Headers

Old September 27th 05, 11:00 PM
Troy

Default Headers

Saw on quadratec.com borla headers for my tj, at $478.95! Not sure if this
price is high or not for headers, but are they worth it? How much power can
I expect? Also, wouldn't I have to change the rest of my pipes to get
anything out of it? This jeep is the first vehicle I've owned that I've
started working on, I've really learned alot but I just have no experience
with "performance" headers... Seems to me that after the headers I would
have to upgrade my entire exhaust back to the end...

Troy

Old September 27th 05, 11:25 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Troy,
It's a fair price for Borla's name, but you may buy them for a
hundred and thirty bucks:
http://www.1aauto.com/1A/ExhaustMani...P1390094/24498
They're designed to connect to your catalytic converter which you
probably should leave in place as it holds another oxygen sensor, and
would screw with your computer and SMOG laws.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old September 27th 05, 11:28 PM
Troy

O forgot, if I did replace the entire exhaust, surely there should be
something done to the intake? But I've been told the K&N is crap,
especially since I'm sure I'd clog it up with mud. I can't think of
anything to do to the intake. Anyone?

Troy

Old September 27th 05, 11:36 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Troy,
Your stock setup will pass more cubic feet per minute than your
stock cam will ever use. K&N filters do not clog in races like the Baja
Score One Thousand, that's because all the dust passes through them and
they just replace the sanded engine at the other end. If you want more
bounce than the average bear, reprogram your computer chip to use more
fuel with this machine: http://miller.spx.com/data/DC02-07A.pdf
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old September 28th 05, 12:15 AM
Billy Ray

Or get you local Ricers to suggest a good Speed Shop or independent tuner
that handles DC vehicles.

K&N (and all the clones) give you more power because they have low
restriction. They have low restriction because they don't filter much
dirt/grit out.

Half the people out there swear by the K&N Style, the other half swear at
them.

--
..
(remove SPAM)

Old September 28th 05, 12:47 AM
DougW

Troy did pass the time by typing:
> Saw on quadratec.com borla headers for my tj, at $478.95! Not sure if this
> price is high or not for headers, but are they worth it? How much power can
> I expect? Also, wouldn't I have to change the rest of my pipes to get
> anything out of it? This jeep is the first vehicle I've owned that I've
> started working on, I've really learned alot but I just have no experience
> with "performance" headers... Seems to me that after the headers I would
> have to upgrade my entire exhaust back to the end...

Long story short. The lower the restriction from intake to exhaust the
more efficient the motor >can be<. That translates as
filter, intake tube, throttle body, intake manifold, engine head (port
and polish), exhaust header, high flow cat, high flow muffler/cat-back.

Skip the throttle body spacers and swirrlyairthingies, those are pure snake-oil.

Exhaust headers are more involved than a simple cat-back and on stock systems
a cat-back will give you better bang for the buck.

Exhaust headers are also a bit harder to install, sometimes (like with my ZJ)
they require minor mods. (i.e. grinding) If you do replace them remember
to make sure all the old gasket is removed and the intake rail, head, and
new exhaust flanges are squeaky clean. A bit of high temp copper form-a-gasket
(just smeared on thin like sunscreen) will help seal. And always use antisieze
on the bolts.

Know this, your playing with itty bitty gains and without a rolling-road
your not going to be able to feel any difference with these types of mods.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://members.cox.net/wilsond
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old September 28th 05, 01:26 AM
Billy Ray

The short story is your Jeep Intake and exhaust manifolds are pretty good
(better than most).

Seriously, your first improvements should be a set of top-of-the-line brake
pads and the best quality tires you can afford that are suitable for the
driving you will be doing. (BFG MTs are great off road but you don't want
to drive them in ice or snow)

The most important thing in driving is not being able to go but being able
to stop and turn safely

I will assume that as a younger person you have a limited amount of free
cash and can say that most of the hop-ups you hear the ricers talk about are
BIG BUCKS and each gives only a little extra power/mileage.

If you have a bankroll or rich and indulgent parents then take the Jeep to a
4x4 shop and go wild, have them pull the engine and send it to your local
speed shop, trailer it to a custom exhaust shop,and then drive it to the
tire store for rims and skins.

And then buy lots of life and medical insurance because you can not take off
ramps at 70 mph in any Jeep.

--
..

Old September 28th 05, 01:57 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Nitrous Oxide.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old September 28th 05, 02:25 AM
Paul Calman

Low restriction/high flow headers are great for drag racing. They kill your
low end torque, though. Not what i would want to do to 4x4, but fun for
buggies.

--
Paul Calman, Hathaway Pines, California