silly bulb replacement question

Old September 20th 04, 12:30 AM
Roger Levy

Default silly bulb replacement question

96 Golf GL needs rear brake bulb replacement. According to the owners
manual this is done from the inside but the interior liner in the area
seems to be be quite permanently attached. There are a couple of clips
but in other places the liner seems to be anchored underneath brackets
and even sewn down. Can someone please explain how I can remove the
liner easily because it isn't obvious to me.

RHL

Old September 20th 04, 01:47 AM
John

there should be some plastic screws with allen type head that secure the
liner . Good luck getting them back in , not an easy task.

Old September 20th 04, 12:32 PM
Roger Levy

Are they screws or clips? I put an allen wrench on them and they just
turn without loosening. I don't want to ruin them by prying if they're
actually screws -- my wife loves this little car and in 8 years (only
45K) the only other significant problem has been the molding strips
falling off. BTW it really does look like the screws/clips are not the
only thing holding the liner in place.

RHL

Old September 20th 04, 02:31 PM
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Roger Levy wrote:

>96 Golf GL needs rear brake bulb replacement. According to the owners
>manual this is done from the inside but the interior liner in the area
>seems to be be quite permanently attached.

Is the liner somewhat loose at the top? My Golf confused me
initially. I reach in from the top around the liner, and pinch two
plastic tabs that lets the plastic assembly pull away. I slide the
assembly out of the top (still tethered by wires). Replace the
bulbs.

The clips from memory are on approximately the middle (vertically)
outside edge of the plastic, if I remember.

Old September 20th 04, 02:42 PM
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Tom's VR6 wrote:

>Is the liner somewhat loose at the top? My Golf confused me
>initially. I reach in from the top around the liner, and pinch two
>plastic tabs that lets the plastic assembly pull away. I slide the
>assembly out of the top (still tethered by wires).

On second thought, maybe it was not tethered. Been a while.

Old September 20th 04, 04:48 PM
Rob Guenther

The trunk lining and trim in my 99.5 is all held in by clips, my 91 also had
clips holding trim/carpet into place... Doubt it changed with the A3's.

Old September 20th 04, 08:01 PM
William Maslin

In article <zEo3d.4233$4j1.2511@trndny06>, Roger Levy >
wrote:

> 96 Golf GL needs rear brake bulb replacement. According to the owners
> manual this is done from the inside but the interior liner in the area
> seems to be be quite permanently attached. There are a couple of clips
> but in other places the liner seems to be anchored underneath brackets
> and even sewn down. Can someone please explain how I can remove the
> liner easily because it isn't obvious to me.
>
> RHL

You have to pull those little round "buttons" off here and there and
then bend/flex/untuck the lining until you can get at the tail light
assembly. It's scary at first because you think you're going to ruin
the lining, but you can do it. The little buttons come off fairly
easily without destroying themselves. Just pry them off.

Actually, it would be best to replace all the bulbs while you're in
there as I can guarantee that another one will be blown within a year.
BTDT.

Now the little buttons on that plastic strip under the windshield...man
I can't figure out HOW to get those little rascals out!

Bill
78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93
95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02

--

Take out the invalid if replying by email
Old September 22nd 04, 01:23 PM
Roger Levy

Here's what I did after reading all the responses. I pried the biggest
round screw or clip which was the only one on the tail end rather than
the rear side. It was indeed a clip -- all plastic with several ridges
around the circumference of the shaft. The outer edge of the liner
along the lid opening was glued down. Since there was edge stitching it
actually gave the appearance of being sewn down. I peeled away enough
liner to replace the bulb. After pressing the clip back in its hole the
edge of the liner was no longer glued or completely flush but it is
fairly rigid and that keeps it close to the inner body. Thanks for the