Dura-crap battery

Old January 30th 10, 06:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Hal

Default Dura-crap battery

> The leak is coming from the vent hose attachment points, and it was
> doing the same thing a few months ago, that left a nice puddle in the
> trunk.

Are you sure your alternator is not over-charging and causing the
electrolyte to boil out of the battery as a result? It just
seems..odd..to have 3 batteries fail in the same manner.

It's a long shot but maybe check the voltage after the engine has been
running for a few minutes just to be sure....?

Chris
Old January 30th 10, 06:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Hal wrote:

> Are you sure your alternator is not over-charging and causing the
> electrolyte to boil out of the battery as a result?

I have never checked the alternator.

> It just seems..odd..to have 3 batteries fail in the same manner.

Agreed.

> It's a long shot but maybe check the voltage after the engine has been
> running for a few minutes just to be sure....?
>
> Chris

I will check it out, that never occurred to me.

Thanks for the advice!

Pat
Old January 30th 10, 06:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards[_3_]

On 2010-01-30, pws > wrote:
> Christopher Muto wrote:
>> i am not certain, but think it is seattle, wa. the logo in the corner
>> refers to a seattle local news station.
>>
>> Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
>>> Christopher, the cars on ice ping pong was great! Where in the heck
>>> was that?! Must have been a pretty serious incline on that road, eh?

> If I was not such a total weenie regarding cold weather I
> would have likely moved there by now.

Bah. Seattle doesn't have cold weather.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! HELLO, everybody,
at I'm a HUMAN!!
Old January 30th 10, 07:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Grant Edwards wrote:

> Bah. Seattle doesn't have cold weather.

I know some people there who might beg to differ, but these are former
Texans.......

The Washington State area is about the coldest place that I will
consider, I just do not do well with large amounts of snow and ice.

Really, I also like a lot of skin-cancer inducing sunlight so the number
of rainy/overcast days in the Pacific Northwest is a factor as well.

I can handle the insane Texas heat here in the summer, but I think that
the first Minnesota winter would have me in really bad shape.

Pat
Old January 30th 10, 10:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards[_3_]

On 2010-01-30, pws > wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> Bah. Seattle doesn't have cold weather.

> I know some people there who might beg to differ,

Wimps Average lows in Jan/Feb are well above freezing, and
record lows are all above zero.

> but these are former Texans.......

'nuf said.

> I can handle the insane Texas heat here in the summer, but I
> think that the first Minnesota winter would have me in really
> bad shape.

I still laugh when I recall an international corporate sales
and training event held in Minneapolis in late January a few
years back (I was involved in setting up some of the
demo/training hardware). There were several guys from Central
and South America who'd never been anywhere cold before. As
luck would have it, they arrived in the middle of a cold snap
with low temps of -15 to -20 and high temps well below zero.

(At least it's usually sunny when it's that cold.)

Some of them arrived without real coats or mittens. They
seemed a bit stunned -- to say the least. Then the hotel lost
power for most of a day so there was no training sessions or
meetings and absolutely nothing to do unless they went out into
the cold to try their hand and winshield-scraping and winter
driving.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! My face is new, my
at license is expired, and I'm
Old January 31st 10, 12:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
Grant Edwards > wrote:

> Bah. Seattle doesn't have cold weather.

Indeed. Their hummingbirds don't even migrate, but stick around all
winter.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old January 31st 10, 02:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Grant Edwards wrote:

> Wimps Average lows in Jan/Feb are well above freezing, and
> record lows are all above zero.

We did have some 15 to 17 degree weather recently for a whole day or
two. I think it was a record-setter for central Texas. The relatively
low temperature killed a lot of plants, but no ice this time.

> I still laugh when I recall an international corporate sales
> and training event held in Minneapolis in late January a few
> years back (I was involved in setting up some of the
> demo/training hardware). There were several guys from Central
> and South America who'd never been anywhere cold before. As
> luck would have it, they arrived in the middle of a cold snap
> with low temps of -15 to -20 and high temps well below zero.
>
> (At least it's usually sunny when it's that cold.)
>
> Some of them arrived without real coats or mittens. They
> seemed a bit stunned -- to say the least. Then the hotel lost
> power for most of a day so there was no training sessions or
> meetings and absolutely nothing to do unless they went out into
> the cold to try their hand and winshield-scraping and winter
> driving.

