Obama says trucks must do better

Old August 9th 11, 05:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob Urz

Default Obama says trucks must do better

http://www.manufacturing.net/News/20...r-Big-Vehicles

bob
Old August 10th 11, 12:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

bob urz > wrote in
:

> http://www.manufacturing.net/News/20...a-To-Set-Fuel-
> Standards-For-Big-Vehicles
>
> bob

Wow. Obama is a moron. That, or he's fishing for votes. Or worse.

If your business runs vehicles that cover any sort of significant mileage,
fuel is the biggest single expense for you. Fuel mileage is /already/ a big
factor in commercial-vehicle purchases, and commercial-vehicle
manufacturers /already/ work very hard to reduce running-costs as much as
they can, since it's a huge sales-point. There is NO need for government
involvement.

You've got to lose this guy before he does even more damage than he's
already done.

--
Tegger
Old August 10th 11, 12:13 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Tegger > wrote:
>Wow. Obama is a moron. That, or he's fishing for votes. Or worse.
>
>If your business runs vehicles that cover any sort of significant mileage,
>fuel is the biggest single expense for you. Fuel mileage is /already/ a big
>factor in commercial-vehicle purchases, and commercial-vehicle
>manufacturers /already/ work very hard to reduce running-costs as much as
>they can, since it's a huge sales-point. There is NO need for government
>involvement.

Down here, the vast majority of pickup trucks are privately owned, and that
includes plenty of full-sized pickup trucks and even a whole lot of dualies
that people just use to commute to work or drive to the supermarket because
having a pickup truck is what people do.

I think this is the reason for the push.... not the commercial vehicle
purchasers at all.
--scott

Old August 10th 11, 02:38 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2011-08-09, Tegger > wrote:
> bob urz > wrote in
> :
>
>> http://www.manufacturing.net/News/20...a-To-Set-Fuel-
>> Standards-For-Big-Vehicles
>>
>> bob

> Wow. Obama is a moron. That, or he's fishing for votes. Or worse.
>
> If your business runs vehicles that cover any sort of significant mileage,
> fuel is the biggest single expense for you. Fuel mileage is /already/ a big
> factor in commercial-vehicle purchases, and commercial-vehicle
> manufacturers /already/ work very hard to reduce running-costs as much as
> they can, since it's a huge sales-point. There is NO need for government
> involvement.
>
> You've got to lose this guy before he does even more damage than he's
> already done.

Obama won a popularity contest and thus he (well the people who "advise"
him) then know what is best for everyone. They and they alone will tell
people what to do.

When the US government stops consuming more fuel than any other
institution in the world (mostly through its military fighting what is
it now? three, four or five wars?), then maybe, just maybe they'll be
worth listening to with regards to the fuel economy other people should
get out of their vehicles.

I agree with you that it absurd to think that truck makers haven't been
listening to their customers for the last several decades.

Old August 10th 11, 02:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

Brent > wrote in
:

> Obama won a popularity contest

I think Obama won because he was black. Did you watch his inauguration? I
did. Precious few white faces in that crowd. 2008 was the most racist
election in history.

--
Tegger
Old August 10th 11, 03:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hachiroku

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 01:38:27 +0000, Brent wrote:

>> You've got to lose this guy before he does even more damage than he's
>> already done.
>>

> Obama won a popularity contest

That pretty much sums it up. No brains required.

Old August 10th 11, 04:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
aemeijers

On 8/9/2011 8:03 PM, Tegger wrote:
> (Scott Dorsey) wrote in
> :
>
>> > wrote:
>>> Wow. Obama is a moron. That, or he's fishing for votes. Or worse.
>>>
>>> If your business runs vehicles that cover any sort of significant
>>> mileage, fuel is the biggest single expense for you. Fuel mileage is
>>> /already/ a big factor in commercial-vehicle purchases, and
>>> commercial-vehicle manufacturers /already/ work very hard to reduce
>>> running-costs as much as they can, since it's a huge sales-point.
>>> There is NO need for government involvement.

>> Down here, the vast majority of pickup trucks are privately owned, and
>> that includes plenty of full-sized pickup trucks and even a whole lot
>> of dualies that people just use to commute to work or drive to the
>> supermarket because having a pickup truck is what people do.
>>
>> I think this is the reason for the push.... not the commercial vehicle
>> purchasers at all.
>> --scott
>>

> You should actually read the article Bob Urz referenced.
>
> Excerpt:
> "Fire trucks and concrete mixers, semis, heavy-duty pickups and all trucks
> in between..."
>
> Obama's after the commercials. Change we can believe in.

I hope I still have some change left in my pocket when he leaves office,
in 2 years or 6. If the Rs hadn't run Dingbat and Geezer last time, a
lot of people may have voted differently. (Geezer probably would have
done okay, but he is old and sick, and nobody wanted to risk HER
becoming POTUS.) If they don't do better next time, even if O screws up
horribly, he is probably a shoe-in. Better the devil you know, etc.

--
aem sends....
Old August 10th 11, 04:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2011-08-10, Tegger > wrote:
> Brent > wrote in
> :
>

>> Obama won a popularity contest

> I think Obama won because he was black. Did you watch his inauguration? I
> did. Precious few white faces in that crowd. 2008 was the most racist
> election in history.

Obama won because he serves the right people. So do Mrs. Clinton and
McCain. Why Obama over them? Perhaps that was just how the vote came
out, but as it usually is, the choice was a false one. The same people
(see who funds the campaigns) win regardless. Considering Obama's vice
president I think the establishment powers that be were a bit nervous
about how well Obama would serve them. I think Obama has exceeded their
expectations.

Presidents that pose some risk for the establishment usually have to
take vice presidents that are sure things for the establishment. For
instance, LBJ to JFK, Bush the elder to Reagan, now Biden to Obama.

Old August 10th 11, 04:34 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2011-08-10, Hachiroku > wrote:

> If you said "He's the worst President since Jimmy Carter, or Franklin
> Pierce", well, you must be a racist!!

Every president is the worst president until the next one.