2002 A4 - Beep beep beep beep

Old December 5th 04, 09:05 PM
Jimbo

Default 2002 A4 - Beep beep beep beep

Okay,

I start my 2002 A4 1.8T, tick it into reverse, and I (intermittently) hear
four beeps from the rear of the vehicle.

Does anyone have any idea what could be making the noise?

Thank you very much.

Jimbo.

Old December 5th 04, 09:29 PM
AustinMini.OsiTech.Net

Close proximity signal perhaps?

--
_________________________________
http://austinmini.ositech.net

Old December 5th 04, 10:49 PM
Mike Holland

If nothing is behind you I suggest you clean dirt off the proximity sensor.

Mike Holland

Old December 6th 04, 08:52 AM
Jimbo

I'd agree with you.... If I had parking sensors... But I don't :-)

Jimbo.

Old December 6th 04, 09:32 AM
Peter Bell

In message >
"Jimbo" > wrote:

> I'd agree with you.... If I had parking sensors... But I don't :-)
>
> Jimbo.
>

> "Jimbo" > wrote in message
> > Okay,
> >
> > I start my 2002 A4 1.8T, tick it into reverse, and I (intermittently) hear
> > four beeps from the rear of the vehicle.
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea what could be making the noise?
> >
> > Thank you very much.

Difficult to make any sensible suggestion without knowing what the beeps
sound like. Is it possibly the sounder which can be enabled to give an
audible indication when the door locks/alarm are set? Perhaps some
strange interaction between the reversing light circuitry and the alarm
sounder???

Old December 8th 04, 04:53 PM
Rune Skigelstrand

"Jimbo" wrote

> I start my 2002 A4 1.8T, tick it into reverse, and I (intermittently) hear
> four beeps from the rear of the vehicle.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what could be making the noise?

Could be an audible alarm that's supposed to alert anybody finding
themselves behind your car when you engage "R". This is a standard feature
on all trucks here in Norway, and is getting common on regular cars as well.
Sometimes this feature is installed by replacing the reverse-light bulbs
with a special bulb that includes both the light and the alarm - sure you
don't have one of these installed?

Regards
Rune

Old December 8th 04, 04:59 PM
Peter Bell

In message >
"Rune Skigelstrand" > wrote:

> "Jimbo" wrote
>
> > I start my 2002 A4 1.8T, tick it into reverse, and I
> > (intermittently) hear four beeps from the rear of the vehicle.
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea what could be making the noise?

> Could be an audible alarm that's supposed to alert anybody finding
> themselves behind your car when you engage "R". This is a standard
> feature on all trucks here in Norway, and is getting common on
> regular cars as well. Sometimes this feature is installed by
> replacing the reverse-light bulbs with a special bulb that includes
> both the light and the alarm - sure you don't have one of these
> installed?

That wouldn't explain it happening only intermittently (by which I
presume that Jimbo means that it doesn't happen everytime), or only four
beeps - surely the reverse beeper would continue until the car is taken
out of reverse gear.

Old December 8th 04, 05:29 PM
Rune Skigelstrand

"Peter Bell" wrote

>> Could be an audible alarm that's supposed to alert anybody finding
>> themselves behind your car when you engage "R". This is a standard
>> feature on all trucks here in Norway, and is getting common on
>> regular cars as well. Sometimes this feature is installed by
>> replacing the reverse-light bulbs with a special bulb that includes
>> both the light and the alarm - sure you don't have one of these
>> installed?

> That wouldn't explain it happening only intermittently (by which I
> presume that Jimbo means that it doesn't happen everytime), or only four
> beeps - surely the reverse beeper would continue until the car is taken
> out of reverse gear.

Ooops. Didn't notice 'intermittent'...

Old December 9th 04, 11:16 AM
Juho

It might be the parking assistant... Was there any objects behind the car
when that happend or was the car dirty or snowy or icy/frozen?

Old December 9th 04, 01:28 PM
Peter Bell

In message >
"Juho" > wrote:

> It might be the parking assistant...

Try looking at the earlier posts in this thread! Jimbo states that his
car doesn't have the parking assistance option fitted.