audi v6

Old January 22nd 05, 01:30 PM
Roger Evans

Default audi v6

hello from wales,
just bought audi a4 2.4 v6
told by dealer that this engine uses oil
has used nearly a litre in 600 miles
this can not be normal
please give advice so that I can change it
under 30 day trial
2 weeks left

thanks
r. evans

Old January 22nd 05, 02:11 PM
R@L

"Roger Evans" > wrote in message
> hello from wales,
> just bought audi a4 2.4 v6
> told by dealer that this engine uses oil
> has used nearly a litre in 600 miles
> this can not be normal
> please give advice so that I can change it
> under 30 day trial
> 2 weeks left
>
> thanks
> r. evans

According to Audi, this is still normal consumption ( 1 Ltr/1000 Km).
Check if it loses oil under car.

Ronald

Old January 22nd 05, 03:27 PM
Rune Skigelstrand

"R@L" > wrote in message

> "Roger Evans" > wrote in message
>> hello from wales,
>> just bought audi a4 2.4 v6
>> told by dealer that this engine uses oil
>> has used nearly a litre in 600 miles
>> this can not be normal
>> please give advice so that I can change it
>> under 30 day trial
>> 2 weeks left
>>
>> thanks
>> r. evans
>>

> According to Audi, this is still normal consumption ( 1 Ltr/1000 Km).
> Check if it loses oil under car.

Like stated here consumption is probably in spec. according to Audi (and all
other manufacturers).
However, a litre/1000 km in my opinion always indicates that there's an
internal/external leak, blown head gasket or worse...
I'd _never_ buy this car unless dealer rectifies this problem.

Got an -98 A6 2.8 which I believe is the same "base-engine" except for
narrower bore and/or shorter stroke. At 90' km I never have to fill oil
between services (15' km).

Old January 22nd 05, 04:10 PM
Jay Somerset

I bought a 1998 A6 with the 2.8L engine in 2001 with 28,000 miles on it. It
went through a quart/litre about every 1000 miles. This continued for about
6-12 months, after which oil consumption dropped to nearly zero. I now can
go over 5000 miles, and use only about 1/2 quart/litre.

My assessment is that the first owner drove mostly in the city, with very
little higher speed driving, unlike me, where most of the miles are highway
miles. I believe that the rings never seated properly, allowing oil to blow
by. After I put about 15-20,000 highway miles on the car, they finally
seated, cutting consumption drastically.

No oil additives used, at least while I have had the car, which now has
71,000 miles.

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 16:27:52 +0100, "Rune Skigelstrand"

Old January 22nd 05, 04:11 PM
Peter Bell

In message >
"Roger Evans" > wrote:

> hello from wales,
> just bought audi a4 2.4 v6
> told by dealer that this engine uses oil
> has used nearly a litre in 600 miles
> this can not be normal

I'm afraid that it is very normal for the 2.4 engine and, whilst it is
an additional running cost, it is not, necessarily, indicative of any
damage or wear. This problem does not seem to afflict other engines in
the Audi range - all three of my Audis have been able to go without any
top-up between services. However, my wife's A2 TDi did need one top-up
before it reached its first service at 17k miles!

> please give advice so that I can change it under 30 day trial
> 2 weeks left

If you particularly want a 2.4, then you'll probably find that they're
all the same. Otherwise, if you can stretch to 2.8 or would be happy
with a 1.8T, then it might be worth considering changing it.

Old January 22nd 05, 04:14 PM
daytripper

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 13:30:07 GMT, "Roger Evans" >
wrote:

>hello from wales,
>just bought audi a4 2.4 v6
>told by dealer that this engine uses oil
>has used nearly a litre in 600 miles
>this can not be normal
>please give advice so that I can change it
>under 30 day trial
>2 weeks left

run away. now.
Old January 22nd 05, 04:59 PM
Richard Goulding

"Roger Evans" > wrote in message
> hello from wales,
> just bought audi a4 2.4 v6
> told by dealer that this engine uses oil
> has used nearly a litre in 600 miles
> this can not be normal
> please give advice so that I can change it
> under 30 day trial
> 2 weeks left

I have a 2000 A4 2.8 V6 and it uses a litre every 2000 miles. This is normal
according to the Audi Dealer. I have done 25,000 miles in it now and it is
at 77,000. No change at all in consumption. Every time I go to the dealers
there is someone ringing up about oil consumption so it seems to be very
widespread. Yours does seem excessive but the spec says that it is ok. Is it
on the AVS regime as this can have higher consumption.

Hope this helps

Richard

Old January 22nd 05, 05:45 PM
David

Change it for a V6 TDi like mine and enjoy typically 17,000 miles between
oil changes (variable service interval) with no noticeable oil loss during
that time.

David.

Old January 22nd 05, 07:22 PM
Peter Bell

In message >
"David" > wrote:

> Change it for a V6 TDi like mine and enjoy typically 17,000 miles between
> oil changes (variable service interval) with no noticeable oil loss during
> that time.

Likewise, the oil level on my RS6 was still at the 'full' mark when it
went in for its first service.

Old January 23rd 05, 02:38 PM
Roger Evans

thanks richard but what do you mean by avs regime?

Audi Picture R. de Jong Audi 0 December 18th 04 08:28 AM
Audi tt coupe 1.8L 225HP Question. sams General 1 December 17th 04 04:47 AM
audi facts may be of interest news.blueyonder.co.uk Audi 0 October 28th 04 01:35 PM
audi cd for pc news.blueyonder.co.uk Audi 1 October 7th 04 09:51 PM
Audi Picture R. de Jong Audi 0 July 27th 04 04:08 PM