Westco battery fails (again)

Old January 6th 10, 07:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

Default Westco battery fails (again)

Second time in four years. I don't know why I only seem to get 3-4 years
out of a Westco, when I hear people get 5-7 years. Is my result really
atypical?

Old January 6th 10, 08:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

Frank Berger wrote:
> Second time in four years. I don't know why I only seem to get 3-4 years
> out of a Westco, when I hear people get 5-7 years. Is my result really
> atypical?

Sorry to hear that it failed and that I can't give any insight on how
long one lasts. But if you want to get another (are there any
alternatives?) then for what it is worth I got one in December from
batteryweb.com for $107.50 delivered, no tax collected. It arrived two
days later originating from "MK Battery" (where you suggested that I buy
from but could not find locally). Oddly the 12V31M doesn't appear on
batteryweb's site now... perhaps they lost money on the sale and removed
it from their site?!? Perhaps it is worth a call.
Old January 6th 10, 08:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

"Frank Berger" > wrote:

> Second time in four years. I don't know why I only seem to get
> 3-4 years out of a Westco, when I hear people get 5-7 years. Is
> my result really atypical?

Don't know, mine is only a couple of years old now.
New ones are $99 now:

http://www.gomiata.com/wessealbat.html

Shipping varys according to your location and Westco's nearest
location.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old January 6th 10, 11:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article > ,
"Frank Berger" > wrote:

> Second time in four years. I don't know why I only seem to get 3-4 years
> out of a Westco, when I hear people get 5-7 years. Is my result really
> atypical?

My second Westco is apparently dead: I can charge it at one amp for two
days and it'll start the car, but two days of sitting in the garage and
it's nearly flat. I might have some rogue OEM component drawing
excessive dark current (there's no alarm or aftermarket stereo), but
it's been too cold to do any serious testing.

I'm about to buy a cheap wet battery and be done with it.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old January 7th 10, 02:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In article > ,
> "Frank Berger" > wrote:
>
>> Second time in four years. I don't know why I only seem to get 3-4 years
>> out of a Westco, when I hear people get 5-7 years. Is my result really
>> atypical?

> My second Westco is apparently dead: I can charge it at one amp for two
> days and it'll start the car, but two days of sitting in the garage and
> it's nearly flat. I might have some rogue OEM component drawing
> excessive dark current (there's no alarm or aftermarket stereo), but
> it's been too cold to do any serious testing.
>
> I'm about to buy a cheap wet battery and be done with it.

when i got my new westco last month i put my old one up on craigslist
for free with full disclosure of the age etc... someone wanted it
because he was having his car painted and it came to his intention that
the oversize after market wet cell battery that the po installed
actually put a dent in his fender from the inside... i don't know how
it was mounted but this was a new one on me and thought i would mention
it to you as a possible consideration when using an oversize battery.
Old January 7th 10, 02:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Christopher Muto wrote:
> Lanny Chambers wrote:
>> In article > ,
>> "Frank Berger" > wrote:
>>
>>> Second time in four years. I don't know why I only seem to get 3-4
>>> years out of a Westco, when I hear people get 5-7 years. Is my
>>> result really atypical?

>> My second Westco is apparently dead: I can charge it at one amp for
>> two days and it'll start the car, but two days of sitting in the
>> garage and it's nearly flat. I might have some rogue OEM component
>> drawing excessive dark current (there's no alarm or aftermarket
>> stereo), but it's been too cold to do any serious testing.
>>
>> I'm about to buy a cheap wet battery and be done with it.
>>

> when i got my new westco last month i put my old one up on craigslist
> for free with full disclosure of the age etc... someone wanted it
> because he was having his car painted and it came to his intention that
> the oversize after market wet cell battery that the po installed
> actually put a dent in his fender from the inside... i don't know how
> it was mounted but this was a new one on me and thought i would mention
> it to you as a possible consideration when using an oversize battery.

My Duralast battery fits in the same spot with the same bracket. It even
has the vent hose connections.
It was around $90.00 from Autonzone, but I received a partial credit
from the last one not making it to the end of the warranty period.

