A general air bag question

Old March 2nd 09, 03:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Pete E. Kruzer

Default A general air bag question

This morning a car pulled out in front of my sister in law and
husband. He didn't have time
to brake. He believes the two or three year old Avalon is totaled.
Everyone is OK, the sister in law was taken to the hospital for chest
pains. Probably due
to the seat belt.
My question is......... Not one air bag inflated. What would be the
reason for having no
airbags inflate when you hit something hard enough to total a large
vehicle other than
fraulty bags or sensors?
Old March 2nd 09, 03:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Pete E. Kruzer wrote:
> This morning a car pulled out in front of my sister in law and
> husband. He didn't have time
> to brake. He believes the two or three year old Avalon is totaled.
> Everyone is OK, the sister in law was taken to the hospital for chest
> pains. Probably due
> to the seat belt.
> My question is......... Not one air bag inflated. What would be the
> reason for having no
> airbags inflate when you hit something hard enough to total a large
> vehicle other than
> fraulty bags or sensors?

Sorry for the trauma to the family. I hope everything checks out OK
with the SIL.

There are certain criteria that the sensors must see. I don't know a
lot about this area, but I do know that the sensor must see a certain G
level purely in the fore-aft direction to trigger the bags. Any
component of the G level vector from the side doesn't enter into it.

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old March 2nd 09, 06:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Dori A Schmetterling[_3_]

Unless there are side airbags, presumably...

Glad to hear that Peter's family ok; let's hope chest pain is temporary.

DAS

---
"Bill Putney" > wrote in message
[...]
> Sorry for the trauma to the family. I hope everything checks out OK with
> the SIL.
>
> There are certain criteria that the sensors must see. I don't know a lot
> about this area, but I do know that the sensor must see a certain G level
> purely in the fore-aft direction to trigger the bags. Any component of
> the G level vector from the side doesn't enter into it.
>
> --
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my address
> with the letter 'x')

just a general question trailer[_2_] Honda 2 July 6th 08 03:22 AM
General Question about Coolant Jeff Strickland BMW 2 April 1st 08 01:45 AM
CR-V General question jamie[_2_] Honda 8 May 8th 07 04:22 PM
General Question KWS Chrysler 4 August 15th 05 03:11 PM
Coil Question General Tjacobs Honda 1 October 4th 04 07:00 PM