iRacing = crack in a box

Old June 6th 08, 10:03 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
btgoss

Default iRacing = crack in a box

Ok.
So what am I going to need to bring to the dance to get the most out
of this sim?

I dropped out of the Beta a loooong time ago from cancer, and while
things are much better (still alive, obviously) I really haven't kept
my computer up to bleeding edge.
I have a p4 3Gig Extreme with 2 gigs of Ram, and I will be getting a
new video card (maybe) if these bare bones will work. If not, then I
am going to wait and build a new system.

I really feel this is the type of game/sim I want now. Not just
because it is very local for me with Legends, Modifieds, and Late
Models. But as someone who beta tested and played Motor City Online, I
have always wanted a "serious" type of racing MMO, and this looks to
be it.

btgoss

Old June 6th 08, 10:12 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony R

btgoss wrote:
> Ok.
> So what am I going to need to bring to the dance to get the most out
> of this sim?
>
> I dropped out of the Beta a loooong time ago from cancer, and while
> things are much better (still alive, obviously) I really haven't kept
> my computer up to bleeding edge.
> I have a p4 3Gig Extreme with 2 gigs of Ram, and I will be getting a
> new video card (maybe) if these bare bones will work. If not, then I
> am going to wait and build a new system.

That sounds fine, many seem to be running the beta with much lower
specs. Obviously the better the video card the better. Is it a
PCI-Express card slot?

Glad to hear you are better.

Cheers
Tony
Old June 6th 08, 10:13 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony R

Andrew MacPherson wrote:

> I've still got my fingers crossed that I'll hate it. I've almost given up
> gaming completely, and the 'beast' down the desk hasn't been switched on
> for weeks. Actually it might nearly be months.

Better turn the filter on, not a single "it's no GPL" in the house...
Old June 6th 08, 11:04 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jack[_15_]

btgoss wrote:
> Ok.
> So what am I going to need to bring to the dance to get the most out
> of this sim?
>
> I dropped out of the Beta a loooong time ago from cancer, and while
> things are much better (still alive, obviously) I really haven't kept
> my computer up to bleeding edge.
> I have a p4 3Gig Extreme with 2 gigs of Ram, and I will be getting a
> new video card (maybe) if these bare bones will work. If not, then I
> am going to wait and build a new system.
>
> I really feel this is the type of game/sim I want now. Not just
> because it is very local for me with Legends, Modifieds, and Late
> Models. But as someone who beta tested and played Motor City Online, I
> have always wanted a "serious" type of racing MMO, and this looks to
> be it.
>
> btgoss

Depending on how recent you were testing,you can probably get by with
what you have.I was on it today and the new updates from IRacing
increased my fps from 83 to 172. I will say the graphics are
outstanding,car feel is excellent,the racing I have done in testing has
been fun except it seems to use the old papy net code.Not really sure
tho,but the ARCA sim seems much better in it's online code.Thats the
only negative I found in testing.If the pricing and structure are
something you can live with,then by all means go for it,you won't be
disapointed.
Old June 6th 08, 11:39 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
==--==

I'm really lucky then.........

I get points 1 THROUGH 5 -inclusive- completely satisfied in the leagues I
am in now (rFactor)

And my cost PER month, PER car, PER track - ZERO (or PRICELESS)

You're absolutely right Larry, it (iRacing) is not for everyone.
It's going to be interesting to see how it develops.

==--==

Old June 6th 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
House Of The White Rose

Jack > wrote in
:

> Well I have been testing it about a month,I don't think I'll be
> subscribing after release.Yea ,it's good but not sure it's that much
> better than the other racing sims that are out there now.At least not
> good enough to justify the pricing to me.

Thanks for being honest, unlike the other sycphantic beta tester.What you
posted is what I suspected all along.
Old June 6th 08, 11:59 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
House Of The White Rose

"Larry" > wrote in :

> 1. Am tired of online crash fests.
> 2. Truly, TRULY sick of the whole mod thing. Really, I am. I just
> wanna race these days without all that nonsense.
> 3. Love the idea of a centralized scoring system.
> 4. Love the idea of people racing under their REAL names.
> 5. People being responsible for their actions.
>
> And a bunch more.
>
> -Larry

Then why didn't you just buy Live For Speed? It has all that you want (real
name is optional) and does't have a monthly subscription fee.
Old June 7th 08, 01:52 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

If you can run today's sims without trouble, iRacing will be fine.

-Larry

Old June 7th 08, 01:55 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

I have Live For Speed. Haven't run it in over 2 years.

I can tell from your posts that you don't need any input on this, either
way. You've made up your mind. That's fine.

-Larry