let them operate in our country in that way.
> with utter impunity! they wouldn't let us operate like that in their
>country - absolutely no freakin' way.

San Francisco is known for "tolerance."
But I agree with you.

--Vic
Old September 20th 11, 12:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 09/19/2011 03:42 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 09:00:17 -0700, jim > wrote:
>
>> On 09/18/2011 03:35 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

>> i think it's highly relevant - it's got accord and camry as only 75%!
>> they're both up near 95%. so when we see impala at 75%, what is the
>> reality? 50%? 45%?
>>

> Be careful. You're reminding of that Bachman and her vaccine/mental
> retardation comments.
> Pure bull****, with no substantiation.
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/3g7g79y
>
> Again, whether you trust what NHSTA has compiled is irrelevant.
> That's all we have on this "domestic content" score.
>

>> don't forget also that if something is processed here, it qualifies as
>> domestic. so if chinese bolts are screwed into a chinese pump body,
>> with chinese bearings a chinese seal and a plastic american impeller, it
>> qualifies as "made in usa with foreign and domestic components". that
>> is bull****.
>>

> I know all that, and so should most who give "domestic content" more
> than 2 seconds of thought. That's why domestic content isn't 100%.
> One mfg is as likely to cook the books as another.
>

>>> It's what we have.

>> but for the u.s. taxpayer to be bailing out g.m. to the tune of
>>> $30billion, excluding the decades of tax breaks, cheap loans and other

>> kickbacks we've been funding for decades, for g.m. to be turning around
>> and buying content from a despotic communist regime and military
>> antagonist that threatens both our asian allies and ourselves, is
>> utterly perverted.
>>

> Jesus H. Christ. As if Japan and every other country hasn't
> subsidized their auto industries much more than GM ever got.

our subsidies are much more than the direct stuff we read about in the
papers. technology subsidies we've given gm are colossal. nasa does
the research at the taxpayer expense, then we give it to g.m., and it
saves g.m. hundreds or even thousands of millions. we bleat about
"foreign" subsidy, while we're shoveling it through the back door as
hard as we can! we can't expect others to play by rules we don't follow
ourselves.

> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119129193308646092.html
> It's been going on for decades.
>
> The Japanese are no better than the Chinese.
> Pure political nonsense.
> Are you a member of the Tea Party?
> Your love of everything Japanese and hatred of GM means nothing to me.
> Never caught that disease.

i'm a materials guy. i love good stuff. and when i see something from
g.m. with abysmal q.c., poor materials choices, and bad engineering
design, i have a hard time feeling like buying anything from them is a
good deal. then, i go to something "import" and find it's made here,
with excellent quality domestic components, and it costs me the same or
even less? and their management uses the finest american practices we
invented, but never bothered to implement ourselves?

sorry dude, the only disease i have is a pathological hatred of getting
reamed and being told the reamer is doing me a favor.

>>> What I didn't make clear is the Chinamen become *real* Americans with
>>> the interests of America their foremost goal.
>>> Like most Congressmen of 40 years ago.
>>> But with the ruthlessness of Chinamen.

>> abc's, yes. but not the current breed of immigrants unfortunately.
>> there are /many/ "off the boat" chinese here who are fiercely loyal to
>> their motherland. sure, they keep their heads down for the most part,
>> but here in silicon valley, they're busy ransacking our companies for
>> technology as hard as they can, each and every day.
>>

> Okay, so forget my idea. I don't trust them either.
>
>> and to illustrate further, a few years ago, there were some "free tibet"
>> rallies in san francisco. i was there because they went through the
>> heart of the financial district where i work, and what i saw blew my
>> mind. the rally marchers were photographed, confronted, bullied,
>> intimidated, punched, spat on and threatened every step of the way by
>> thousands and thousands of imported cell phone coordinated chinese
>> thugs. sorry, did i say thugs? i meant "spies and political operatives
>> posing as students". you've never seen the like - they were bussed in
>>from all over the country. hundreds of busses. for a few hundred
>> marchers. and what did san francisco's finest do? absolutely nothing,
>> they just stood by and let it happen.
>>
>> it's a disgrace and shame on our nation that we allowed that. and the
>> contempt with which the chinese regard us is only reinforced by our
>> willingness to stand by and let them operate in our country in that way.
>> with utter impunity! they wouldn't let us operate like that in their
>> country - absolutely no freakin' way.
>>

> San Francisco is known for "tolerance."

that's not tolerance, that's rolling over and taking it up the ass.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum