2009 Dodge Challenger

Old March 20th 08, 01:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
vintage

Default 2009 Dodge Challenger

Chrysler Vice Chairman and President Jim Press unveiled the new 2009 Dodge
Challenger lineup at the New York auto show today. Dodge Challenger R/T,
powered by
the 5.7-liter HEMIŽV-8 with a five-speed automatic transmission produces 370
horsepower and will be priced in the low $20,000 range. Also unveiled were
the the Dodge Challenger SRT8 and Dodge Challenger SE with pricing starting
in the low $20,000 range.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Challenger912.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	403.8 KB
ID:	127233
Old March 20th 08, 03:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
HEMI-Powered[_2_]

Dan Edwards added these comments in the current discussion du jour

>> Chrysler Vice Chairman and President Jim Press unveiled the new
>> 2009 Dodge Challenger lineup at the New York auto show today.
>> Dodge Challenger R/T, powered by the 5.7-liter HEMIŽV-8 with a
>> five-speed automatic transmission produces 370 horsepower and
>> will be priced in the low $20,000 range. Also unveiled were the
>> the Dodge Challenger SRT8 and Dodge Challenger SE with pricing
>> starting in the low $20,000 range.

> I have seen billboards here in Dayton, Ohio announcing the
> Challenger. At the price range you quoted above, I've got a
> feeling that Mustang GT sales are going to drop. Even though Fords
> are my favorite, I believe I may take a good strong look at
> purchasing a Challenger "down the road"! I love the sound of the
> HEMI and the looks of the Challenger! Thanks for the info and
> photo you posted, -Dan Edwards-

Dan, the "under $20K" will be a price leader. Some people DO buy base
model Chrysler 300 cars in order to get the style they want at a low
price so likely some base Challengers will also be sold. The SRT8
versions that are the exclusive build for 2008 won't be around $30K
as has been hinted at; they're much more likely to be in the mid-$40K
range as are all SRT8 cars. And, a base R/T with the 5.7L engine MAY
come in at under $30K but a typical option load will likely, in my
view, bring the price up to the mid-$30K range, again as a reasonably
optioned Charger R/T is today. e.g., my 2007 stickered at just under
$37K without a navigator or sun roof.

BTW, I thought you had your eye on a Ram Big Horn with a HEMI? Maybe
you shoulda bought one earlier. Chrysler took away my Employee Choice
discounts that I've talked to you about a couple of times. It was
cancelled suddenly last month without any warning or reason.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"And, that's all I'm going to say about that" - Forrest Gump

Old March 22nd 08, 09:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
HEMI-Powered[_2_]

Dan Edwards added these comments in the current discussion du jour

>> Dan, the "under $20K" will be a price leader. Some people DO buy
>> base model Chrysler 300 cars in order to get the style they want
>> at a low price so likely some base Challengers will also be sold.
>> The SRT8 versions that are the exclusive build for 2008 won't be
>> around $30K as has been hinted at; they're much more likely to be
>> in the mid-$40K range as are all SRT8 cars. And, a base R/T with
>> the 5.7L engine MAY come in at under $30K but a typical option
>> load will likely, in my view, bring the price up to the mid-$30K
>> range, again as a reasonably optioned Charger R/T is today. e.g.,
>> my 2007 stickered at just under $37K without a navigator or sun
>> roof.

> I wouldn't care about the luxuries much. All I would want is the
> Hemi, handling and of course, the styling. A/C would be the only
> other thing I would want.

I can't argue with the prices quoted in the press release but they're
MUCH lower than a current Charger of similar specs which makes me
suspicious that they're just the absolute lowest base price with zero
options. e.g., Chrysler had advertized them as "under $30,000" but if
one checked the web site, it was about 5 cents under, and you
couldn't find one like that as they're all pre-configured with a set
of options that is pretty all-inclusive.

As to your wanting a base car but just with a HEMI, I think that
after you looked at what would be missing, you might change your
mind. However, you really won't be able to find out much on the 2009s
until this fall, I would think.

>> BTW, I thought you had your eye on a Ram Big Horn with a HEMI?

> That is still going through my mind. I think a truck would be more
> practical and safer for me than a hot little Challenger. Even
> though I will be 54 in June, I still have a lust for speed and
> accelleration. It would be most difficult for me to keep my right
> foot off the "loud pedal" of a HEMI Challenger!
>
> Maybe
>> you shoulda bought one earlier. Chrysler took away my Employee
>> Choice discounts that I've talked to you about a couple of times.
>> It was cancelled suddenly last month without any warning or
>> reason.

> With the economy the way it is, that doesn't surprise me. It
> appears that many companies are cutting back on fringes and
> bennies. Time Warner Cable hasn't done that to me yet but, I'm not
> holding my breath either.

This one has puzzled everyone I know, though, because one would think
that in times of falling sales the company would EXPAND the program
so as to entice more people to buy if they could get a better deal
than just walking in from the street.