Spark Plugs for 89

Old August 28th 04, 11:42 PM
TheKid!

Lets talk about Bosch for a minute.
If you look under the hood of your c4 you will see a smattering of OEM
Bosch parts, considering Bosch plugs is not a sin from a purists'
point of view, therefore.
They are German, which for many years has stood for good engineering.
There is some truth to this I hate to admit.
If you like the Splitfires, and I have used them in many applications,
then you will love the Bosch p4s'. Their spark arc is even greater
being split between 4 contacts. Besides Bosch owns splitfire anyway.
As far as I am concerned their are only 2 ways to go OEM AC Delco or
Bosch p4.
If you have any issues with them you can try some Accel goodies on you
ditributor, even if it is just the cap, as well as some good
performance oriented wires.
Just doing the plugs is never enough to really notice anything anyway.
You can't really expect to see performance GAINS from a simple plug
upgrade. You know you have good plugs when you don't know they are
there, meaning there is no noticeable performance lag. When your
engine is running smoothly and is responsive and you are getting gas
mileage the manufacturer says you should, then, your plugs are doing
their job.

Old August 29th 04, 04:55 AM
tater

"TheKid!" > wrote in message
m...
> Lets talk about Bosch for a minute.
> If you look under the hood of your c4 you will see a smattering of OEM
> Bosch parts, considering Bosch plugs is not a sin from a purists'
> point of view, therefore.
> They are German, which for many years has stood for good engineering.
> There is some truth to this I hate to admit.
> If you like the Splitfires, and I have used them in many applications,
> then you will love the Bosch p4s'. Their spark arc is even greater
> being split between 4 contacts. ---------<snip>------------

The only problem I have with the multi-electrode spark plugs Is that unless
you are running a MSD (multi-spark discharge)
were you have more than one rapidly firing spark pulse at the plug isn't the
spark going to travel to whichever electrode
is at the shortest gap???
They came out with these plugs back in the late 50's - early 60's and
everyone finally wised up and determined it was a waste
of money because of what I mentioned above.
-Diode- You are the electronics' guru in this group am I right or not?
Mike

Old August 29th 04, 04:55 AM
tater

m...

Old August 29th 04, 06:06 PM
Mike

In >, "tater" > writes:

>"TheKid!" > wrote in message
om...
>> Lets talk about Bosch for a minute.
>> If you look under the hood of your c4 you will see a smattering of OEM
>> Bosch parts, considering Bosch plugs is not a sin from a purists'
>> point of view, therefore.
>> They are German, which for many years has stood for good engineering.
>> There is some truth to this I hate to admit.
>> If you like the Splitfires, and I have used them in many applications,
>> then you will love the Bosch p4s'. Their spark arc is even greater
>> being split between 4 contacts. ---------<snip>------------

>The only problem I have with the multi-electrode spark plugs Is that unless
>you are running a MSD (multi-spark discharge)
>were you have more than one rapidly firing spark pulse at the plug isn't the
>spark going to travel to whichever electrode
>is at the shortest gap???
> They came out with these plugs back in the late 50's - early 60's and
>everyone finally wised up and determined it was a waste
>of money because of what I mentioned above.
>-Diode- You are the electronics' guru in this group am I right or not?
> Mike

Pick a plug that puts the spark in the same place (inside the
combustion chamber that the original AC plug had it.

Regards, ..... the other "Mike"
-- mikeellison3xxxatzzzyahoo.com --

Old August 29th 04, 06:06 PM
Mike

In >, "tater" > writes:

om...

Old August 29th 04, 06:23 PM
Drink

FWIW, I agree. One spark, one arc. It might switch from one electrode to
the next or even fork from time to time but they can't engineer that into
what is, effectively, a simple electrical design. Having said that, the
fact that the electrodes are moved to the side suggests that the spark is
presented to the cylinder to produce a flame front better as opposed to a
conventional electrode configuration that can shield it (kinda). I say
"kinda" because the gases envelope the plug and are turbulently swishing
around. The spark ignites the mixture and the flame front does the rest.
You may very well see similar performance from the OEM plugs if you index
them.
FWIW,
Jim
. ..

Old August 29th 04, 06:23 PM
Drink

FWIW, I agree. One spark, one arc. It might switch from one electrode to
the next or even fork from time to time but they can't engineer that into
what is, effectively, a simple electrical design. Having said that, the
fact that the electrodes are moved to the side suggests that the spark is
presented to the cylinder to produce a flame front better as opposed to a
conventional electrode configuration that can shield it (kinda). I say
"kinda" because the gases envelope the plug and are turbulently swishing
around. The spark ignites the mixture and the flame front does the rest.
You may very well see similar performance from the OEM plugs if you index
them.
FWIW,
Jim
. ..

Old August 30th 04, 06:56 PM
TheKid!

"One spark, one arc. It might switch from one electrode to
> the next or even fork from time to time but they can't engineer that into
> what is, effectively, a simple electrical design."

P4's guarantee at least 1 spark anyway. I have experienced better gas
muleage from the as well.

Old August 30th 04, 06:56 PM
TheKid!

Old August 31st 04, 08:59 PM
Diode

TheKid! spoke thusly:

>>>-Diode- You are the electronics' guru in this group am I right or not?

Whoops, almost missed this, sorry. I've been in the electronics
industry for a long time but I don't consider myself a "guru". That
being said, more than just the distance determines where a spark will
jump to. A spark will jump a longer gap if the conditions are "better"
than the ones to the shorter gap. It also depends on the duration of
the spark. I suppose IF the duration is long enough, the spark can jump
to multiple points. The same could hold true for the MSD systems. Why
don't one of you guys with a lot of time on your hands run some
experiments with one electrode and multi-electrode plugs and see what
happens? Connect a coil to the plug and feed the coil a chopped DC
signal (not an AC signal). It's not the same conditions, granted, but
it should tell you something. When you're done, you can use the test
jig to make a nifty "Jacobs Ladder" like from the old horror movies. )

--

Shut up, Dave.

'68 L-79 Coupe
'79 Triumph Bonneville