80 amp fuse question

Old February 5th 10, 04:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default 80 amp fuse question

On the big 80 amp fuse in the main fuse box on the driver side, (U.S.
models), does that one just pop out with pressure or is there something
else to it? This is on a 1993 model.

My manual is playing hide-n-seek in some moving boxes.

Thanks,

Pat
Old February 7th 10, 09:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
KWS[_2_]

pws wrote:
> On the big 80 amp fuse in the main fuse box on the driver side, (U.S.
> models), does that one just pop out with pressure or is there something
> else to it? This is on a 1993 model.
>
> My manual is playing hide-n-seek in some moving boxes.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Pat

I've never had to mess with the 80A fuse in my '90. The 80A fuse does
not pop out; the fusebox has to be removed from it's mounting (2 nuts)
and it looks like there are two "fuse installation bolts" on each side
of the fusebox that have to be removed. Maybe the '93 is the same.

Here is what the shop manual says:

Cartridge-type 80A fuse (Black)

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable
2. Remove the fuse block mounting nuts, and remove the service cover
3. Remove the fuse installation bolts, and pull out the fuse
4. Install the new fuse and the fuse installation bolts
5. Install the main fuse block
6. Reconnect the negative battery cable

They seem to have forgotten "replace the service cover". No big deal.

Looks easy; let us know how it goes,

Ken

Old February 7th 10, 10:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck[_13_]

Most important is to figure out what caused the 80 A fuse to go before you
think about replacing it.
The fuse does not just "pop" out. Sorry. Some disassembly is required after
you disconnect the battery.

Old February 8th 10, 01:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Chuck wrote:
> Most important is to figure out what caused the 80 A fuse to go before you
> think about replacing it.
> The fuse does not just "pop" out. Sorry. Some disassembly is required after
> you disconnect the battery.

Ken provided the instructions for it, and I finally dug out the manual
as well. The problem that blew the fuse was taken care of previously and
now I just need to grab a new one. (dealer item?)

Thanks!

Pat
Old February 16th 10, 10:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck[_13_]

I could not resist the opportunity to use a take off of the "some assembly
required" bit on many of the recent Christmas items!
Having had the fuse box off some time ago, to do some mods, I didn't feel
that detailed instructions were really necessary, since it became rather
obvious what was needed to change the 80A fuse.

Old February 16th 10, 03:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Chuck wrote:
> I could not resist the opportunity to use a take off of the "some assembly
> required" bit on many of the recent Christmas items!
> Having had the fuse box off some time ago, to do some mods, I didn't feel
> that detailed instructions were really necessary, since it became rather
> obvious what was needed to change the 80A fuse.

I have only pulled three of these fuse boxes apart during Miata
tear-downs, it seems like I might remember how the fuse box was setup.

To my minor defense, I was doing this in a poorly-lit garage that barely
had enough room to fit the Miata in to get it out of the cold rain.

Once I had it outside in reasonable temperatures and could reach
everything nicely without being crammed up against the car, it became a
lot more obvious.

Thanks again,

Pat