1996 MUSTANG GT: What Went Wrong?

Old December 30th 08, 08:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.autos.ford
EADGBE

Default 1996 MUSTANG GT: What Went Wrong?

I have a 1996 Mustang GT with the NEW, RE-DESIGNED
intake manifold.

This new intake manifold has been on the car for about
2 years with no problems at all.

But now I keep getting the trouble code saying that there
is a misfire on the number 8 spark plug. (The plug
next to the driver's side firewall.)

I pull the spark plug boot and immediately notice that it is
wet with coolant.

The car runs VERY rough now, because of the wet
spark plug.

At this point, what are my possible repair options? How
can I fix what appears to be a coolant leak?

I recently moved to a much colder climate. Could this
be a factor?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated. THANKS....

Old December 30th 08, 09:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.autos.ford
SC Tom[_2_]

"EADGBE" > wrote in message
>I have a 1996 Mustang GT with the NEW, RE-DESIGNED
> intake manifold.
>
> This new intake manifold has been on the car for about
> 2 years with no problems at all.
>
> But now I keep getting the trouble code saying that there
> is a misfire on the number 8 spark plug. (The plug
> next to the driver's side firewall.)
>
> I pull the spark plug boot and immediately notice that it is
> wet with coolant.
>
> The car runs VERY rough now, because of the wet
> spark plug.
>
> At this point, what are my possible repair options? How
> can I fix what appears to be a coolant leak?
>
> I recently moved to a much colder climate. Could this
> be a factor?
>
> Any help would be MUCH appreciated. THANKS....

First thing to do would be find and fix the coolant leak, if it is coolant
and not just a leak from around the back of the hood or from melting ice.
Maybe you could trace the water trail back from where it looks like it's
coming from to get to the plug. Does that make sense- coolant will leave an
oil-like trace when it dries.
Use a good dielectric grease on the boot- that may help keep the water from
shorting out that plug.

SC Tom

DADGBD Neil Young tuning- Cinnamon Girl and numerous other songs.

Old December 31st 08, 02:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.autos.ford

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 16:24:27 -0500, "SC Tom" > wrote:

>"EADGBE" > wrote in message
>>I have a 1996 Mustang GT with the NEW, RE-DESIGNED
>> intake manifold.
>>
>> This new intake manifold has been on the car for about
>> 2 years with no problems at all.
>>
>> But now I keep getting the trouble code saying that there
>> is a misfire on the number 8 spark plug. (The plug
>> next to the driver's side firewall.)
>>
>> I pull the spark plug boot and immediately notice that it is
>> wet with coolant.
>>
>> The car runs VERY rough now, because of the wet
>> spark plug.
>>
>> At this point, what are my possible repair options? How
>> can I fix what appears to be a coolant leak?
>>
>> I recently moved to a much colder climate. Could this
>> be a factor?
>>
>> Any help would be MUCH appreciated. THANKS....
>>

>First thing to do would be find and fix the coolant leak, if it is coolant
>and not just a leak from around the back of the hood or from melting ice.
>Maybe you could trace the water trail back from where it looks like it's
>coming from to get to the plug. Does that make sense- coolant will leave an
>oil-like trace when it dries.
>Use a good dielectric grease on the boot- that may help keep the water from
>shorting out that plug.
>
>SC Tom
>
>DADGBD Neil Young tuning- Cinnamon Girl and numerous other songs.

better than 90% chance you have a bad intake gasket. Small chance you
have a frost plug seaping
Old December 31st 08, 12:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.autos.ford
EADGBE

On Dec 30, 9:58*pm, wrote:

> better than 90% chance you have a bad intake gasket. Small chance you
> have a frost plug seaping

If I recall correctly, the intake has no gaskets; there are O-rings
around
every passage opening. The O-rings are seated in little grooves that
are molded into the intake.
Old January 5th 09, 03:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.autos.ford
Ricky Forrest

The heater hot water hose connects to the fire wall close by. Those
hoses do get old and will leak. Check that out. It is likely your
problem. Thats what happened on my T-bird.
Old January 5th 09, 03:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.autos.ford
nada[_3_]

Ricky Forrest wrote:
> The heater hot water hose connects to the fire wall close by. Those
> hoses do get old and will leak. Check that out. It is likely your

problem. Thats what happened on my T-bird
My 96 GT did the same thing.
The 4.6 motor plastic intake manifold WILL crack, on the very back of
the manifold and spew out all the coolant.
I had my to do it right after the warranty expired. They reimbursed me
it was over 400.00 at the time. My brother's Ford did the same thing a
few weeks ago.
I have heard of several others. There may have been a recall. There
should have been but I haven't heard of one, at least being in effect as
of now.