Buzzing

Old November 11th 04, 07:30 PM
Stefan Misterek

Default Buzzing

Hi there,

I brought my 2001 320Ci to my dealership for them to put in a hands-free kit
into it for my cell phone. They placed the microphone in front of the
odometer. Since then I have this buzzing sound when the fuel economy display
is moving. Has anyone got any similar problems with his car? My BMW dealer
said that this is a common thing that happens and that nothing can be done
against it.

Before they put in the handsfree kit I never had this buzzing sound.

Thanks
Stefan

Old November 11th 04, 08:01 PM
TonyK

"Stefan Misterek" > wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I brought my 2001 320Ci to my dealership for them to put in a hands-free

kit
> into it for my cell phone. They placed the microphone in front of the
> odometer. Since then I have this buzzing sound when the fuel economy

display
> is moving. Has anyone got any similar problems with his car? My BMW dealer
> said that this is a common thing that happens and that nothing can be done
> against it.
>
> Before they put in the handsfree kit I never had this buzzing sound.
>
> Thanks
> Stefan

Yes and no. Yes, apparently all too common and no, something can be done
about it. If you Google on "BMW bluetooth and harmann kardon" you should
find something. It is a known problem to BMW but most dealers don't appear
to recognise it.

Old November 11th 04, 09:06 PM
mjc

Yes. The mic wires are picking up the RF given off from the current in the
other wires. SHIELD THE MIC WIRES for/from all other wiring.

Old November 11th 04, 09:56 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
mjc > wrote:
> Yes. The mic wires are picking up the RF given off from the current in
> the other wires. SHIELD THE MIC WIRES for/from all other wiring.

Could also be a grounding problem if it happens when the mic isn't live.

--
*Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old November 12th 04, 10:32 AM
td

Hi,

Firstly, they should have put your mic in the proper place. above the
rear-view mirror in the roof lining. next to where the sunroof switch is!

Now more importantly, I have a 2001 330ci (49,000KM) and also have the same
low level buzzing as the fuel economy gauge moves. My dealer tells me that
it is the stepper motor and they are kindly replacing the whole instrument
cluster next week. its not common as I have driven other 330CIs and they
don't do it.

Tuan