A3 in USA, anyone demo it yet?

Old April 21st 05, 01:54 PM
Faith

Default A3 in USA, anyone demo it yet?

Impressions welcomed. There is only the 2 liter 4banger in the demo model.
"Stock expected in a few weeks and V6 in 6-8 weeks time, same engine as
A4" - Houston (McHahon?) Dealer

Old April 22nd 05, 06:41 PM

Faith wrote:
> Impressions welcomed. There is only the 2 liter 4banger in the demo

model.
> "Stock expected in a few weeks and V6 in 6-8 weeks time, same engine

as
> A4" - Houston (McHahon?) Dealer

audiusa.com only lists the 2 liter 4 in FWD only! No Quattro! What's
wrong with Audi USA?

Old April 23rd 05, 01:15 PM
Dave

> Impressions welcomed. There is only the 2 liter 4banger in the demo model.
> "Stock expected in a few weeks and V6 in 6-8 weeks time, same engine as
> A4" - Houston (McHahon?) Dealer

The V6 isn't the same engine as the A4 despite them both being 3.2 litres.
The A3 engine is a VR6 unit based on the Golf R32 engine. The A4 3.2 V6 is a
typical 60 degree V6 but this one has FSI.

Is the 2 litre an FSI unit in the US? Will you be getting the excellent 2
litre TDI?

Dave

Old April 30th 05, 01:25 AM
cp

> Impressions welcomed. There is only the 2 liter 4banger in the demo model.
> "Stock expected in a few weeks and V6 in 6-8 weeks time, same engine as
> A4" - Houston (McHahon?) Dealer

ahhhhh A3, my dream hatchback, any idea if they will be available in Canada?

cp

Old May 2nd 05, 11:46 AM
Dave

> The V6 isn't the same engine as the A4 despite them both being 3.2 litres.
> The A3 engine is a VR6 unit based on the Golf R32 engine. The A4 3.2 V6 is
> a typical 60 degree V6 but this one has FSI.

Just saw that the A4 3.2 is in fact a 3.1! I think car makers just like
round numbers.

Dave

Old May 3rd 05, 10:01 AM
Peter Bell

In message >
"Dave" > wrote:

> Just saw that the A4 3.2 is in fact a 3.1! I think car makers just like
> round numbers.

Well, 3.123 actually - how often does a car manufacturer round down on
engine capacity?

Ah - I've just thought ... my wife's diesel A2 is designated as a 1.4
but the capacity is 1422cc.

Old May 4th 05, 03:25 PM
TI

"cp" > wrote in message news:IfAce.10732$3V3.9361@edtnps89...
> > Impressions welcomed. There is only the 2 liter 4banger in the demo

model.
> > "Stock expected in a few weeks and V6 in 6-8 weeks time, same engine as
> > A4" - Houston (McHahon?) Dealer

> ahhhhh A3, my dream hatchback, any idea if they will be available in

Canada?

> cp

Did the demo at Momentum Audi in Houston. Nice 5dr hatchback. 2liter turbo
engine. Real peppy 6speed manual, smooth. Got it on the freeway and passed a
cop giving out a ticket (I was punching it in 5th, hoping to try out the 6th
gear, est. 80mph), slowed for next exit (salesman's suggestion).

Need wife to demo the automatic which should now be there. Like the basic
features. None of the options scream out, but performance package has some
attractive goodies. All have the 18" wheels, I think, in 3 styles. No MP3
cds yet but navigation option will have two memory stick slots capable of
playing mp3s.

3.1 engine coming in around November (salesman estimate).

Old May 4th 05, 05:28 PM
Peter Bell

In message >
"TI" > wrote:

> 3.1 engine coming in around November (salesman estimate).

... actually, a 3.2 (3189cc) 'narrow angle' V6 (based on the old VW VR6
engine).

Old May 4th 05, 08:05 PM
cp

> Did the demo at Momentum Audi in Houston. Nice 5dr hatchback. 2liter turbo
> engine. Real peppy 6speed manual, smooth. Got it on the freeway and passed a
> cop giving out a ticket (I was punching it in 5th, hoping to try out the 6th
> gear, est. 80mph), slowed for next exit (salesman's suggestion).

5dr? You mean 3dr, no?

And 80mph? How was it at 150mph? Though I guess it'd have to be an S3 for that...

> 3.1 engine coming in around November (salesman estimate).

3.1 is total overkill for an A3 and American style (meaning slow, less than 150mph) driving

cp

Old May 4th 05, 10:33 PM
Graham

cp wrote:
>>Did the demo at Momentum Audi in Houston. Nice 5dr hatchback. 2liter turbo
>>engine. Real peppy 6speed manual, smooth. Got it on the freeway and passed a
>>cop giving out a ticket (I was punching it in 5th, hoping to try out the 6th
>>gear, est. 80mph), slowed for next exit (salesman's suggestion).

> 5dr? You mean 3dr, no?

It's effectively the A3 sportback from the UK, which is a 5 door estate
(Avant).