CV Boot

Old April 5th 05, 11:44 PM
Mista Bone

Repace the whole axle with a reman unit from Autozone, $59.99.

Old April 6th 05, 12:31 AM
SoCalMike

John wrote:
> The axle is fine though. It got ripped in the last few days and there's no
> clicking yet. Anyway, I'm more interested in a tutorial that provides the
> steps and possible pictures.

id probably pack it with grease, and put a split boot kit on it. the
kind that uses glue works pretty good.

Old April 6th 05, 02:09 AM
John

The axle is fine though. It got ripped in the last few days and there's no
clicking yet. Anyway, I'm more interested in a tutorial that provides the
steps and possible pictures.

Thanks!

JOhn

Old April 6th 05, 02:39 AM
John

Do you have a website/tutorial with step by step instructions for my car or
similar?

Thanks!

Old April 6th 05, 04:11 AM
justinreigle (at) gmail (dot) com

Pick-up a Haynes or Chilton for 20 bucks where books are sold. This
will give you the step-by-step procedure, with pictures.

You could always google for info on different makes and models of cars
if you can't find info specific to your car. Most of the time the
procedure is quite similar from make-to-make (assuming FWD).

I'd think twice about replacing the boot. I'm not sure how much
free time you have, but for someone who hasn't done it before,
replacing the boot and repacking the joint will probably take you
5 or 6 hours. Whereas the axle replacement is an hour or two.

The local parts place sells boot repair kits for 25, and reman'ed
axles for 55 bucks. For 30 more dollars you can have some peace
of mind that you wont be doing the job again in 6 months. I've
heard of a number of people who spent the time to replace the
boot after only a week or so only to find it caused enough wear for
the joint to crap out within a year.

Also, how did you ascertain that the boot was only opened for
a few days?

- Justin

Old April 6th 05, 07:08 AM
John

Well, since it isn't clicking yet, it couldn't have been too long.

Anyway, the whole thing is for me to learn. But I guess doing the whole axle
the first time around is easier than repacking the whole thing.

What I'm planning on doing is driving like this for a while until it starts
clicking and then when I get time I'll do both axles probably. Just to make
sure I don't have to do the other one agian.

Also, I'm planning on swapping a B18C into my civic so I'll be using the
integra axles anyways. It might be a while though...saving money +
researching right now. Also, doing simple things on the car to get more
familiar so that I can do the engine swap myself.

If someone finds a good tutorial on doing this, let me know.

In the meantime, any tutorials on cleaning the TPS and MAP sensors on the 92
civic? I'm planning on cleaning everything up to the intake manifold
including throtle body. Also, having a hard time finding the PVC on the
engine.

Any ideas?

John

"justinreigle (at) gmail (dot) com" > wrote in
message oups.com...

Old April 6th 05, 08:01 AM
justinreigle (at) gmail (dot) com

Hi John,

Not sure about cleaning the TPS or MAP sensors.

Your PCV valve is usually below valve cover on the intake manifold.
Look at where the throttle body mates with the upper portion of the
intake manifold. From that portion of the intake manifold, there should
be a hose that is partially wrapped with a layer of foam-rubber
material. One end goes to the upper intake manifold, the other end goes
to the PCV valve down near the starter motor on the intake.

I assume your engine is similar since this is what I've seen on all
Honda engines I have experience with.

Good luck.

- Justin

Old April 6th 05, 10:15 AM
John

Yeah, I was looking around the engine bay and I found it. It's on the intake
manifold like you suggested.

I removed the plug and half the opening is "covered" with something--carbon
deposits? How can I clean that? Do I have to take the intake manifold apart
or what? I'll be replacing the PCV tomorrow. Is it a good ideal to push
those deposits back into the intake manifold to clear that opening for the
new PCV to function properly?

Old April 6th 05, 06:26 PM

John wrote:
> Yeah, I was looking around the engine bay and I found it. It's on the

intake
> manifold like you suggested.
>
> I removed the plug and half the opening is "covered" with

something--carbon
> deposits? How can I clean that? Do I have to take the intake manifold

apart
> or what? I'll be replacing the PCV tomorrow. Is it a good ideal to

push
> those deposits back into the intake manifold to clear that opening

for the
> new PCV to function properly?
>
> Thanks!
>
> John
> "justinreigle (at) gmail (dot) com" > wrote in
> message oups.com...
> > Hi John,
> >
> > Not sure about cleaning the TPS or MAP sensors.
> >
> > Your PCV valve is usually below valve cover on the intake manifold.
> > Look at where the throttle body mates with the upper portion of the
> > intake manifold. From that portion of the intake manifold, there

should
> > be a hose that is partially wrapped with a layer of foam-rubber
> > material. One end goes to the upper intake manifold, the other end

goes
> > to the PCV valve down near the starter motor on the intake.
> >
> > I assume your engine is similar since this is what I've seen on all
> > Honda engines I have experience with.
> >
> > Good luck.
> >
> > - Justin

You're going to replace the engine yourself? Anybody with me on this
one?

JM