NB Battery life

Old December 7th 09, 06:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

Default NB Battery life

How long do the batteries usually last in a NB?
Started my 95 last night in pretty cold weather and it cranked slowly...
but started right up. Thinking it was a trying to tell me to replace
it. According to the records, the battery was replaced by the dealer i
2002. It is a Mazda branded battery but I am not sure if it is one of
the long lasting glass-mat type. Any suggestions on where to buy a
Westco?
Thank you!

good-win-racing $119 + $35 shipping
moss $120 + $19 shipping
mmmiata $110 + $18 shipping
westco $125 shipped (looks like westco is the winner!)
Old December 7th 09, 10:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Christopher Muto > wrote:

> How long do the batteries usually last in a NB?

The only correct answer is "it depends"..... ;-)

> Any suggestions on where to buy a Westco?
> Thank you!
>
> good-win-racing $119 + $35 shipping
> moss $120 + $19 shipping
> mmmiata $110 + $18 shipping
> westco $125 shipped (looks like westco is the winner!)

I got mine from Westco a couple of years ago, they had the best price
then, looks like they still do.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old December 7th 09, 10:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

XS11E wrote:
> Christopher Muto > wrote:
>
>> How long do the batteries usually last in a NB?

> The only correct answer is "it depends"..... ;-)
>
>> Any suggestions on where to buy a Westco?
>> Thank you!
>>
>> good-win-racing $119 + $35 shipping
>> moss $120 + $19 shipping
>> mmmiata $110 + $18 shipping
>> westco $125 shipped (looks like westco is the winner!)

> I got mine from Westco a couple of years ago, they had the best price
> then, looks like they still do.

You might find an independent battery place that stocks Westco. MK battery
seems to be in quite a few cities. It's not a retail establishment, but
they will sell you a battery if you walk in off the street. When a Westco
I got from them went bad, they replaced it without a problem under warranty
even though I had no receipt (the batteries themselves are dated). I'm
usually more interested in instant gratification than getting the lowest
price. Especially when my battery's dead.

You can search the Westco web page for a dealer. The Miata battery is
12V31M.

Old December 10th 09, 05:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

Frank Berger wrote:
> XS11E wrote:
>> Christopher Muto > wrote:
>>
>>> How long do the batteries usually last in a NB?

>> The only correct answer is "it depends"..... ;-)
>>
>>> Any suggestions on where to buy a Westco?
>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> good-win-racing $119 + $35 shipping
>>> moss $120 + $19 shipping
>>> mmmiata $110 + $18 shipping
>>> westco $125 shipped (looks like westco is the winner!)

>> I got mine from Westco a couple of years ago, they had the best price
>> then, looks like they still do.

> You might find an independent battery place that stocks Westco. MK battery
> seems to be in quite a few cities. It's not a retail establishment, but
> they will sell you a battery if you walk in off the street. When a Westco
> I got from them went bad, they replaced it without a problem under warranty
> even though I had no receipt (the batteries themselves are dated). I'm
> usually more interested in instant gratification than getting the lowest
> price. Especially when my battery's dead.
>
> You can search the Westco web page for a dealer. The Miata battery is
> 12V31M.

I went to the Westco site to look for a local retailer but there were
none listed. The closest thing was a dealer in Florida that had a web
site (batteryweb.com) and the lowest price ($110 shipped). I ordered
thinking it would mean quicker delivery for me from Florida than from
Westco in CA. It came two days later from a warehouse close by in New
Jeresy... and it said it was from MK Battery! Funny that Westco did not
list a New Jersey location for MK Battery. But I am happy with the
speed that it came and the price. Thanks all.
Old December 14th 09, 04:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Christopher Muto wrote:
> How long do the batteries usually last in a NB?
> Started my 95 last night in pretty cold weather and it cranked slowly...
> but started right up. Thinking it was a trying to tell me to replace
> it. According to the records, the battery was replaced by the dealer i
> 2002. It is a Mazda branded battery but I am not sure if it is one of
> the long lasting glass-mat type. Any suggestions on where to buy a Westco?
> Thank you!
>
> good-win-racing $119 + $35 shipping
> moss $120 + $19 shipping
> mmmiata $110 + $18 shipping
> westco $125 shipped (looks like westco is the winner!)