That is funny! A friend of mine lives in northern Minnesota and comes
down here for a couple of months every winter.

He drives a motorcycle and likes to get away from the worst of it, but
he would never stay here in the summer.

We had over 30 days of 100+ degree temperatures in the daytime not that
long ago and it never got below 82 or so at night. I had no air
conditioner in my car and did a lot of night driving that summer.

That level of heat starts to get miserable, though I expect XS11E to
come in with a "what a wimp" statement for not being able to handle what
he considers to be perfect weather. :-)

Pat
Old January 31st 10, 02:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Lanny Chambers wrote:

> Indeed. Their hummingbirds don't even migrate, but stick around all
> winter.

Is this where a lot of them migrate to? I don't know if it is fact, but
I read a newspaper article which stated that Texas has more varieties of
hummingbird than any other U.S. state.

Pat
Old January 31st 10, 04:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards[_3_]

On 2010-01-31, pws > wrote:

> He drives a motorcycle and likes to get away from the worst of
> it, but he would never stay here in the summer.
>
> We had over 30 days of 100+ degree temperatures in the daytime
> not that long ago and it never got below 82 or so at night.

When on my motorcycle I always wear a full-face-helmet, gloves,
boots, and heavy leather jacket. I don't think I'd be able to
ride much in weather like that.

> I had no air conditioner in my car and did a lot of night
> driving that summer.
>
> That level of heat starts to get miserable,

Definitely. I can put up with a bit of heat in the desert, but
I can't stand muggy. And the parts of Texas I've spent time in
(mainly around Houston and the gulf coast), defintely qualified
as muggy. Spending a few August days out in the Gulf coast sun
wearing Nomex coveralls was enough Texas for me...

> though I expect XS11E to come in with a "what a wimp"
> statement for not being able to handle what he considers to be
> perfect weather. :-)

I guess it's good somebody likes the weather there, or we'd be
awfully short on petroleum products.

--
Grant

Old January 31st 10, 04:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2010-01-31, pws > wrote:
>
>> He drives a motorcycle and likes to get away from the worst of
>> it, but he would never stay here in the summer.
>>
>> We had over 30 days of 100+ degree temperatures in the daytime
>> not that long ago and it never got below 82 or so at night.

> When on my motorcycle I always wear a full-face-helmet, gloves,
> boots, and heavy leather jacket. I don't think I'd be able to
> ride much in weather like that.
>
>> I had no air conditioner in my car and did a lot of night
>> driving that summer.
>>
>> That level of heat starts to get miserable,

> Definitely. I can put up with a bit of heat in the desert, but
> I can't stand muggy. And the parts of Texas I've spent time in
> (mainly around Houston and the gulf coast), defintely qualified
> as muggy. Spending a few August days out in the Gulf coast sun
> wearing Nomex coveralls was enough Texas for me...
>
>> though I expect XS11E to come in with a "what a wimp"
>> statement for not being able to handle what he considers to be
>> perfect weather. :-)

> I guess it's good somebody likes the weather there, or we'd be
> awfully short on petroleum products.

XS11E hails from the Phoenix area.

Austin is not as muggy as the coastal areas tend to be, but the humidity
is high enough. Our best days are often during November through
February, but it has been colder than normal this winter.
I hope that some of that cooler weather pushes through to the summer,
but I am not counting on it.

I was out in 70 degree weather under clear blue sky last week, and iirc,
my birthday at the 1st part of December was also very nice.
It's not all bad, especially for someone who hates snow, I just wish I
had a summer home in a cooler climate, or that this was only my home
during the winter, either way to avoid the extremes.

Yeah, I'm a wimp. If I could afford it I would live somewhere like St.
Thomas, U.S.V.I., That is perfect weather to me.

Pat