530i Resonance

Old October 20th 05, 11:12 PM
Steve Cooper

Default 530i Resonance

I have a BMW 530i model sedan with automatic transmission which has an
annoying resonance that appears primarily at around 45 mph in 5th gear. It
is worse after the engine warms up. I can avoid the issue by driving in
sport mode; however that hurts the gas mileage. Any ideas on how to fix this
problem? Thanks.

Old October 20th 05, 11:37 PM
JB

"Steve Cooper" > wrote in message
. ..
>I have a BMW 530i model sedan with automatic transmission which has an
>annoying resonance that appears primarily at around 45 mph in 5th gear. It
>is worse after the engine warms up. I can avoid the issue by driving in
>sport mode; however that hurts the gas mileage. Any ideas on how to fix
>this problem? Thanks.

Cat heatshield loose?

JB

Old October 21st 05, 01:43 AM
Malt_Hound

Steve Cooper wrote:
> I have a BMW 530i model sedan with automatic transmission which has an
> annoying resonance that appears primarily at around 45 mph in 5th gear. It
> is worse after the engine warms up. I can avoid the issue by driving in
> sport mode; however that hurts the gas mileage. Any ideas on how to fix this
> problem? Thanks.

Not a direct answer to your question, but I'll bet driving in "sport
mode" doesn't hurt your gas mileage as much as you might imagine. That
is unless you use your right foot with more gusto whenever in sport mode
too...

My point is, just driving in a lower gear and spinning the engine faster
may or may not hurt mileage.

--
-Fred W
Old October 22nd 05, 10:58 PM
JimmyG

Where does the sound seem to be coming from?

Perhaps a higher RPM in sport mode is making a muffler problem evident.

As for poor MPG, I'll second that opinion about poor mileage. The
difference is minimal. I ran three, full tank tests on each of sport mode
& Non-sport mode. Mileage didn't vary more than one mpg at best.

You're missing the fun if you don't use sport mode.

New M3 or 530i. S.A. BMW 6 September 5th 05 10:36 PM
530i Outside Temperature Indicator Malfunction? Ext Warrantees? Larus BMW 2 August 11th 05 05:43 PM
BMW 530i wheel alignment Charles McMillen via CarKB.com BMW 8 May 12th 05 11:44 AM
BMW 2004 530i only 15k mi For Sale John BMW 0 February 19th 05 09:59 PM
Hello and Owner of a new (to me) 530i Bo BMW 5 December 20th 04 08:41 AM