Passenger side front window

Old August 24th 04, 11:36 AM
bill

Default Passenger side front window

Hi,

The passenger side front window on my 91 200TQ shattered day before
yesterday. Don't quite know how it happened, got in the car, shut the
driver's door, and BAM, glass all over the passenger seat. Is this
something that a novice can fix? I know with the windshield, there are the
seals and everything else that would make me not even attempt it, but do the
side windows have similar aspects, or is it just get rid of the broken
pieces and put the new in?

Thank you
Enjoy
Bill

91 Audi 200TQ
96 Chevy K1500

Old August 24th 04, 08:02 PM
Tony

If you look on the bottom of the plastic you will see a small slot.
Inside the slot is a release for the glass part of the mirror which is a
nylon lever with small teeth on it. Use a small screwdriver to push the
toothed lever in (or out). I think in releases it but can't remember for
sure.

Once it is released the glass will pull out easily and you will then
disconnect a wire on a spade connector. The wire is for the heating
element and is mad of aluminum. It will probably break off but on the
old one that is no problem. Just be careful when installing the new one
to avoid breaking the connector.

Replacements are available from dealer and after market (cheaper) sources.

A thread on the same subject at the AudiWorld forum:
http://www.audiworld.com/search/

For a replacement contact:
Chris at force5auto.com

Easy fix.

Tony
'91 100q 5spd

Old August 24th 04, 09:34 PM
Steve Sears

Tony,
Yep, that works well for the mirror, but I hope Bill isn't looking for some
small plastic tabs holding his window on ;-)
Bill,
Somebody may have been trying to get into your car by prying the window out,
or it may have been something as simple as a strategically placed stone chip
and a partially rolled down window.
Yes, you can replace the window without much headache, actually a bit less
than the windshield because there's not the huge amounts of adhesive to
contend with. The doors of the Type 44 cars are assembled in essentially 3
pieces: skin, window frame, and inside mounting frame. Remove the interior
door panel and you'll see how it all goes together - basically the inside
mounting frame is bolted to the skin, and the window frame is mounted
between the two. Make sure you mark the relative position of everything,
and don't lose the shims between the skin and the mounting frame. The
window itself will be super easy to get - junkyards are full of Type 44 cars
(mostly 5000's) - check out www.car-part.com IIRC, the window mounts on the
regulator shuttle with a couple of bolts. If you want to keep your window
frame, you'll have to slide the upper window guide out of its track - I must
note that any weatherstripping that was exposed to the shattered window may
now contain glass bits that will damage the replacement window - it may be
better to replace the whole window and frame as a unit (and the door skin
sill stripping as well). The Bentley Manual will be a help, and so will:
Chris Miller's web site: http://members.aol.com/c1j1miller/body.html#Window
regulator cable repair
Cheers!
Steve Sears
1987 Audi 5kTQ
1980 Audi 5k
1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes
(SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
. ..

Old August 24th 04, 11:02 PM
bill

Steve and Tony,

Thank you for your replys. It is the window that broke, not the mirror.
The mirror I had replaced before because of the discoloring around the
edges. As for how the window broke, I'm believing that heat built up in the
car, and the pressure of closing the door shattered the window, which would
be odd since it didn't get real hot in NH over the weekend. It couldn't
have been someone trying to break in (unless they were really stupid since
the door was unlocked, I live in a very safe neighborhood). The stone chip
idea had crossed my mind, but that would mean that a neighbor kicked one up
while weedwacking and didn't tell me about it, so, for my own piece of mind,
I'm not going to focus on that. I have found a new window from Force5Auto,
$40 seems pretty cheap to me. I do have the Bently manual that I looked at,
it seemed relatively easy, but, I've noticed they assume you all ready kind
of know what you're doing, so it sometimes seems easier than it actually is.
I haven't looked in the book for this particular yet, but is it best to have
the window down or up while changing it?

Thanks again
Bill

.. .

Old August 25th 04, 07:27 AM
Tony

Whoops .. Jumping to conclusions.

Tony

146 Driver Side Window dean Alfa Romeo 1 December 4th 04 01:35 PM
known weakness in A4, A6, Allroad front suspension arm? Julius Vindex Audi 2 August 23rd 04 06:17 PM
Alfa 33 front window [email protected] Alfa Romeo 2 July 21st 04 08:59 AM
A4 - Front Wheel Bearings ? Graeme Audi 1 July 15th 04 12:47 PM
alfa 164 super v6 turbo front end sag sonnyp Alfa Romeo 0 May 6th 04 05:30 PM