A6 1.8T Auto trace fault5 to failed throttle housing assembly

Old May 17th 05, 05:13 PM
Stuart

"Iain Miller" > wrote in message

>> The beers are definitely on me.
>> Kinda wondering what to do with the garage, this fault has cost me £300
>> so far, would have cost another £700. All it needed was an hours labour
>> and £3.42 for a can of carb cleaner.
>>
>> That included two diagnostics-one that ID'd the MAF and one that ID'd the
>> TB, I would not have known to look to the throttle body without the fault
>> code.
>>
>> Maybe the MAF was faulty, the performance did improve, not the idle
>> though.

> Hmmm - maybe the MAF just needed cleaning as well. It doesn't always work
> but its worth trying before replacing the thing
>
>> I feel a bit let down by the garage, I am not a mechanic and at one time
>> I trusted these guys as experts who would clean something rather then
>> replace it. Not that naive, I have been dealing with garages for
>> sometime, and they did used to provide an excellent service.

> Yeah well, tis the absence of Mechanics & the proliferation of "fitters".
>
> I can see your dilemma - but I'd still make a phone call or go & see them
> to have a chat about it. You may need them at some point & to a certain
> extent "better the devil you know". You'll also know to come & ask here
> (or similar) before authorising any other expensive works in future!

I thought I did, but I am mistaken, can't find the post!

> Anyway, glad its fixed - suggest you invest some of the savings in a
> Bentley manual & maybe a few more tools. When you can do an oil change in
> under hour for under £35 it seems a bit pointless to pay a garage 3 times
> that amount.

Due to fiscal circumstances beyond my control it is now time to sell the
Audi. If I get another, I will definitely invest in a Bentley.

The prices calculated last week were :-
Glasses Top Book is £4970
Maximum for Parkers adjusted for mileage and auto box is £6800
And What Car comes in at £6461

Any ideas what a reasonable price would be to advertise at ?
1998 A6 1.8T Green Leather Interior, Auto, 6-CD Ch, Aircon, FSH, 46K miles
(guaranteed, only one previous owner - my boss),
No expense spaired for maintenance!
Stuart