E28 - lowering suspension on M535i to M5 level - how much?

Old October 31st 04, 04:36 PM
bfd

Default E28 - lowering suspension on M535i to M5 level - how much?

"DRP535" > wrote in message
>I want to lower my E28 M535i's suspension to the same level as a stock
> standard E28 M5 was. The main reason for doing so is because the dampers
> in
> my M535i are seized solid and need to be replaced regardless seeing as how
> they're now 18 years old.
>
> I figure it would be sensible to replace the springs at the same time
> (save
> on a bit of labour) and have the car lowered *slightly* as well. I already
> have it fitted with genuine E28 M5 wheels, so lowering to the level of a
> genuine E28 M5 will not look at all out of place.
>
> I don't want to go overboard though. I don't want to look like a ricer
> with
> a ridiculously lowered kerb scraper. I just want to go as low as the
> original genuine E28 M5 was, no lower or higher.
>
> Can anyone tell me how much lower front and rear the M5's were from the
> M-Technic suspension the M535i's got as standard? I'm talking about a
> European delivered car here obviously as the USA never got the M535i.
> Judging by the photos of E28 M5's I have, it won't be much. I'm guessing
> maybe only 3/4" front and maybe 1/2" rear??

Contact Maxmillian Imports, they should be able to provide you with "M-tech"
parts for your suspension. Alternatively, if you can't find M-tech parts,
check out Dinan. Expensive, but will only "lower" your car about the amount
you cite.

Old October 31st 04, 05:35 PM
tech27

"bfd" > wrote in message

> "DRP535" > wrote in message
>>I want to lower my E28 M535i's suspension to the same level as a stock
>> standard E28 M5 was. The main reason for doing so is because the dampers
>> in
>> my M535i are seized solid and need to be replaced regardless seeing as
>> how
>> they're now 18 years old.

Be very careful when using M parts on non-M vehicles. Although the actual
part may fit properly, it may not work as well as the direct replacement.
This is especially true of suspensions. There are many stories of horrible
problems caused by substituting an M part thinking that it would be better
than the non-M part. The swap actually made many other things worse.
Especially suspensions because it is designed to work as a unit.

Just my 2 cents worth of caution.

---

Old November 1st 04, 01:08 PM
adder

"tech27" > wrote in message . to.verio.net>...
> "bfd" > wrote in message
>
> Be very careful when using M parts on non-M vehicles. Although the actual
> part may fit properly, it may not work as well as the direct replacement.
> This is especially true of suspensions. There are many stories of horrible
> problems caused by substituting an M part thinking that it would be better
> than the non-M part. The swap actually made many other things worse.
> Especially suspensions because it is designed to work as a unit.

He already has "M" parts but not M5 parts.
I put eibach springs on my E36 (with M suspension from the factory
btw) and it lowered it maybe half an inch - just enough to make the
wheel gaps more even. The ride & handling after that was
*fantastic*.
Old November 1st 04, 06:02 PM
Tomislav Buric

"adder" > wrote in message
om...
> He already has "M" parts but not M5 parts.
> I put eibach springs on my E36 (with M suspension from the factory
> btw) and it lowered it maybe half an inch - just enough to make the
> wheel gaps more even. The ride & handling after that was
> *fantastic*.

Agree on this one. I have -3 cm Eibach springs&Sachs M tech shocks, car is
sticked on the road.

--
1991 E36 M20
t.

Old November 2nd 04, 09:55 AM
adder

"Tomislav Buric" > wrote in message >...
> "adder" > wrote in message
> om...
> > He already has "M" parts but not M5 parts.
> > I put eibach springs on my E36 (with M suspension from the factory
> > btw) and it lowered it maybe half an inch - just enough to make the
> > wheel gaps more even. The ride & handling after that was
> > *fantastic*.

> Agree on this one. I have -3 cm Eibach springs&Sachs M tech shocks, car is
> sticked on the road.
>
> --
> 1991 E36 M20
> t.

Funny, I used Sachs M shocks too - I found them not quite stiff enough
for the eibachs in the real twisty country lanes but just fine
otherwise. Gave my car a new lease of life - I couldn't believe how
well the car was stuck to the road & the cornering was probably better
than my current E46 M3. I had S02s/S03 on the E36 though and
not-so-good contis on the M3.
Old November 2nd 04, 05:16 PM
Tomislav Buric

"adder" > wrote in message
om...

> Funny, I used Sachs M shocks too - I found them not quite stiff enough
> for the eibachs in the real twisty country lanes but just fine
> otherwise.

Every once in a while we have track days events and I'm apsolutely satisfied
with the performance, both on the track and road. Prior to Sachs I had
Bilstein.

--
t.