Fog Lamps

Old September 24th 07, 03:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brian[_24_]

Default Fog Lamps

Hello all, I was wondering if there is a way to make the fog lights come on
with the high beams? I have read threads on the mustang sites but they all
seem to be way over complicated. Does anyone know how to make this happen?
Thanks Brian

Old September 24th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brian[_24_]

sorry it's a 2006 GT

Old September 24th 07, 10:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox

Brian wrote:
> Hello all, I was wondering if there is a way to make the fog lights come
> on with the high beams? I have read threads on the mustang sites but
> they all seem to be way over complicated. Does anyone know how to make
> this happen? Thanks Brian

It can be done, but the switches can easily burn out if you do not run a
separate power supply for the lights.

--
"Wow, I want a billion Dollars and a pet monkey!" - Dale Jarrett

"Paul's vocabulary is rather large, but
most of the words have no meaning in English" - Joe Canuck
Old September 24th 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jan

Brian wrote:
> Hello all, I was wondering if there is a way to make the fog lights come
> on with the high beams? I have read threads on the mustang sites but
> they all seem to be way over complicated. Does anyone know how to make
> this happen? Thanks Brian

The purpose of fog lights is to provide light down low, under the usual
(headlight) height of fog. They should be used when headlights are off.
It's because if you run headlights, especially high beams in fog, they
tend to blind the driver due to light reflecting back from the fog.
Using fog lights together with high beams is ass-backwards, you negate
the benefits of fog lights by using high beams to still blind you.

Running fog lights when there is NO fog, creates a bright spot on the
road right infront of the driver, sometimes effectively drawing
attention from where you SHOULD be looking at - further down the road.
It also can blind you a little, your eyes adjust to the bright spot and
you don't see what is going on immediately outside of it (pedestrians,
animals, etc just outside of the beam) - your night vision suffers!

Personally, I have found fog lights to be the most useless kind of
lights imaginable on a car. The number of times I have really needed
them are very very limited.

In certain regions, it is illegal to have fog lights on unless there is
fog present. You get fined. That probably stems from the habit many
people have of aiming them too high to supplement their weak headlights
under normal driving conditions, and that's when they blind the oncoming
traffic...

Now, if you just wanted them on for the cool factor, you can achieve
that with a separate power source and a switch on the dashboard or
center console, or you can install a relay that draws signal power (very
weak) off of some power source that suits your need. The high beam
indicator light would work well if you ONLY wanted them to come on with
your high beams. Or steal the signal from the high beam bulb wire
itself. Still, be warned that this might actually hurt your vision in
the dark because of the bright spot right in front of the car that makes
your eyes adjust for bright instead of dark.

jan

Old September 25th 07, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Ed White[_2_]

"Brian" > wrote in message
> Hello all, I was wondering if there is a way to make the fog lights come
> on with the high beams? I have read threads on the mustang sites but they
> all seem to be way over complicated. Does anyone know how to make this
> happen? Thanks Brian

Why would you want to do this? Fog lights are for use in Fog, not to impress
people with how super cool you are. See
http://home.mindspring.com/~ed_white/id10.html .

Ed White

Old September 25th 07, 05:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
RD Jones

On Sep 24, 5:50 pm, Jan > wrote:

> The purpose of fog lights is to provide light down low, under the usual
> (headlight) height of fog. They should be used when headlights are off.
> It's because if you run headlights, especially high beams in fog, they
> tend to blind the driver due to light reflecting back from the fog.
> Using fog lights together with high beams is ass-backwards, you negate
> the benefits of fog lights by using high beams to still blind you.

The "Fog Lights" as Ford still calls them are not positioned correctly
on the
2005-on Mustang to function properly as fog lights. The various models
from
1979 to 2004 which included fog lamps were all placed very low below
the
front bumper.

The new car's placement in the grille between the headlights seems to
mimic
the early '70s Mach 1 "Sport Lamps".

rd

PS - I really hate rude, inconsiderate oncoming drivers who don't dim
their
brights/foglights/landing-lights. Is it just my area of the country
where jerks
think it's cool to try and blind people at night ?