I like getting the battery from Autozone because of how easy it is to
find a store to do a swap-out, and never waiting for it to be mailed.

That said, I still might get a Westco next time since with a OTM it is
now OK for the car to go down for a couple of days at a time.

Pat
Old January 7th 10, 03:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

Christopher Muto wrote:
> Frank Berger wrote:
>> Second time in four years. I don't know why I only seem to get 3-4
>> years out of a Westco, when I hear people get 5-7 years. Is my
>> result really atypical?
>>

> Sorry to hear that it failed and that I can't give any insight on how
> long one lasts. But if you want to get another (are there any
> alternatives?) then for what it is worth I got one in December from
> batteryweb.com for $107.50 delivered, no tax collected. It arrived
> two days later originating from "MK Battery" (where you suggested
> that I buy from but could not find locally). Oddly the 12V31M
> doesn't appear on batteryweb's site now... perhaps they lost money on
> the sale and removed it from their site?!? Perhaps it is worth a call.

I picked one up in person from MK Battery, near downtown Dallas, in nearby
Mesquite, TX. Around $130 with tax. I didn't want to wait.

Old January 7th 10, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

pws wrote:
> Christopher Muto wrote:
>> Lanny Chambers wrote:

>>> My second Westco is apparently dead: I can charge it at one amp for
>>> two days and it'll start the car, but two days of sitting in the
>>> garage and it's nearly flat. I might have some rogue OEM component
>>> drawing excessive dark current (there's no alarm or aftermarket
>>> stereo), but it's been too cold to do any serious testing.
>>>
>>> I'm about to buy a cheap wet battery and be done with it.
>>>

>> when i got my new westco last month i put my old one up on craigslist
>> for free with full disclosure of the age etc... someone wanted it
>> because he was having his car painted and it came to his intention
>> that the oversize after market wet cell battery that the po installed
>> actually put a dent in his fender from the inside... i don't know
>> how it was mounted but this was a new one on me and thought i would
>> mention it to you as a possible consideration when using an oversize
>> battery.

> My Duralast battery fits in the same spot with the same bracket. It
> even has the vent hose connections.
> It was around $90.00 from Autonzone, but I received a partial credit
> from the last one not making it to the end of the warranty period.
>
> I like getting the battery from Autozone because of how easy it is to
> find a store to do a swap-out, and never waiting for it to be mailed.
>
> That said, I still might get a Westco next time since with a OTM it is
> now OK for the car to go down for a couple of days at a time.
>
> Pat

I tried, but I can't decipher that. "OTM?" "Go down?" Where? Sorry, if
I'm being dumb.

Old January 7th 10, 03:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Frank Berger wrote:

>> My Duralast battery fits in the same spot with the same bracket. It
>> even has the vent hose connections.
>> It was around $90.00 from Autonzone, but I received a partial credit
>> from the last one not making it to the end of the warranty period.
>>
>> I like getting the battery from Autozone because of how easy it is to
>> find a store to do a swap-out, and never waiting for it to be mailed.
>>
>> That said, I still might get a Westco next time since with a OTM it is
>> now OK for the car to go down for a couple of days at a time.
>>
>> Pat

> I tried, but I can't decipher that. "OTM?" "Go down?" Where? Sorry, if
> I'm being dumb.

Nah, not being dumb. That should have been, "OTM vehicle", meaning other
than Miata. By "go down", I meant for the car to go down, as in not be
operational.
That used to be a cause for great concern if it happened to my Miata for
even a day, but with a Honda Accord backup, things are easier now in
that regard.

Pat
Old January 7th 10, 06:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
KWS[_2_]

Frank Berger wrote:
> Second time in four years. I don't know why I only seem to get 3-4 years
> out of a Westco, when I hear people get 5-7 years. Is my result really
> atypical?

In April, my Westco will have been in the '90 Miata for eight years. I
have been thinking about changing it simply as a preventative measure.

When I ordered it from Westco, the first one came damaged. I took a
couple of pictures, sent them an email and got a replacement quickly and
with no questions asked.

I see one currently on ebay for $105.

Ken