Possibly the weirdest of all Miatas?

Old February 2nd 10, 06:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

Default Possibly the weirdest of all Miatas?

He said that he traveled from Flagstaff to Phoenix, Arizona on one
charge. Since Flagstaff at 6900 feet and Phoenix is at 1100 feet,
that trip is mostly all downhill if they went I-17. I would like to
see a more varied terrain used as a test for distance per charge.

Abyss

Good point! I hadn't thought about that 'downhill' thing. Wonder if it could
make the return trip on 1 charge, don't think so.

cd
99BBB

Old February 2nd 10, 07:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

>> you could play miata engine sounds through the stereo - except
>> starting up, i suppose.

> There are actually serious discussions about mandating that
> electric cars produce a minimum amount of noise by adding
> electrical noise-generation at low speeds.
>
> The worry is that they're too quiet for pedestrians (blind and
> otherwise) to hear coming.
>
> --
> Grant

As crazy as it sounds this is true and I think of it almost every day when I
walk across the street at work. I can't see real well to the left and I have
a tendency to trust my ears, and I always think about the article I read
about this issue and I take a double take to be sure.

Chris
99BBB

Old February 2nd 10, 01:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> As crazy as it sounds this is true and I think of it almost every day
> when I walk across the street at work. I can't see real well to the left
> and I have a tendency to trust my ears, and I always think about the
> article I read about this issue and I take a double take to be sure.
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

Even while driving my car it has shocked me to look over and see a
hybrid that has crept up beside me with no noise that I could hear.

I am used to a pretty noisy car that helps let people know where I am
and driving that silently would take some serious getting used to.

Pat
Old February 2nd 10, 04:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Grant Edwards > wrote:

> There are actually serious discussions about mandating that
> electric cars produce a minimum amount of noise by adding
> electrical noise-generation at low speeds.
>
> The worry is that they're too quiet for pedestrians (blind and
> otherwise) to hear coming.

That's for sure, as many of you know I do a lot of my getting around on
a mobility scooter and those things are silent and faster than walking
so I constantly sneak up behind people. I doesn't help that a
scooter/wheelchair is legally a pedestrian so I'm on the sidewalk.

I have to be careful not to startle people, I use the "horn" but it's
often ignored since it's just a little beeper so I holler a lot! <G>

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old February 2nd 10, 09:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

XS11E wrote:

> That's for sure, as many of you know I do a lot of my getting around on
> a mobility scooter and those things are silent and faster than walking
> so I constantly sneak up behind people. I doesn't help that a
> scooter/wheelchair is legally a pedestrian so I'm on the sidewalk.
>
> I have to be careful not to startle people, I use the "horn" but it's
> often ignored since it's just a little beeper so I holler a lot! <G>

How fast do those go? Is it white? Finally, does it have tail fins?

Pat
Old February 2nd 10, 10:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

pws > wrote:

> XS11E wrote:
>
>> That's for sure, as many of you know I do a lot of my getting
>> around on a mobility scooter and those things are silent and
>> faster than walking so I constantly sneak up behind people. I
>> doesn't help that a scooter/wheelchair is legally a pedestrian so
>> I'm on the sidewalk.
>>
>> I have to be careful not to startle people, I use the "horn" but
>> it's often ignored since it's just a little beeper so I holler a
>> lot! <G>

> How fast do those go? Is it white? Finally, does it have tail
> fins?

The little one goes 6mph, it's blue, no tailfins and fits in my van.
http://www.accessams.com/scooters/Ce...lebrity_x.html

The monster goes 8.5 mph, it's black, no tailfins and is too big for
the van.
http://www.easymobilityco.com/merits...ty_scooter.htm

Both go beep beep when I really need H*O*N*K!

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old February 3rd 10, 01:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
XS11E > wrote:

> Both go beep beep when I really need H*O*N*K!

Two words: AIR HORNS

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old February 3rd 10, 03:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Lanny Chambers" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> XS11E > wrote:
>
>> Both go beep beep when I really need H*O*N*K!

> Two words: AIR HORNS
>
> --
> Lanny Chambers
> St. Louis, MO
> '94C

Do ya'all remember the youtube videos of the automobiles with the train air
horns or whatever they are!? People walking down the sidewalk, practically
melting in place when that sound (and accompanying fear / confusion) hits
them!

Maybe get one of these :-)

cd
99BBB

Old February 3rd 10, 07:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Lanny Chambers > wrote:

> In article >,
> XS11E > wrote:
>
>> Both go beep beep when I really need H*O*N*K!

> Two words: AIR HORNS

Problem is that I'm not really in any postion to **** anyone off. I'd
like something louder but not loud enough to startle them so I use a
very polite, "Excuse me, asshole, would you please move your fat, ugly
body? Thank you!"

Any yet they still seem irked, I have no idea why that might be? <G>

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old February 3rd 10, 02:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

XS11E wrote:

> Problem is that I'm not really in any postion to **** anyone off. I'd
> like something louder but not loud enough to startle them so I use a
> very polite, "Excuse me, asshole, would you please move your fat, ugly
> body? Thank you!"
>
> Any yet they still seem irked, I have no idea why that might be? <G>

Well, that is not very nice of you.......... :-)

Pat

How many Miatas have you owned? Chris D'Agnolo Mazda 20 November 12th 08 05:03 AM
Weirdest Mustang I ever saw elaich[_3_] Ford Mustang 3 May 12th 08 05:34 AM
Weirdest auto-related story of the week Padraig Auto Photos 0 May 10th 07 07:48 PM
Automatic Miatas gixer Mazda 30 February 23rd 05 04:15 AM
What year did Miatas go to R-134? jackofspeed Mazda 2 October 5th 04 11:12 PM