What time of year for Texas do the powerful winds sieze from the planes?

Old May 13th 05, 08:40 PM

Default What time of year for Texas do the powerful winds sieze from the planes?

I will be traveling to texas via car for the second time in my life.
The first time I drove to San Antonio TX the crosswinds off of I10 were
so powerful that my compact Saturn SL2 nearly got blown off the road.
I forgot what time of the year that way.

What times of the year do these hazardous winds on the Texas planes
sieze? Or are these dangerous winds constant all year long? Why do
the majority of texans drive high profile trucks and SUV's in that type
of environment? I would imagine that a low profile car with weight and
low to the ground would make a lot more sense in interstate TX travel.

So anyway I will be traveling and I'm hesitant to haul a small cargo
trailer behind my car since I already have a pretty good idea on what I
might be in for.

Any help would be appreciated...

Old May 13th 05, 08:53 PM

Don't assume that I still have that unsubstantial Saturn SL2
subcompact! That car got totalled during a rainstorm years ago. It
was a very fun & reliable car to drive yet it wasn't very sturdy and
because of that I'll never own another saturn product again.

I now drive a more conventional large sedan that has a tow capacity of
up to 2,000 pounds (trailer w/electric brakes).

Old May 13th 05, 10:13 PM
K Smythe

On 13 May 2005 12:40:54 -0700, wrote:

>I will be traveling to texas via car for the second time in my life.
>The first time I drove to San Antonio TX the crosswinds off of I10 were
>so powerful that my compact Saturn SL2 nearly got blown off the road.
>I forgot what time of the year that way.

The only time I've seen that in Texas was either in the middle of a
hurricane or a tornado.

SA is far enough away from the coast, that a hurricane isn't likely to
hit you too hard, although you might get a little wet.

Tornados can happen anytime, but usually don't (i.e. 90% of the time).

>What times of the year do these hazardous winds on the Texas planes
>sieze?

Plains, right?

>Or are these dangerous winds constant all year long? Why do
>the majority of texans drive high profile trucks and SUV's in that type
>of environment?

'cuz they're morons who moved to Texas from other states.

>I would imagine that a low profile car with weight and
>low to the ground would make a lot more sense in interstate TX travel.

That kind of car makes more sense virtually everywhere there are paved
roads.

>So anyway I will be traveling and I'm hesitant to haul a small cargo
>trailer behind my car since I already have a pretty good idea on what I
>might be in for.
>
>Any help would be appreciated...

Like they say in Texas, if you don't like the weather, wait 10
minutes. It will change.

I wouldn't worry about it. Check the weather forecast and if you're
getting blown off the road, pull over and wait 10 mnutes (or perhaps a
few hours to be perfectly honest).
Old May 14th 05, 01:43 AM

Yes, I meant "Plains". It's very easy to confuse the two because they
are homonymous.

For Interstate travel I want a 2005 Ford Mustang V8 Soft Top w/5 speed
manual transmission. White with the blue racing stripes that go front
to back.

That is the perfect vehicle for Interstate travel that most any working
man can afford so long as they don't mind the premium insurance costs
attached.

And then of course, there is this whole issue with that type of car
being a ticket magnet. I want it equiped with a scanner, satillite
radio, GPS, and a two way radio so it would have those unsightly long
antennas attached to it.

I've never used a scanner and a two way radio in a car before, would it
really be of big help for avoiding speeding tickets accross the United
States? (POA or whoever you are, you are specifically forbiden to
make your snide comments on this thread!!!)

Old May 14th 05, 02:12 AM

Also FYI I was talking about the massive *DUST STORMS* that I saw
driving eastbound on Interstate 10. When the strong winds crossed my
path on I10 there was heavy dust everywhere and ahead of me one or two
tumbleweeds crossed my path from left to right. My Saturn didn't take
it too well as there was a lot of body roll to the right hand side and
I was pushed sideways a good 10 inches. Thanks to my savvy driving
skills I survived. The truck behind me (a Ford Expedition) was being
dumb and was actually following behind me in my blind spot. Apparently
his/her SUV was blown heavily too, enough to rock it back and fourth
violently from what I remember. After the first rude awakening both of
use slowed down from about 85mph to about 65mph. Before making it to
San Antonio TX, there were a couple of other dust storms that I got
caught in after that but not nearly as strong. I swear if I was not
gripping the steering wheel during the first strong gust of dusty wind,
my car would have been blows right off the road into the ditch and then
some. I can totally visualize me inside the little Saturn while it's
cartwheeling out of control with all the luggage in the back seat
tossing around violently and hitting me hard enough to cause head
trauma.

Old May 14th 05, 03:02 PM

<<<<having driven for years in Texas in what most people would consider
"ticket maqnet" I can assure you that you're okay as long as you don't
look like a hippy, a Mexican, or a criminal. >>>>

So if the driver was yellow, should he/she be worried to? Or were you
only being sarcastic about the racist part?

Old May 14th 05, 09:35 PM

NO! I want to hear it straight from the horses mouth. As the saying
goes, "takes one to know one".