Regarding the new Thrustmaster wheel

Old November 25th 05, 01:01 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default Regarding the new Thrustmaster wheel

wrote:
> PLEASE tell me I could do this. I used to have a GP1 that I loved
> till it wore out. I liked it because I could use the paddle's for my
> gas/brakes...and they were gradual...not all or nothing. By that I
> mean if I held down the paddle just half way I would get half
> acceleration or braking. Not all or nothing, I have not been able to
> find a product that allowed me to do this. For a while there was one
> from Thrustamster but it's imposible to find and is only avavilble
> overseas I think.
>
> Can the new Thrustmaster wheel do this? I only want to play NR2003
> Season with it right now.
>
> Thanks
>
> Richard

According to the website -
http://us.thrustmaster.com/products/...p?p=T310&fam=4, and
according to an earlier post, this wheel DOES have 2 "progressive" levers.

So, it appears that you've found your wheel.
Old November 25th 05, 01:45 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

<BRH> wrote in message ...
> BRH wrote:
>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> PLEASE tell me I could do this. I used to have a GP1 that I loved
>>> till it wore out. I liked it because I could use the paddle's for my
>>> gas/brakes...and they were gradual...not all or nothing. By that I
>>> mean if I held down the paddle just half way I would get half
>>> acceleration or braking. Not all or nothing, I have not been able to
>>> find a product that allowed me to do this. For a while there was one
>>> from Thrustamster but it's imposible to find and is only avavilble
>>> overseas I think. Can the new Thrustmaster wheel do this? I only want
>>> to play NR2003
>>> Season with it right now. Thanks
>>>
>>> Richard
>>>

>> According to the website -

http://us.thrustmaster.com/products/...p?p=T310&fam=4, and according
>> to an earlier post, this wheel DOES have 2 "progressive" levers.
>>
>> So, it appears that you've found your wheel.

> Whoops - Correction!!! It appears that the progressive levers canNOT be
> used for gas/brakes in NR2003. I don't know why, but that's how its
> listed he
>
> http://us.thrustmaster.com/products/...205%20AXES.PDF
>
> Sorry....

Sure you can. It has five axes; you assign them to whatever you want. They
just list them as being for the look l/r functions as an example, since some
games don't allow analog control of that function and NR2003 does.

I started out on a GP1 myself, and one thing to consider about this one is
that the analog paddles are mounted low on the wheel, at about 4/8 o'clock.
The upper paddles that are in a similar location to the GP1's are
digital-only. Also, for anyone considering this one as a DFP alternative,
it looks like it only has 240 degrees of rotation. Haven't seen any mention
of what kind of sensors they're using either, pots or optical. And if
experience is any guide, it appears a safe bet that it will have higher
latency and CPU cost than the Logitech wheels; no one's matched their
drivers to date that I know of. How many FPS do you have to spare? ;-)

SB

Old November 26th 05, 12:27 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> wrote in message
news
> So contrary ro what BRH posted(thanks for the help though BRH) you
> think I could use it in much the same way I did the GP1 in NR2003? The
> lower paddles for progressive brakes/gas? Or is BRH right?
>
> TIA,
>
> Richard

The PDF that BRH kindly linked notes itself at the top that those control
assignments are only "possibilities". The bottom line is that the wheel has
five analog axes, which you can map to any function that supports analog
control. Some games can't even handle three axes, but most of the sims that
are of interest here in RAS would have no problem doing what you want. And
better than the GP1 actually; you could have your wheel-mounted throttle and
brake on separate axes for simultaneous use, which the GP1 couldn't do.

SB

Old November 26th 05, 01:51 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Steve Blankenship wrote:
> > wrote in message
> news >
>>So contrary ro what BRH posted(thanks for the help though BRH) you
>>think I could use it in much the same way I did the GP1 in NR2003? The
>>lower paddles for progressive brakes/gas? Or is BRH right?
>>
>>TIA,
>>
>>Richard

> The PDF that BRH kindly linked notes itself at the top that those control
> assignments are only "possibilities". The bottom line is that the wheel has
> five analog axes, which you can map to any function that supports analog
> control. Some games can't even handle three axes, but most of the sims that
> are of interest here in RAS would have no problem doing what you want. And
> better than the GP1 actually; you could have your wheel-mounted throttle and
> brake on separate axes for simultaneous use, which the GP1 couldn't do.
>
> SB

The reason that I said that it wouldn't work is from what I see in the
second column from the right in that link. It appears to be saying that
NR2003 does NOT support "Others Progressive Possibilities".

But, of course, I have no way of knowing for sure. Just trying to be
helpful.

Old November 26th 05, 04:49 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

<BRH> wrote in message ...
> Steve Blankenship wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> news >>
>>>So contrary ro what BRH posted(thanks for the help though BRH) you
>>>think I could use it in much the same way I did the GP1 in NR2003? The
>>>lower paddles for progressive brakes/gas? Or is BRH right?
>>>
>>>TIA,
>>>
>>>Richard

>> The PDF that BRH kindly linked notes itself at the top that those control
>> assignments are only "possibilities". The bottom line is that the wheel
>> has five analog axes, which you can map to any function that supports
>> analog control. Some games can't even handle three axes, but most of the
>> sims that are of interest here in RAS would have no problem doing what
>> you want. And better than the GP1 actually; you could have your
>> wheel-mounted throttle and brake on separate axes for simultaneous use,
>> which the GP1 couldn't do.
>>
>> SB

> The reason that I said that it wouldn't work is from what I see in the
> second column from the right in that link. It appears to be saying that
> NR2003 does NOT support "Others Progressive Possibilities".
>
> But, of course, I have no way of knowing for sure. Just trying to be
> helpful.

Noted, absolutely. What that column means in the case of NR2003 for
instance, is that only gas, brake, steering and clutch can be mapped to
analog controls and result in progressive response. You can map any of the
five axes you want to any functions that support analog (progressive) input
and they'll work. You could set it up to steer with the pedals if you
wanted to, for that matter. Which would work pretty much like driving a
Lotus 49... ;-)

SB