80 amp fuse update

Old February 10th 10, 08:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default Dumbest thing done to a car thread (was 80 amp fuse update)

Frank Berger wrote:

> Glad you enyoyed it. To add to my legacy - I'm in Israel visiting my
> daughter & family. Earlier today I was pushing a stroller with a box of
> books in it down a hill, lost my balance and fell forward. My football
> training kicked in and I tucked and rolled and popped up without a scratch.
> Not bad for a 62 year old.

I just turned 40, and I don't think that I would have done any better,
maybe not as well.

No football training though, I am sort of the anti-jock. My best sport
is table tennis.....

Old February 10th 10, 08:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default Dumbest thing done to a motorcycle thread (was 80 amp fuse update)

XS11E wrote:

> I'm a pretty aggressive driver but I've made it over 300,000 miles on
> motorcycles w/o any major wrecks.... One minor one I do recall is
> riding into San Diego on a MotoGuzzi and needing gas. I got off the
> freeway, pulled into a station, stopped and fell over! The Goose had
> fairly high foot pegs and my leg had gone completely to sleep, I did
> put my foot down but it couldn't hold any weight.....
>
> BTW, that trip was where I set a World Land Speed Record, 85MPH past a
> CHIP officer on I-8 nearing downtown San Diego during the 55mph days
> w/o a ticket!
>
> I needed gas (see above), was in the middle lane watching for an exit
> when I heard a honk, looked to my left and saw I was passing the CHIP
> <GULP>.
>
> He pointed to his speedometer, I rolled off the gas and we both went on
> our way, me a 54 mph, you better believe it!

I lost one friend to a automobile fatality during my pre-30 year old
days, and no really serious auto accidents to any friends or family.

By contrast, I had two friends die and two friends who needed pins in
their major legs bones after having wrecks on motorcycles. I also know
one former co-worker who suffered severe back injuries when rear-ended
at a light.
Would those same injuries have happened if he had been in a car? Maybe,
but I doubt it. My guess is that the back injuries would have been a
lot less, maybe no more than whiplash.

I just have a feeling that I would not be beating the odds. I am not an
extremely aggressive driver, just a fairly unlucky one...... :-)

Lots of people here who have driven bikes for a long time with no major
problems, though, so maybe I could have been one of them.

I do have a friend who is a motorcycle builder and mechanic who will
build one for me if I ever wanted. I have seen two of his projects and
they are very nicely done.

Also, I know that life itself is not safe, and that nobody gets out of
this life alive.........

Pat

Old February 10th 10, 10:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Domagoj Bagaric[_2_]

XS11E wrote:

> fairly high foot pegs and my leg had gone completely to sleep, I did
> put my foot down but it couldn't hold any weight.....

or a shoe lace loop gets on gear leaver and ooooof y'aaaa goooo!!!
Old February 10th 10, 10:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

pws wrote:
> Frank Berger wrote:
>
>> Glad you enyoyed it. To add to my legacy - I'm in Israel visiting my
>> daughter & family. Earlier today I was pushing a stroller with a
>> box of books in it down a hill, lost my balance and fell forward. My
>> football training kicked in and I tucked and rolled and popped up
>> without a scratch. Not bad for a 62 year old.

> I just turned 40, and I don't think that I would have done any better,
> maybe not as well.
>
> No football training though, I am sort of the anti-jock. My best sport
> is table tennis.....

I used to play. Could never develop a decent serve. Can't win without one.

Old February 10th 10, 10:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

pws wrote:
> XS11E wrote:
>
>> I'm a pretty aggressive driver but I've made it over 300,000 miles on
>> motorcycles w/o any major wrecks.... One minor one I do recall is
>> riding into San Diego on a MotoGuzzi and needing gas. I got off the
>> freeway, pulled into a station, stopped and fell over! The Goose had
>> fairly high foot pegs and my leg had gone completely to sleep, I did
>> put my foot down but it couldn't hold any weight.....
>>
>> BTW, that trip was where I set a World Land Speed Record, 85MPH past
>> a CHIP officer on I-8 nearing downtown San Diego during the 55mph
>> days w/o a ticket!
>>
>> I needed gas (see above), was in the middle lane watching for an exit
>> when I heard a honk, looked to my left and saw I was passing the CHIP
>> <GULP>.
>>
>> He pointed to his speedometer, I rolled off the gas and we both went
>> on our way, me a 54 mph, you better believe it!

