Neon CrankShaft Sensor

Old November 5th 07, 01:25 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Dan[_22_]

Default Neon CrankShaft Sensor

My daughter's 1998 DOHC Neon engine stopped while driving. The OBD-II's only
error codes are 12, battery, and 54, Camshaft Sensor failure. My question
for this group is if the sensor has failed, should I still have spark? I
thought if that sensor has failed, there would be no timing indication and
therefore no spark generated. Any input would be appreciated. Dan

Old November 5th 07, 01:28 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Dan[_22_]

Default Neon CamShaft Sensor Not Crankshaft, sorry

. net...

Old November 5th 07, 08:29 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

"Dan" > wrote in message
. net...
> My daughter's 1998 DOHC Neon engine stopped while driving. The OBD-II's

only
> error codes are 12, battery, and 54, Camshaft Sensor failure. My question
> for this group is if the sensor has failed, should I still have spark? I
> thought if that sensor has failed, there would be no timing indication and
> therefore no spark generated. Any input would be appreciated. Dan

Yes you will have a spark, the engine may have a hard time starting and will
get very bad gas mileage.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old November 6th 07, 04:50 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Dan[_22_]

Thanks Maxpower for replying. I changed out the Camshaft Sensor and no
change. Engine cranks, but does not start. I have spark, smell gas, and hear
the pump cycle. I have not check pressure yet, but I would think that the
engine would try to fire with a weak pump. This engine does not feel like
any cylinder is trying to fire. So with spark, and the smell of gas, where
is the lack of ignition occurring? I read where the Crankshaft sensor can
cause the engine not to "work", what ever that means. What am I missing
here? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

. ..

Old November 6th 07, 10:25 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

"Dan" > wrote in message
et...
> Thanks Maxpower for replying. I changed out the Camshaft Sensor and no
> change. Engine cranks, but does not start. I have spark, smell gas, and

hear
> the pump cycle. I have not check pressure yet, but I would think that the
> engine would try to fire with a weak pump. This engine does not feel like
> any cylinder is trying to fire. So with spark, and the smell of gas, where
> is the lack of ignition occurring? I read where the Crankshaft sensor can
> cause the engine not to "work", what ever that means. What am I missing
> here? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Dan
>
> "maxpower" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >
> > "Dan" > wrote in message
> > . net...
> >> My daughter's 1998 DOHC Neon engine stopped while driving. The OBD-II's

> > only
> >> error codes are 12, battery, and 54, Camshaft Sensor failure. My

question
> >> for this group is if the sensor has failed, should I still have spark?

> >> thought if that sensor has failed, there would be no timing indication
> >> and
> >> therefore no spark generated. Any input would be appreciated. Dan
> >>

> > Yes you will have a spark, the engine may have a hard time starting and
> > will
> > get very bad gas mileage.
> >
> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler Tech

engine timing!! was the belt ever replaced, the timing belt??

Glenn Beasley

Old November 6th 07, 11:49 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Dan[_22_]

"maxpower" > wrote in message

> "Dan" > wrote in message
> et...
>> Thanks Maxpower for replying. I changed out the Camshaft Sensor and no
>> change. Engine cranks, but does not start. I have spark, smell gas, and

> hear
>> the pump cycle. I have not check pressure yet, but I would think that the
>> engine would try to fire with a weak pump. This engine does not feel like
>> any cylinder is trying to fire. So with spark, and the smell of gas,
>> where
>> is the lack of ignition occurring? I read where the Crankshaft sensor
>> can
>> cause the engine not to "work", what ever that means. What am I missing
>> here? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Dan
>>
>> "maxpower" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>> >
>> > "Dan" > wrote in message
>> > . net...
>> > only

> question

>> > Yes you will have a spark, the engine may have a hard time starting and
>> > will
>> > get very bad gas mileage.
>> >
>> > Glenn Beasley
>> > Chrysler Tech
>> >

> engine timing!! was the belt ever replaced, the timing belt??
>

> Glenn Beasley

The timing belt was changed around 60,000 miles, the car now has 104,000, so
it is possible. I thought the Neon engines were not zero clearance, so I
would expect to hear a lot of bad noise when cranking the engine. I am
having the car towed home tomorrow as it is sitting is a Taco joint parking
lot. Sine the Camshaft Sensor was a easy replacement, I did it in the
parking lot. I will be checking the Timing belt and Crankshaft sensor
tomorrow and reply to the group on findings. Thanks again for your reply.

Dan

Old November 7th 07, 08:25 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

"Dan" > wrote in message

> "maxpower" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Dan" > wrote in message
> > et...
> >> Thanks Maxpower for replying. I changed out the Camshaft Sensor and no
> >> change. Engine cranks, but does not start. I have spark, smell gas, and

> > hear
> >> the pump cycle. I have not check pressure yet, but I would think that

the
> >> engine would try to fire with a weak pump. This engine does not feel

like
> >> any cylinder is trying to fire. So with spark, and the smell of gas,
> >> where
> >> is the lack of ignition occurring? I read where the Crankshaft sensor
> >> can
> >> cause the engine not to "work", what ever that means. What am I missing
> >> here? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
> >>
> >> Dan
> >>
> >> "maxpower" > wrote in message
> >> . ..

