QUESTION: Inner Tie Rod Ends On 1996 GT

Old June 22nd 08, 01:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
EADGBE

Default QUESTION: Inner Tie Rod Ends On 1996 GT

It is time for me to renew the steering components on my 1996 Mustang
GT (over 120,000 miles).

I have purchased a set of new TRW inner tie rod ends, and I have
rented the proper inner tie rod long socket tool that is needed to
remove and install these parts.

However, I won't be able to use this tool to install the TRW tie rod
ends, because the tool socket will not slide past the "shoulder" of
the tie rod end's ball socket. The very end of the ball socket casing
has the proper hex shape, but the "shoulder" of the casing where the
ball resides is much too large.

Should I try to use another brand of tie rod end that will (hopefully)
fit my tie rod tool? Or should I try to use a crow's foot wrench to
install the new tie rod ends? (Or should I even try to use a regular
crescent wrench?)

I am thinking of returning the tie rod end tool, but I'm keeping it
for now, in case I can possibly use it to remove the old tie rod ends.

Has anyone ever run into this situation?

Many thanks in advance for whatever advice/tips you can give. I do
not want to get stuck halfway through this repair!

Old June 22nd 08, 06:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jim Warman

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-45750-In.../dp/B0002SRGFW is my "weapon
of choice". (Actually, not this exact one... but very similar and a little
spendier). The "wrench" is slid on to the hex of the TRE and then the tube
is slid down over the "wrench".

I have several "size dedicated" tube sockets.... they are, more or less,
toolbox eye candy..

Old June 22nd 08, 08:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Kruse

On Jun 22, 1:25 pm, "Jim Warman" > wrote:

Top AND bottom posting......
I'm sure you've made everybody happy now Jim!

Or, not.........

(Don't you just love the internet police?)
Old June 22nd 08, 09:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jim Warman

Well.... we'll just have to wait and see.... I'm sure that many will dwell
on this part of my reply and find me to be a disgusting waste of oxygen...
These people will deny the "other" part of my reply (see below) and find
great glee in the fact that they will avoid doing anything with any
significant meaning.

Still others (trapped in some neanderthal internet time warp) that have
little better than dial up "turtlenet" will find my disregard for bandwidth
abhorrant. I will be duly chastised for some form of "cross" posting...
Still, this is much better than "cross dressing".

The modern world is the modern world.... We can spend our time bitching
about stuff.... Or we can actually become part of the solution... Me? I'm
gonna keep poking at the dog with a stick....

Old June 23rd 08, 12:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Frank ess

Dogs with sticks can be dangerous. Be cautious.

Old June 23rd 08, 02:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jim Warman

You sneaky SOB...

Old June 23rd 08, 02:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
EADGBE

Thanks so much for the information so far...

It looks like I rented the wrong tool. I'm going to have to bite the
bullet and get the "semi-circle" tool instead.

Thanks again!
Old June 23rd 08, 03:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Frank ess

Yes, us Serene Old Boys are Sneaky.

Selah.