97 Chevy S10 4wh H not engageing

Old August 9th 08, 06:32 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Verizon newsgroup

Default 97 Chevy S10 4wh H not engageing

I had my truck inspected & they had to replace the Idler arm. Ever since my 4wh H (electronic engage) clicks when I hit the button but will not engage. Also, I have a steep hill to climb traveling home every time I get close to the top my AC center vents go to defrost. I'm not sure if these problems are related but they started at the same time (I also had to have my emergency brake cable replaced for Inspection).

I have taken it back to the place that worked on it and they can't find the cause for either problem. I bought an AC control at a junk yard (Grade A) didn't help the AC vent problem. Could it be the round black part that holds the vacuum (mounted to the hood).

My plan is to have a trany shop take a look at the 4wh. I really do use it every day to climb my steep gravel driveway. I've had several people ask me what do you need 4wh for this time of year.

Thanks,
Gary
Old August 9th 08, 06:59 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Reed

Verizon newsgroup wrote:
> I had my truck inspected & they had to replace the Idler arm. Ever
> since my 4wh H (electronic engage) clicks when I hit the button but will
> not engage. Also, I have a steep hill to climb traveling home every
> time I get close to the top my AC center vents go to defrost. I'm not
> sure if these problems are related but they started at the same time (I
> also had to have my emergency brake cable replaced for Inspection).
>
> I have taken it back to the place that worked on it and they can't find
> the cause for either problem. I bought an AC control at a junk yard
> (Grade A) didn't help the AC vent problem. Could it be the round black
> part that holds the vacuum (mounted to the hood).
>
> My plan is to have a trany shop take a look at the 4wh. I really do use
> it every day to climb my steep gravel driveway. I've had several people
> ask me what do you need 4wh for this time of year.
>
> Thanks,
> Gary

I would check the vacuum hose that feeds the actuator for the
front axle. If it is loose or broken, it could cause both
symptoms. I had an S-10 that did this. Battery gas had eaten thru
the hose. I was on a pass over the Continental Divide in Colorado
when I discovered this.

Old August 10th 08, 12:43 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
PeterD

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 17:32:49 GMT, "Verizon newsgroup"
> wrote:

>I had my truck inspected & they had to replace the Idler arm. Ever since my 4wh H (electronic engage) clicks when I hit the button but will not engage. Also, I have a steep hill to climb traveling home every time I get close to the top my AC center vents go to defrost. I'm not sure if these problems are related but they started at the same time (I also had to have my emergency brake cable replaced for Inspection).
>
>I have taken it back to the place that worked on it and they can't find the cause for either problem. I bought an AC control at a junk yard (Grade A) didn't help the AC vent problem. Could it be the round black part that holds the vacuum (mounted to the hood).
>
>My plan is to have a trany shop take a look at the 4wh. I really do use it every day to climb my steep gravel driveway. I've had several people ask me what do you need 4wh for this time of year.
>
>Thanks,
>Gary

(Invest in a real NNTP reader, get Thunderbird. What you are using
makes posts that are virtually impossible to read!)

I'd say you have either a major vacuum leak, or some problem
generating vacuum. (Gut says the latter, but I'd check the entire
system including the intake).

And, yes, the problems are probably related.

Oh, and never buy parts until you know the old one is defective.