15 years later..

Old March 20th 11, 03:00 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PW[_3_]

Default 15 years later..

http://www.virtualr.net/nascar-the-g...ur-new-videos/

>You're right, not for the PC unfortunately. Based on some of the physics in recent
>videos I'm not sure we'll be missing much. It might have been a bit of fun though,
>and a change from running N2003 when I feel the need to practice turning left.
>
>Andrew McP

Thanks Andrew

-paul
Old March 21st 11, 11:21 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
rcgldr[_2_]

One issue for newgroups is the lack of support. Cox cable dropped
newsgroup support last year, although it probably supported newsgroups
longer than other ISP's. So this post has some actual content, here's
a link to some Shift replay videos. The replays look nice, but it's a
shame you can't save them.

Series of races:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN2DJ1fngJQ&hd=1

3 drift events in the Viper
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5NVPbksNQ8&hd=1

Old March 23rd 11, 07:21 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

(rcgldr) wrote:

> here's a link to some Shift replay videos.

Those, and others, seem to show that there are some nice additions (eg night racing)
but that nothing has really changed since Shift1 in terms of the physics. The crash
rolls are especially suspicious.... there's just something not quite right about
the transitions from ground to air and back to the ground again.

I enjoyed 1 for what it was... a good bit of forgiving, slippery fun. And thrashing
round the Ring with all the special effects (and the HUD turned off) was very
immersive. So I'm sure I'll pick this up, I'm just not convinced it'll be worth
paying full price for.

Unfortunately its availability on Steam means it'll be very easy to crack and
purchase early. Maybe even on day1. In fact I nearly pre-ordered yesterday despite
my doubts.

It's nice to see that the lack of willpower which got me into so much financial
trouble on iRacing is alive and well. My credit card company will be very happy to
find I haven't given up wasting money. :->

Andrew McP

PS Of course you're right about newsgroups. My ISP doesn't carry them, and I'm not
sure how much longer we'll be able to rely on the various free services.
Old March 24th 11, 11:12 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ian Riches

In article >,
says...

(Ian Riches) wrote:

> > Nor does Dirt, but somehow playing that with the
> > keyboard doesn't bother me.....

> Keyboard? KEYBOARD!?

Have you ever played Dirt? Let's just say that's it's not on-topic for
R.A.*S*.

> Look, I know we're short of people posting here, but... you're banned, ok? Out,
> right now! ;-)

Typing out 100 lines of "I must always use a wheel, even when Andrew is
not looking" right now.

Am I allowed back?

> Actually you're reminding me of many happy hours spent on Crammond's Revs back when
> wheels had yet to be invented by computer cave men. And any modern game designed
> with a console controller in mind must be ok with a keyboard. It's a case of mind
> over matter I suppose. Sims are mainly in the head anyway.

Absolutely. And some of those old ones just worked in a way that the
flashy-graphics modern day stuff doesn't always recapture. I played
Revs on my mate's BBC, and Crammond's F1GP was one of the first games I
got on my PC 16MHz 386SX PC. Happy days..

Anyone remember that great flight sim Tornado? ;-)

> PS I just remembered none of us can ban you anyway. I think we have to have written
> permission from ymenard.

Hmm. Guess I'm OK for now then. He seems to be MIA since around 2004,
if my Google-fu is up to par today.

Ian

--
Ian Riches
Bedford - UK
Old March 24th 11, 08:39 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
RickyB

> Absolutely. *And some of those old ones just worked in a way that the
> flashy-graphics modern day stuff doesn't always recapture. *I played
> Revs on my mate's BBC, and Crammond's F1GP was one of the first games I
> got on my PC 16MHz 386SX PC. *Happy days..
>
> Anyone remember that great flight sim Tornado? ;-)

No, but you've got me thinking about just how many hours I spent on
just four Microprose titles:
Gunship
Silent Service
Railroad Tycoon
and, of course, GC's F1GP.

Ah, happy days on the Amstrad CPC 464, then the giddy heights of the
Atari STfm!

Cheers,
Rick.

ps - Is it just me, or has it all gone a bit too quiet on RFactor 2?

Old May 7th 11, 07:35 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
dbx[_2_]

Google happened, and it's refusal to reduce spam and spammers after taking
over Deja Vu.