> I lost one friend to a automobile fatality during my pre-30 year old
> days, and no really serious auto accidents to any friends or family.
>
> By contrast, I had two friends die and two friends who needed pins in
> their major legs bones after having wrecks on motorcycles. I also know
> one former co-worker who suffered severe back injuries when rear-ended
> at a light.
> Would those same injuries have happened if he had been in a car?
> Maybe, but I doubt it. My guess is that the back injuries would have
> been a lot less, maybe no more than whiplash.
>
> I just have a feeling that I would not be beating the odds. I am not
> an extremely aggressive driver, just a fairly unlucky one...... :-)
>
> Lots of people here who have driven bikes for a long time with no
> major problems, though, so maybe I could have been one of them.
>
> I do have a friend who is a motorcycle builder and mechanic who will
> build one for me if I ever wanted. I have seen two of his projects and
> they are very nicely done.
>
> Also, I know that life itself is not safe, and that nobody gets out of
> this life alive.........
>
> Pat

I know somone who broke is collar bone twice about a year apart, losing
control of his bicyle on loose gravel at exactly the same spot.
When I was a kid, two kids who lived across the street from each other were
killed by cars a week apart. One was a little girl hit right in front of
her house. The other was a teenager. Unfortunately I witnessed his death.
We were talking a shortcut home from track practice in 9th grade across
Wantagh State Parkway on Long Island. We ran across, he dropped his track
spikes, stopped to pick them up and that was the end. Bummer.

Old February 11th 10, 12:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

Back home, got the bucket.......

great stuff!
Chris
99BBB
Old February 11th 10, 12:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

> Glad you enyoyed it. To add to my legacy - I'm in Israel visiting my
> daughter & family. Earlier today I was pushing a stroller with a box of
> books in it down a hill, lost my balance and fell forward. My football
> training kicked in and I tucked and rolled and popped up without a
> scratch. Not bad for a 62 year old.

you're the man!
62 'years to your credit'

cd
99BBB

Old February 11th 10, 12:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

> I know somone who broke is collar bone twice about a year apart, losing
> control of his bicyle on loose gravel at exactly the same spot.
> When I was a kid, two kids who lived across the street from each other
> were killed by cars a week apart. One was a little girl hit right in
> front of her house. The other was a teenager. Unfortunately I witnessed
> his death. We were talking a shortcut home from track practice in 9th
> grade across Wantagh State Parkway on Long Island. We ran across, he
> dropped his track spikes, stopped to pick them up and that was the end.
> Bummer.

Do you ever get over such a shock? Sorry you had to witness such a thing!
cd
99BBB

Old February 11th 10, 12:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

> At least the petcock wasn't already _on_ reserve when you
> reached down to flip it to reserve. My last two motorcycles
> have had fuel gauges, so that hasn't happened to me for a long
> time.
>
> --
> Grant Edwards grante Yow! Inside, I'm
> already
> at SOBBING!
> visi.com

Fuel gauges? Wow, I've been away too long! ;-)

Chris
99BBB

Old February 11th 10, 04:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards[_3_]

On 2010-02-11, Chris D'Agnolo > wrote:

>> At least the petcock wasn't already _on_ reserve when you
>> reached down to flip it to reserve. My last two motorcycles
>> have had fuel gauges, so that hasn't happened to me for a long
>> time.

> Fuel gauges? Wow, I've been away too long! ;-)

Yup. And anti-lock brakes too.

At least it's still air-cooled and has carburetors. Though if
I have to spring for getting the carbs/jets cleaned one more
time I'll probably wish for fuel injection. I'm a
microprocessor and sensor/actuator guy, so at least I
understand fuel injection. Carburetors are pure black magic. I
consider it pretty much a miracle they work at all reliably.

--
Grant