New sim

Old April 26th 05, 12:24 PM
Paulinho

Default New sim

This may be all hot air.... but where I live (UK) I work on a
trading/business estate. You all know the sort, lots of units in a big
building as well as units with big doors for vans etc etc.
Well for the last 8 months the unit opposite me has been filled with about
6-8 guys and 1 women. They all own fast cars (scoobys etc) apart from the
women ( no pun ), well anyhow after months of me being interested in what
they do curiosity got the better of me.
Andy the guy that seems to run it came over to me to ask a favour ( moving
some stuff ). So off I trotted and inside I went.

Basically it was a room with lots of computers and a few consoles in.. a
normal office with desks and a front desk. I gave him a hand dragging this
large boxed and proceeded to help set up a huge and I mean huge plasma
screen ( this was late last night ).

Andy then asked me if I played games much, I said well I do, but I'm more
into Sims on me old PC. He said "that's great", we chatted for a while about
what I liked and what I thought was good and what wasn't ( I thought here we
go another sim head ). I also talked about the fact that there doesn't seem
to be many true Sims coming out on the PC apart from Live For Speed and what
every the West's are doing.
He said it was interesting and asked if I wanted to see something, We walked
into a smaller side room and in side was a full frex set-up with a 42"
plasma screen. He switched on the pc and proceeded to load up a sim that
only I can describe as draw droopingly good.
It's was a racing game called " Racing Elite " ( working title ). There
where no real menus and some of the track side graphics where not apparent
but there where two cars I could choose from. One was the 6 wheeled Tyrell
and the other was a Ferrari.. I chose the Tyrell.. and all I can say is that
it made 100% of the Sims I've seen today totally crap.
The way the car drove was way beyond most Sims, and talk about being hugely
fast.. and even the sound put GTR plus GT4 to shame.
Having crashed more times than I could imaging Andy then showed my how to
drive the Ferrari.. and yes the game moves...

He explained that the game is due out in about 18 months and would utilise
fully the 64bit windows system ( huh more money ). As yet they didn't have a
publisher but he promised it would be a sim and not a GAME.... they were
looking at doing a X-box2 version and PS3 but the main development would be
for the PC. He explained that most of them had come from major UK games
companies and decided to set up for them self's after becoming saddened by
the way Sims have been forced to become more of a market friendly
orientation.
Andy also explained that they are working on a web site and hope to go
public in the next 2 weeks or so...

He said there's still about 70% left to do, but things like menus etc etc
would all drop into the SIM at the end.
He said he didn't mind me going public about it as there so close to making
an announcement that it wouldn't matter and the more hype they can generate
the better. He seemed a very nice guy and also apparently does a lot of
small time motor sport..?
He did explain about some of the physics engine ( all there own work ) as
well as the 3d engine ( again all there own work ).

Unlike most Sims it uses a new 4 wheel dynamic suspension system, these
include tyre wear and tyre temp and tyre pressure + camber etc etc. He said
that it would have a real time weather system with moving clouds... but none
of this would take anything away from what he said will be the next big
racing SIM...

But it's hard to explain what I played. I mean I've been playing Sims/games
since I was 10 years old in 1981.. I have a Frex set-up myself and I love
GTR/GPL/Richard Burns etc etc as well as GT4 on the PS2...but I can't stress
enough how much this sim blew me away.
The track layout seemed to be the old silverstone but there wasn't much in
the sense of background detail... but this sim was so live.. kind of imaging
a new GPL on steroids... with a huge turbo fitted.. I could wheel spin the
car in the 1st 4 gears on corners.. so throttle control was amazingly hard..
I can't wait 18 months.

I'm not at work today so I can't go and see him... plus I don't want to come
across as a nerd.. but more than likely he's going to read this on here..

Old April 26th 05, 04:47 PM
Plowboy

Wow...

I killed OE's newsgroups just weeks ago, so i dont have the link handy,
maybe Ill find it on google, but seems yahoo or someone had info on this
(possibly similiar) tittle? racking my brain, but I posted the thing here,
and I could be mistaken.

headed to google.

Plowboy

Paulinho enlightened us with:

Old April 26th 05, 07:36 PM
Paulinho

"Plowboy" > wrote in message
> [...]
>> moving clouds... but none of this would take anything away from what
>> he said will be the next big racing SIM...
>>
>> But it's hard to explain what I played. I mean I've been playing
>> Sims/games since I was 10 years old in 1981.. I have a Frex set-up
>> myself and I love GTR/GPL/Richard Burns etc etc as well as GT4 on the
>> PS2...but I can't stress enough how much this sim blew me away.
>> The track layout seemed to be the old silverstone but there wasn't
>> much in the sense of background detail... but this sim was so live..
>> kind of imaging a new GPL on steroids... with a huge turbo fitted.. I
>> could wheel spin the car in the 1st 4 gears on corners.. so throttle
>> control was amazingly hard.. I can't wait 18 months.
>>
>> I'm not at work today so I can't go and see him... plus I don't want
>> to come across as a nerd.. but more than likely he's going to read

Ok I'm hopefully gonna get a picture tomorrow on my phone.. it won't be to
good, but it's a start !!

Old April 27th 05, 11:59 AM
Woodie83

Paulinho wrote:

> I really wish I could sneak a picture, but then again if he claims there web
> site is going live in 2 weeks then we should all have the fun of sharing
> it...

They didn't have a housecat and a bunch of teddy bears laying around,
did they?

Don McCorkle
Old April 27th 05, 07:10 PM
Paulinho

"Paulinho" > wrote in message

> [...]
>>>
>>> But it's hard to explain what I played. I mean I've been playing
>>> Sims/games since I was 10 years old in 1981.. I have a Frex set-up
>>> myself and I love GTR/GPL/Richard Burns etc etc as well as GT4 on the
>>> PS2...but I can't stress enough how much this sim blew me away.
>>> The track layout seemed to be the old silverstone but there wasn't
>>> much in the sense of background detail... but this sim was so live..
>>> kind of imaging a new GPL on steroids... with a huge turbo fitted.. I
>>> could wheel spin the car in the 1st 4 gears on corners.. so throttle
>>> control was amazingly hard.. I can't wait 18 months.
>>>
>>> I'm not at work today so I can't go and see him... plus I don't want
>>> to come across as a nerd.. but more than likely he's going to read
>>> this on here..

> Ok I'm hopefully gonna get a picture tomorrow on my phone.. it won't be to

Just to say I didn't go into work today.. so no news, sorry... I went bike
shopping instead.,..

Old April 28th 05, 02:18 AM
Michael R Sisson

In article >,
"Paulinho" > says...

> He said there's still about 70% left to do, but things like menus etc etc
> would all drop into the SIM at the end.
> He said he didn't mind me going public about it as there so close to making
> an announcement that it wouldn't matter and the more hype they can generate

True or not, this would make a perfect April Fools Day post. I am
copying it, spell/grammar checking it and maybe add to it a bit. April
1st 2006, lookout!

MRSisson
--
LOAD "GPL",8

SEARCHING FOR GPL
READY.
RUN
Old April 28th 05, 05:13 AM
Dave Henrie

Michael R Sisson > wrote in

> In article >,
> "Paulinho" > says...
>>

>> He said there's still about 70% left to do, but things like menus etc
>> etc would all drop into the SIM at the end.
>> He said he didn't mind me going public about it as there so close to
>> making an announcement that it wouldn't matter and the more hype they
>> can generate

> True or not, this would make a perfect April Fools Day post. I am
> copying it, spell/grammar checking it and maybe add to it a bit. April
> 1st 2006, lookout!
>

> MRSisson

The thing that 'caught' my eye's attention was the mention that the
programmer had A) a huge plasma screen at home, and b) the exact same wheel
pedal kit as the poster. Mighty coincidental that two high end wheel pedal
combos are almost next-door neighbors.
curiouser and curiouser

dave henrie
Old April 28th 05, 02:29 PM

Dave Henrie wrote:
> Michael R Sisson > wrote in
>
> > In article >,
> > "Paulinho" > says...
> >>

> >> He said there's still about 70% left to do, but things like menus

etc
> >> etc would all drop into the SIM at the end.
> >> He said he didn't mind me going public about it as there so close

> >> making an announcement that it wouldn't matter and the more hype

they
> >> can generate

> > True or not, this would make a perfect April Fools Day post. I am
> > copying it, spell/grammar checking it and maybe add to it a bit.

April
> > 1st 2006, lookout!
> >

> > MRSisson

> The thing that 'caught' my eye's attention was the mention that

the
> programmer had A) a huge plasma screen at home, and b) the exact same

wheel
> pedal kit as the poster. Mighty coincidental that two high end wheel

pedal
> combos are almost next-door neighbors.
> curiouser and curiouser
>
> dave henrie

It didn't say the programmer had a huge plasma screen at home. It was
in the office where this supposed sim is being developed -- which is a
bit more believable.

-Patrick