7 years is the probably the longest I have gotten out of a battery,
usually closer to five years.
This is in central Texas, but the car stays under cover most of the
time and is rarely driven during the heat of the day between June and
late September to early October.

During those months I usually drive during very early morning hours or
after the sun has gone down, when the temperature is a comfy 80 or 85 or
so instead of 105.

Pat
Old December 14th 09, 11:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

pws wrote:
> Christopher Muto wrote:
>> How long do the batteries usually last in a NB?
>> Started my 95 last night in pretty cold weather and it cranked
>> slowly... but started right up. Thinking it was a trying to tell me
>> to replace it. According to the records, the battery was replaced by
>> the dealer i 2002. It is a Mazda branded battery but I am not sure if
>> it is one of the long lasting glass-mat type. Any suggestions on
>> where to buy a Westco?
>> Thank you!
>>
>> good-win-racing $119 + $35 shipping
>> moss $120 + $19 shipping
>> mmmiata $110 + $18 shipping
>> westco $125 shipped (looks like westco is the winner!)

> 7 years is the probably the longest I have gotten out of a battery,
> usually closer to five years.
> This is in central Texas, but the car stays under cover most of the
> time and is rarely driven during the heat of the day between June and
> late September to early October.
>
> During those months I usually drive during very early morning hours or
> after the sun has gone down, when the temperature is a comfy 80 or 85 or
> so instead of 105.
>
> Pat

Thanks Pat. My gut told me to buy a new one so I did. The cost of
preventive maintenance far outweighs the inconvenience of having one
fail, and 7 years is a good run despite reports of some lasting as long
as 13 (with ambiguity of weather or not the current one was the long
lasting agm type that Mazda supposedly stopped selling in about 2001).
The install was easy but I was left scratching my head about how to
connect the square tipped rubber vent hoses that fit the oem Mazda
battery to the round vent hoses of the Westco battery. A quick look at
miata.net said to simply cut off the square ends of the hoses and then
the round hoses should easily fit the Westco. Thanks again.
Old December 15th 09, 01:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Christopher Muto > wrote:

> The install was easy but I was left scratching my head about how
> to connect the square tipped rubber vent hoses that fit the oem
> Mazda battery to the round vent hoses of the Westco battery. A
> quick look at miata.net said to simply cut off the square ends of
> the hoses and then the round hoses should easily fit the Westco.

One of the advantages of a used car, I found a spare set of the vent
hoses in the little well with the jack and tools. Apparently the
original battery was replaced but the old hoses re-used.

I cut the square ends off the original set and still have a virgin set
it the original plastic if they're ever needed!

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old December 30th 09, 08:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Annie & Chris Lang

Mine's still working fine . It's original on a 2000 NB over here in the UK
Regards Chris

t...

Old January 9th 10, 06:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

I replaced what I believe was the OEM battery in my 99 just a couple months
ago. I did go with an autozone battery (wish me good luck!) which comes with
the new vent hose and such (keep your old hoses and connections till you
hook up cause you might need a combination of the new and old).

Chris
99BBB

"Annie & Chris Lang" > wrote in message
om...
> Mine's still working fine . It's original on a 2000 NB over here in the UK
> Regards Chris
>
> "Christopher Muto" > wrote in message
> t...
>> How long do the batteries usually last in a NB?
>> Started my 95 last night in pretty cold weather and it cranked slowly...
>> but started right up. Thinking it was a trying to tell me to replace it.
>> According to the records, the battery was replaced by the dealer i 2002.
>> It is a Mazda branded battery but I am not sure if it is one of the long
>> lasting glass-mat type. Any suggestions on where to buy a Westco?
>> Thank you!
>>
>> good-win-racing $119 + $35 shipping
>> moss $120 + $19 shipping
>> mmmiata $110 + $18 shipping
>> westco $125 shipped (looks like westco is the winner!)

Battery Life/300M Ralph Griffith Chrysler 6 March 1st 09 04:27 AM
Best battery deals in Canada? Solar chargers drain the battery in the dark? Calab Technology 10 July 14th 08 07:36 PM
Extending battery life Griff BMW 16 June 27th 06 01:29 PM
1998 accord battery life Matthew Honda 2 October 8th 04 04:11 AM