> > question

spark?

indication

and

> > engine timing!! was the belt ever replaced, the timing belt??
> >

> > Glenn Beasley
> >

> The timing belt was changed around 60,000 miles, the car now has 104,000,

so
> it is possible. I thought the Neon engines were not zero clearance, so I
> would expect to hear a lot of bad noise when cranking the engine. I am
> having the car towed home tomorrow as it is sitting is a Taco joint

parking
> lot. Sine the Camshaft Sensor was a easy replacement, I did it in the
> parking lot. I will be checking the Timing belt and Crankshaft sensor
> tomorrow and reply to the group on findings. Thanks again for your reply.
>
> Dan

Just because you have a camshaft sensor code does not mean that it is the
sensor, it could be the 5 volt supply, the ground or the sense wire

Old November 8th 07, 03:49 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Dan[_22_]

"maxpower" > wrote in message
news

> "Dan" > wrote in message
>>
>> "maxpower" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Dan" > wrote in message
>> > et...
>> > hear

> the

> like

>> > question

> spark?

> indication

> and

>> > engine timing!! was the belt ever replaced, the timing belt??
>> >

>> > Glenn Beasley
>> >

>> The timing belt was changed around 60,000 miles, the car now has 104,000,

> so
>> it is possible. I thought the Neon engines were not zero clearance, so I
>> would expect to hear a lot of bad noise when cranking the engine. I am
>> having the car towed home tomorrow as it is sitting is a Taco joint

> parking
>> lot. Sine the Camshaft Sensor was a easy replacement, I did it in the
>> parking lot. I will be checking the Timing belt and Crankshaft sensor
>> tomorrow and reply to the group on findings. Thanks again for your
>> reply.
>>
>> Dan
>>

> Just because you have a camshaft sensor code does not mean that it is the
> sensor, it could be the 5 volt supply, the ground or the sense wire

Agreed. I shot gunned hoping that was it. I have since had it towed home and
will start going through it. What I have read, the car will start with a
failed Camshaft sensor, so I will be looking at the timing belt and
Crankshaft sensors also.

Old November 12th 07, 12:27 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Dan[_22_]

What fun taking the timing cover off! Looks like the water pump bearings
went out. The gear on the pump was torn up and between chunks of gear and
some antifreeze, the teeth on the timing belt stripped on the crankshaft.
The car is always parked on a concrete driveway, I never noticed any
antifreeze leaks to for warn of impending danger. Interesting that the
camshafts were not in timing when I looked at where they were at. Not sure
how that happened as the belt was securely around both camshafts. The belt
did not break, just stripped. Still working on it. Hopefully the engine was
not damaged, but what are those chances?

Dan

et...

Old November 15th 07, 02:57 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
truckdriver

On Nov 11, 7:27 pm, "Dan" > wrote:
> What fun taking the timing cover off! Looks like the water pump bearings
> went out. The gear on the pump was torn up and between chunks of gear and
> some antifreeze, the teeth on the timing belt stripped on the crankshaft.
> The car is always parked on a concrete driveway, I never noticed any
> antifreeze leaks to for warn of impending danger. Interesting that the
> camshafts were not in timing when I looked at where they were at. Not sure
> how that happened as the belt was securely around both camshafts. The belt
> did not break, just stripped. Still working on it. Hopefully the engine was
> not damaged, but what are those chances?
>
> Dan
>
> "Dan" > wrote in message
>
> et...
>

> > "maxpower" > wrote in message
> >news

> >> "Dan" > wrote in message
> et...

> >> the
> >> like

> >> spark?
> >> indication

> >> and

> >> so
> >> parking

> >> Just because you have a camshaft sensor code does not mean that it is the
> >> sensor, it could be the 5 volt supply, the ground or the sense wire

> > Agreed. I shot gunned hoping that was it. I have since had it towed home
> > and will start going through it. What I have read, the car will start with
> > a failed Camshaft sensor, so I will be looking at the timing belt and
> > Crankshaft sensors also.- Hide quoted text -

here is a question for you is this car an auto or stick if it is a
stick take a look at the power box next to the battery actuly lift up
the box and look for a red and white wire thats goes to the bottom of
the box and see if the cable rubbed through that would prevent the car
from starting it happened to me

Crankshaft position sensor on 89 Wrangler sozai Jeep 2 September 8th 06 01:26 AM
Neon Crankshaft Sensor [email protected] Chrysler 3 April 5th 06 09:21 AM
crankshaft position sensor help randy pape Dodge 6 February 9th 06 01:22 AM
BMW Crankshaft sensor crazy4 BMW 5 June 20th 05 04:45 AM
Locate the crankshaft position sensor Leo Saturn 2 January 18th 05 03:31 PM