80 amp fuse update

Old February 8th 10, 02:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default 80 amp fuse update

The new fuse is in, and all is well. No more blown fuses after they
drove it last evening.

Thanks, there is now another happy Miata owner in Austin. That was fast
and cheap.

pat
Old February 8th 10, 06:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

pws > wrote:

> The new fuse is in, and all is well. No more blown fuses after
> they drove it last evening.
>
> Thanks, there is now another happy Miata owner in Austin. That was
> fast and cheap.

I don't recall what was causing the fuse to blow, did I miss that?

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old February 9th 10, 12:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

XS11E wrote:

> I don't recall what was causing the fuse to blow, did I miss that?

I promised not to tell on them. You can probably guess at it based on that.

If that doesn't do it, the only "repair" was a new battery and fuse.

Pat
Old February 9th 10, 04:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards[_3_]

On 2010-02-09, pws > wrote:
> XS11E wrote:
>
>> I don't recall what was causing the fuse to blow, did I miss that?

> I promised not to tell on them. You can probably guess at it based on that.
>
> If that doesn't do it, the only "repair" was a new battery and fuse.

Sounds like something involving jumper cables, a lot of sparks,
and some unintentional welding.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I want the presidency
at so bad I can already taste
Old February 9th 10, 04:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards[_3_]

On 2010-02-09, Grant Edwards > wrote:
> On 2010-02-09, pws > wrote:
>> XS11E wrote:
>>
>>> I don't recall what was causing the fuse to blow, did I miss that?

>> I promised not to tell on them. You can probably guess at it based on that.
>>
>> If that doesn't do it, the only "repair" was a new battery and fuse.

> Sounds like something involving jumper cables, a lot of sparks,
> and some unintentional welding.

Not that something like that has ever happened to _me_...

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I'm not available
at for comment..
Old February 9th 10, 07:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Grant Edwards wrote:

>> Sounds like something involving jumper cables, a lot of sparks,
>> and some unintentional welding.

> Not that something like that has ever happened to _me_...

Bingo. I think this was a case of the clamps contacting each other,
which is actually pretty easy to do with that small battery with very
little room above the terminals.
Old February 9th 10, 07:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards[_3_]

On 2010-02-09, pws > wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>>> Sounds like something involving jumper cables, a lot of sparks,
>>> and some unintentional welding.

>> Not that something like that has ever happened to _me_...

> Bingo. I think this was a case of the clamps contacting each other,
> which is actually pretty easy to do with that small battery with very
> little room above the terminals.

It's especially easy in an NB when you're also trying to hold
the trunk carpeting and other stuff up out of the way. I liked
the NA battery access a lot better.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! MERYL STREEP is my
at obstetrician!
Old February 9th 10, 10:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

pws wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>>> Sounds like something involving jumper cables, a lot of sparks,
>>> and some unintentional welding.

>> Not that something like that has ever happened to _me_...

> Bingo. I think this was a case of the clamps contacting each other,
> which is actually pretty easy to do with that small battery with very
> little room above the terminals.

OK. High up on the list of the dumbest things I've ever done was shorting
across the starter and solenoid on my 1976 VW Rabbit to diagnose a starting
problem. *Unfortunately*, the car was in gear and the emergency brake was
off. *Fortunately*, I was standing off to the side of the car and not in
front of it. Had I been in front I would have been pinned between the car
and the chain link fence that stopped it from dropping over a 10 foot ledge.

Old February 9th 10, 10:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default Dumbest thing done to a car thread (was 80 amp fuse update)

Frank Berger wrote:

> OK. High up on the list of the dumbest things I've ever done was shorting
> across the starter and solenoid on my 1976 VW Rabbit to diagnose a starting
> problem. *Unfortunately*, the car was in gear and the emergency brake was
> off. *Fortunately*, I was standing off to the side of the car and not in
> front of it. Had I been in front I would have been pinned between the car
> and the chain link fence that stopped it from dropping over a 10 foot ledge.

OK, what is everyone's dumbest thing done to or with an automobile?

This will take some thought for myself, as there are so many mistakes to
choose from. ;-)

Pat
Old February 10th 10, 12:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

pws > wrote:

> This will take some thought for myself, as there are so many
> mistakes to choose from. ;-)

For me, it was changing oil and forgetting to replace the drain plug.
I replaced the filter, poured in the first quart and noticed the puddle
spreading out from beneath the car.

I knew instantly what I'd done and can't even begin to describe how
stupid I felt....

The Usenet Improvement Project: