TSW2 USB Upgrade

Old April 25th 05, 02:17 AM
JimC

Default TSW2 USB Upgrade

Has anybody upgraded/converted their older TSW2 to the newer USB interface.
I'm curious if there's any diffference in the accuracy/tracking of the
steering? I have a tsw2 modified that has the older 250k pots and I'm want
to upgrade to USB and use the 25K pots. Currently I'm using the rocketfire
adapter but the steering jumps around a bit to much. I run mostly Nascar
2003.

Old April 25th 05, 12:47 PM
DC

JimC wrote:
> Has anybody upgraded/converted their older TSW2 to the newer USB interface.
> I'm curious if there's any diffference in the accuracy/tracking of the
> steering? I have a tsw2 modified that has the older 250k pots and I'm want
> to upgrade to USB and use the 25K pots. Currently I'm using the rocketfire
> adapter but the steering jumps around a bit to much. I run mostly Nascar
> 2003.

I am using my tsw with the gameport connection (lots of n2003). I am
wondering the same thing. I heard tire wear is better with the usb
version. A lot smoother.

Curious myself...

DC
Old April 25th 05, 03:13 PM
Darus

To both posters above, for me anyway, the Rockfire adapter works
perfectly. If the steering is jumping around, then there is a problem
somewhere else. I would be surprised if there was a major jump in
accuracy over the Rockfire adapter vs. the new USB wiring. For me, the
time without the wheel and the cost of the project don't add up. On a
new purchase, it makes sense, but in my case it doesn't. Perhaps if you
call TEI directly and speak to Dave Jr., he can explain it better.

Old April 25th 05, 03:26 PM
Kerry Grant

DC wrote:

> I am using my tsw with the gameport connection (lots of n2003). I am
> wondering the same thing. I heard tire wear is better with the usb
> version. A lot smoother.
>
> Curious myself...
>
> DC

Why oh Why did you have to say this? LOL Is that really the case? I have
a problem with tire wear and if this will improve that then I may have
to switch. I am currently using the Rockfire adapter with the 250k pots.

Kerry
Old April 26th 05, 12:44 AM
DC

Kerry Grant wrote:
> DC wrote:
>

>> I am using my tsw with the gameport connection (lots of n2003). I am
>> wondering the same thing. I heard tire wear is better with the usb
>> version. A lot smoother.
>>
>> Curious myself...
>>
>> DC

> Why oh Why did you have to say this? LOL Is that really the case? I have
> a problem with tire wear and if this will improve that then I may have
> to switch. I am currently using the Rockfire adapter with the 250k pots.
>
> Kerry

hehe...I would think the usb conversion is the way to go. the rockfire
is shaky imo. I believe there is a comparison somewhere at their site.
However maybe it's the pots I am using? The rockfire was ok but I think
with xp and dx usb is the way to go. gameport is going to be extinct soon.

Anyhow Kerry..one way to test this is if you can drum up a ff wheel
(logi, thrustmaster, etc) and give it a brief go. It may feel weird
compared to your tsw at first but eventually you will get used to it and
then you can compare tire wear. I would run some long races with my tsw
and would always struggle with the tire wear. then I used a momo ff
wheel and the tires seemed to last a bit longer.

pc gaming is an expensive hobby )))

Good luck...

DC
Old April 26th 05, 03:14 AM
gordo

"JimC" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Has anybody upgraded/converted their older TSW2 to the newer USB
> interface.
> I'm curious if there's any diffference in the accuracy/tracking of the
> steering? I have a tsw2 modified that has the older 250k pots and I'm
> want
> to upgrade to USB and use the 25K pots. Currently I'm using the
> rocketfire
> adapter but the steering jumps around a bit to much. I run mostly Nascar
> 2003.

Shipped my TSW Cup back for the usb upgrade last year and patiently waited
for it.
The upgrade made a world of difference for me.
Before, I had issues with a dead spot off center and some jittery response
too.
It even had the high grade spec pots. But no joy.
I almost put the wheel up for sale but decided to give it one last chance
with the usb upgrade.
Now the wheel is rock steady and more responsive.
I had to adjust linearity down some because it is so much more responsive.

Old April 26th 05, 10:16 AM
Uwe Schürkamp

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 02:14:50 GMT, gordo wrote:
> Shipped my TSW Cup back for the usb upgrade last year and patiently waited
> for it.
> The upgrade made a world of difference for me.

can you tell us how many separate values you get in the steering axis
and the pedals? Using hi-spec pots and the Rockfire, I get around 250
separate values for steering and about 80 on the pedals. I was
wondering if the usb kit by TSW improves those ranges significantly
before I shell out $100 for the kit.

Also, shipping the wheel to TSW is not an option as I'm in Europe, so
I'd have to install it myself.

Cheers, uwe

--
GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61
Old April 26th 05, 12:15 PM
DC

gordo wrote:
> "JimC" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>
>>Has anybody upgraded/converted their older TSW2 to the newer USB
>>interface.
>>I'm curious if there's any diffference in the accuracy/tracking of the
>>steering? I have a tsw2 modified that has the older 250k pots and I'm
>>want
>>to upgrade to USB and use the 25K pots. Currently I'm using the
>>rocketfire
>>adapter but the steering jumps around a bit to much. I run mostly Nascar
>>2003.
>>

> Shipped my TSW Cup back for the usb upgrade last year and patiently waited
> for it.
> The upgrade made a world of difference for me.
> Before, I had issues with a dead spot off center and some jittery response
> too.
> It even had the high grade spec pots. But no joy.
> I almost put the wheel up for sale but decided to give it one last chance
> with the usb upgrade.
> Now the wheel is rock steady and more responsive.
> I had to adjust linearity down some because it is so much more responsive.

I actually put the wheel in a closet and went with the black momo for
the last 9 months or so. My opinion is that xp does not like the
gameport. I am getting used to it again but would really like that
upgrade. Don't feel like paying the shipping and other related costs.

DC
Old April 26th 05, 06:06 PM
Jim Locking

"JimC" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Has anybody upgraded/converted their older TSW2 to the newer USB
> interface.
> I'm curious if there's any diffference in the accuracy/tracking of the
> steering? I have a tsw2 modified that has the older 250k pots and I'm
> want
> to upgrade to USB and use the 25K pots. Currently I'm using the
> rocketfire
> adapter but the steering jumps around a bit to much. I run mostly Nascar
> 2003.

Absolutely ! Go for it ! It will be the best 100 dollars you ever spent .
I would spend it again in a heartbeat !

I was using the Rockfire with XP Pro and Nascar2k3.. and was getting the
usual "jittery" calibration.
I spent the money, got the do-it-yourself USB upgrade kit from TSW, and
couldn't be happier !
The controller is now smoooooth , no jitters , everything just works ...
better .
The more you use it, the more you'll like it . I know I do !
-=JL

Old April 27th 05, 03:18 AM
gordo

"Uwe Schürkamp" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 02:14:50 GMT, gordo wrote:
>> Shipped my TSW Cup back for the usb upgrade last year and patiently
>> waited
>> for it.
>> The upgrade made a world of difference for me.

> can you tell us how many separate values you get in the steering axis
> and the pedals? Using hi-spec pots and the Rockfire, I get around 250
> separate values for steering and about 80 on the pedals. I was
> wondering if the usb kit by TSW improves those ranges significantly
> before I shell out $100 for the kit.
>
> Also, shipping the wheel to TSW is not an option as I'm in Europe, so
> I'd have to install it myself.
>
> Cheers, uwe

Uwe,
I'm not sure exactly what you asked for, but here is what I see in my
calibration screen in N2003.
Axis 1- Brake = 127min - 201max, raw=129
Axis 2 -Throttle = 50min - 120max, raw=119
Axis 3 - Steering = 22min - 239max, raw=131
All values hold steady, no jittering numbers.
Hope this is what you are asking for.

upgrade 325 to HK stereo Tim Heuer BMW 1 March 8th 05 11:05 AM
Dinan upgrade [email protected] BMW 8 January 20th 05 05:58 PM
Engine Management Upgrade A3 ODB2 Jettas Lee VW water cooled 0 December 23rd 04 04:35 AM