Old September 25th 07, 05:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Name Is Nobody

"Jan" > wrote in message
> Brian wrote:
>> Hello all, I was wondering if there is a way to make the fog lights come
>> on with the high beams? I have read threads on the mustang sites but
>> they all seem to be way over complicated. Does anyone know how to make
>> this happen? Thanks Brian

> The purpose of fog lights is to provide light down low, under the usual
> (headlight) height of fog. They should be used when headlights are off.
> It's because if you run headlights, especially high beams in fog, they
> tend to blind the driver due to light reflecting back from the fog.
> Using fog lights together with high beams is ass-backwards, you negate the
> benefits of fog lights by using high beams to still blind you.
>
> Running fog lights when there is NO fog, creates a bright spot on the road
> right infront of the driver, sometimes effectively drawing attention from
> where you SHOULD be looking at - further down the road. It also can blind
> you a little, your eyes adjust to the bright spot and you don't see what
> is going on immediately outside of it (pedestrians, animals, etc just
> outside of the beam) - your night vision suffers!
>
> Personally, I have found fog lights to be the most useless kind of lights
> imaginable on a car. The number of times I have really needed them are
> very very limited.

That is why most cars today don't even use "fog lights" any more, they use
"driving lights" IE; Mustang GT, these are basically a second headlight
bulb, not a fog light.

If you want to drop just over $100 on a solution, to run all your lights,
lowbeam, highbeam and driving lights at the same time, same as flash to
pass, but don't want to burn out your light switch or wiring, look into a
Bright Box light box.

Old September 25th 07, 11:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Bob Willard

My Name Is Nobody wrote:

> If you want to drop just over $100 on a solution, to run all your lights,
> lowbeam, highbeam and driving lights at the same time, same as flash to
> pass, but don't want to burn out your light switch or wiring, look into a
> Bright Box light box.

ISTR that it is illegal to have more than 4 (2x2) lights on concurrently,
on the front of a car. So, high-beams + low-beams + fogs is a no-no.

I looked in the current MA driver's manual, but it has been dumbed down
a lot, and a lot of info has been removed.
--
Cheers, Bob
Old September 25th 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Name Is Nobody

"Bob Willard" > wrote in message
. ..
> My Name Is Nobody wrote:
>>
>> If you want to drop just over $100 on a solution, to run all your lights,
>> lowbeam, highbeam and driving lights at the same time, same as flash to
>> pass, but don't want to burn out your light switch or wiring, look into a
>> Bright Box light box.
>>

> ISTR that it is illegal to have more than 4 (2x2) lights on concurrently,
> on the front of a car. So, high-beams + low-beams + fogs is a no-no.
>
> I looked in the current MA driver's manual, but it has been dumbed down
> a lot, and a lot of info has been removed.
> --
> Cheers, Bob

Since they are, on most cars both in the same bulb (high and low beams), it
would kind of make defining let alone proving a law like that difficult at
best...

Old September 26th 07, 12:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox

Ed White wrote:
> "Brian" > wrote in message
>> Hello all, I was wondering if there is a way to make the fog lights come
>> on with the high beams? I have read threads on the mustang sites but they
>> all seem to be way over complicated. Does anyone know how to make this
>> happen? Thanks Brian

> Why would you want to do this? Fog lights are for use in Fog, not to impress
> people with how super cool you are. See
> http://home.mindspring.com/~ed_white/id10.html .
>
> Ed White

And if todays cars actually had "fog lights" that would be true, but
using Daniels Sterns term to describe todays substitute for fog lights
the sick jokes that are used are good for nothing more than looks anyway.

--
"Wow, I want a billion Dollars and a pet monkey!" - Dale Jarrett

"Paul's vocabulary is rather large, but
most of the words have no meaning in English" - Joe Canuck

Fog Lamps On A '03 Ion teem[_1_] Saturn 0 November 25th 06 05:36 AM
Hella 500 Fog Lamps Christine[_1_] Jeep 19 October 8th 06 07:44 PM
Impossible Lamps vincent Antique cars 4 July 2nd 06 09:11 PM
Aftermarket Fog Lamps - '93 JGC Dick Jeep 11 May 22nd 06 02:21 PM
Fog Lamps rlking BMW 2 July 19th 05 05:00 PM