15 years later..

Old March 6th 11, 03:06 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jack Sampson

Default 15 years later..

What happened to this place? It used to be a great place to discuss
NASCAR 1 and NASCAR 2.

Shame it died off, real shame.

Old March 11th 11, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mr T

On Mar 6, 6:55*pm, (Andrew MacPherson)
wrote:
> (Jack Sampson) wrote:
> > Shame it died off, real shame.

Hey, we get spammed about 3d walkthroughs ... that's something .. not
racing related though ..

> I'm trying my best to keep up the CPR, but my arms get tired, ok? I tell you what,
> I promise to buy Shift 2 after all, and rant about it when it's a complete
> disappointment. That should stop rigor mortis setting in for a little longer.
>
> Now I have a PS3 I'll also be trying to buy that Nascar title which is out soon....
> it looks like it might be fun even for someone who prefers the occasional right
> turn. Someone on VirtualR said it would only be out in the USA though. Hopefully
> they're wrong.
>
> Andrew McP

From what I've seen the new Nascar game will be very arcade like. They
talk about realism (as they all do) but quite often it's just hype to
get the armchair wannabe racers thinking they can actually drive a
race car. I hope Shift 2 will be different like they've been promoting
but I wouldn't be putting any money on it.

Mike.
Old March 11th 11, 10:22 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

(Mr T) wrote:

> I hope Shift 2 will be different like they've been promoting
> but I wouldn't be putting any money on it.

The marketing hype for Shift2 is working on me... which is a sure sign that it's
going to be Shift1 with a few tweaks which won't make it feel like a proper sim.
However I am practising being optimistic, just in case I discover that rose tinted
glasses improve my overall mood.

I may well be saved from my Nascar itch though. The price to import that title will
probably put me off. PS3 games are expensive enough to start with without the
import premium to discourage me from taking a gamble. And I do think some of the
videos show some exceptionally dubious physics. That's never a good sign.

What puzzles me though is that after all this time getting an acceptable on-track
experience in a racing title is still so hard. I'm sure it can't be easy, but
surely with so many CPU cycles to throw at projects it ought to be possible to plug
in some physics modules and get close enough without kidnapping Dave Kaemmer.

Mind you, even DK seems to have to hand-tweak individual vehicles rather than
putting various parameters into a general purpose physics model. So maybe we're
still a long way off having sims which are based on pure science rather than the
messy combination of art and craft which seems to be required to make something
feel realistic.

> Hey, we get spammed about 3d walkthroughs

It's nice that someone thinks we're important enough to spam. But they're so
clueless they also spammed the flight-sim group. That's even closer to
archeological status than this place!

Andrew McP
Old March 13th 11, 11:57 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mr T

On Mar 11, 7:22*pm, (Andrew MacPherson)
wrote:

> I may well be saved from my Nascar itch though. The price to import that title will
> probably put me off. PS3 games are expensive enough to start with without the
> import premium to discourage me from taking a gamble. And I do think some of the
> videos show some exceptionally dubious physics. That's never a good sign.
>
> ...some physics modules and get close enough without kidnapping Dave Kaemmer

Dave Kaemmer already created the best Nascar game available on the
market (nr2003). iRacing NASCAR probably beats it but as I haven't
tried it and don't want to pay for the privilege I can't say for sure.
Just because nr2003 is old it doesn't mean the game's not good any
more. If you want the latest cars you can download the 2011 Sprint cup
mod from Bullring which I guarrantee will still be more realistic than
the new Nascar game coming out. I have to agree with your assessment
of the new game. The drawn in draft lines are bit of a give away as to
how arcade it's going be. It doesn't sound like they're going to
release a PC version so you won't even be able to add any "realism"
mods. I had to download the realism mod for GTR2 after I'd been
playing the original GTR for so long as the original was much more
realistic.

Mike T
Old March 14th 11, 03:17 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Lou

"Jack Sampson" > wrote in message
> What happened to this place? It used to be a great place to discuss
> NASCAR 1 and NASCAR 2.
>
> Shame it died off, real shame.

This is probably the first NG I posted to when I needed some info on how
to make my own steering and pedal controllers for Nascar 1 and
Indycar Racing games.
Then Unreal came out and I got hooked on FPS games.
The pc.games.action NG has slowed down also but not nearly as dead as this
NG.
Mostly still the old timer gamers posting about how the new games have
consolitus
(what we use to call arcade-ish).

I still play auto racing sim games also, but because there is not much to
see here
lately, (except maybe talk about iRacing that I don't do) I rarely check it
out.

If we had more posts here, then maybe it would get viewed and posted to
more.

Old March 16th 11, 02:57 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Uwe

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 19:17:31 -0700, Lou wrote:

> If we had more posts here, then maybe it would get viewed and posted to
> more.

I agree it's a bit of a chicken and egg problems, but youngsters these
days won't enjoy the usenet experience with its lack of bouncing
smileys, humongous embedded gifs and so on... no avatar pics possible,
either.

Now get off my lawn, I'm back to lurking ;-)

All the best, Uwe

Old March 16th 11, 10:38 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

I think NG's never really caught on with most users. For me they were
invaluable. I have been sim racing since Indy 500 The Simulation came
out about 20 yrs. ago & I got so much help from this group with
anything from H/W to S/W and EVERYTHING in between. I think people use
the forums that are avaliable for there paticular game. I use the
iRacing forums now and the following is Huge. Just my 2 cents.

Doug

On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 18:06:42 -0800 (PST), Jack Sampson

Old March 19th 11, 04:00 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PW[_3_]

>From what I've seen the new Nascar game will be very arcade like. They
>talk about realism (as they all do) but quite often it's just hype to
>get the armchair wannabe racers thinking they can actually drive a
>race car. I hope Shift 2 will be different like they've been promoting
>but I wouldn't be putting any money on it.
>
>Mike.

What new NASCAR game? Not for the PC, right?

-pw
Old March 19th 11, 08:43 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

(PW) wrote:

> What new NASCAR game? Not for the PC, right?

http://www.virtualr.net/nascar-the-g...ur-new-videos/

You're right, not for the PC unfortunately. Based on some of the physics in recent
videos I'm not sure we'll be missing much. It might have been a bit of fun though,
and a change from running N2003 when I feel the need to practice turning left.

Andrew McP