U-Haul

Old January 13th 05, 12:58 AM
Bob

Default U-Haul

Is U-Haul still refusing to rent trailers to be towed by Ford Explorers?

Are there any places that will?

Anyone have some Mercury Mountaineer badges I can replace the Ford
Explorer badges with?

Thanks.
Old January 13th 05, 07:47 AM
Larry Lojack

According to the U-Haul web site the ban on Explorers as tow vehicles is still in effect.
http://www.uhaul.com/trucks/faq.html

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...aul-ford_x.htm

From the USA Today story I got the impression that the Firestone tire debacle lit a fire under the trial
lawyer to flood the courts with Explorer lawsuits.

What do trial lawyers use for birth control? Their personality.

Old January 13th 05, 03:03 PM
Captain Coleman

If you're considering rebadging you vehicle, check out ebay. There seems to
be quite a bit of Mountaineer insignia up for sale.

Old January 13th 05, 08:06 PM
Anthony Giorgianni

I think we should consider ourselves lucky UHaul won't deal with us.

Anytime I have ever rented UHaul stuff or been with someone who has rented
UHaul stuff, the equipment has been atrocious. I remember one truck that had
holes in the floorboards. You actually could see the highway. Another had a
lit alternator light. The guy insisted we use that truck and refused to give
us anything else. "Just call us if it breaks down." (We were going to use
the truck on New Years day. And then he had the audacity to insist that we
sign a statement that said we ceritfy that nothing was wrong with the
vehicle when we took it! We walked away, went to Ryder and were amazed at
the difference in the condition of the vehicles. The Ryder guy even walked
the vehicle with us and noted any little blemish on the sheet before we took
the truck (and there were only the tinyist things). Maybe no one else rents
those little trailers ... but I still wouldn't attach anyting with UHaul on
it to my Explorer - not even their bubble wrap :O). Crapola equipment,
crapola custommer service, in my opinion. I suspect that UHaul knows they're
stuff is unsafe and is unwilling to take on Explorer owners who are
sensitized to this crap.

--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.

Old January 13th 05, 08:33 PM
Richard Ray

What would be the point of rebadging the truck? The rental agreement
asks for the VIN of the tow vehicle. The VIN gives the true identity of
the truck away. And if you had any misfortune or accident with the
trailer, the U-Haul lawyers would have a ball with you.

Old January 14th 05, 12:58 AM
Bob

Yeah, you're right. I was just pointing out how ridiculous it is that
they'll rent to Mountaineers (or Mazda Navahos) but not Explorers when
we and Uhaul and the lawyers all know that they're the same truck.

The funny thing was for 6 months after they announced this ban on
Explorers, their website had a picture of an Explorer towing one of
their trailers.
Old January 14th 05, 01:17 AM
Bob

I Agree! I used to work for U-Haul, their trucks are junk. They hired me
fresh out of the Navy and paid me slightly more than minimum wage to
keep their trucks chicken wired together. I had absolutely no experience
in auto mechanics. As long as they started up and rolled off the lot the
boss was happy. If the boss decided he didn't like a customer he had a
signal to me to rent him the absolute worst wreck we had. I didn't stay
long.

I wouldn't drive one of their trucks but their open bed trailers are so
rugged and well built that they withstand the abuse and lack of
maintenance. I eyeball the tires real good, check for play in the
bearings and check the hitch and lights before I rent one. Moved my
son's whole 4 bedroom house in 3 trips with one of the big ones
recently. (We towed it with his GMC Yukon.)
Old January 14th 05, 04:11 AM
Bill

What other company rents trailers one way?

Old January 14th 05, 04:20 AM
Gordon S. Hlavenka

Larry Lojack wrote:
> What do trial lawyers use for birth control? Their personality.

Careful...
http://tinyurl.com/6alx4

--
Gordon S. Hlavenka http://www.crashelectronics.com
Tragically, as many as 9625 out of every 10,000

Old January 14th 05, 08:42 PM
DR RASTIS FAF00FNIK

"Bob" > wrote in message
> Is U-Haul still refusing to rent trailers to be towed by Ford Explorers?
>
> Are there any places that will?
>
> Anyone have some Mercury Mountaineer badges I can replace the Ford
> Explorer badges with?
>
> Thanks.

U-Hell is doing YOU a favor! They are afraid their equipment will CAUSE a
rollover problem. Their equipment is JUNK, never maintained.
Read about people with trailers that had bearing failures, tire blowouts,
electrical shorts.
Read about their trucks wth bad brakes, engine fires and other problems,
leaving customers on the side of the road to watch their belongings burn.
You want/expect "road service" from U-Hell HAHAHAHA......get ready to book
into the nearest fleabag hotel,they arn't coming anytime fast. I see those
trucks broken down on the highway all the time!
If you look at www.ripoffreports.com you will find HUNDREDS of reports on
people getting screwed by U-Hell.
I even had the Bitch Manager "Connie" at the store in Santa Clarita,
California (on Sierra Hwy) call me one time and tell me if I didnt bring the
truck I had out, back early she was going to charge my credit card $100 an
hour until it was back in her yard!!!!!
The company back east put that fat butch lesbo back in her place, but the
fact remains....their equipment is crap, the people that work there are
snakes.
They ALL know whats going on there, the guy that brings your rental truck
around KNOWS it is a wreck looking for a place to happen. What a better
setup, you rent the vehicle...it's destroyed and YOUR insurance carrier buys
U-Hell a new one to replace it. Who cares if YOU are injured,killed or lose
all your belongings/cargo during this.
Be damn glad they won't rent you a trailer. Just go over to Ryder or Penske
and rent a complete truck instead.
Of course....this is just **MY** opinion....your may vary (hopefully not).