Green vehicles of 2007

Old April 20th 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Spam away

Default Green vehicles of 2007

A good summary of the 12 best and worst green vehicles.
http://www.greenercars.com/bestof.html

In the best list it's all Asian makes. Most know who they are!
In the worst Mercedes has 4 places and Chrysler has 2, giving DC 50% of
the worst vehicles.
Old April 20th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Spam away wrote:
> A good summary of the 12 best and worst green vehicles.
> http://www.greenercars.com/bestof.html
>
> In the best list it's all Asian makes. Most know who they are!
> In the worst Mercedes has 4 places and Chrysler has 2, giving DC 50% of
> the worst vehicles.

Hmmm - Prius is rated as the no. 2 green vehicle for 2007. Might want
to read this:
http://clubs.ccsu.edu/Recorder/edito...asp?NewsID=188

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old April 21st 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Robert Reynolds

Bill Putney wrote:
> Spam away wrote:
>> A good summary of the 12 best and worst green vehicles.
>> http://www.greenercars.com/bestof.html
>>
>> In the best list it's all Asian makes. Most know who they are!
>> In the worst Mercedes has 4 places and Chrysler has 2, giving DC 50%
>> of the worst vehicles.

> Hmmm - Prius is rated as the no. 2 green vehicle for 2007. Might want
> to read this:
> http://clubs.ccsu.edu/Recorder/edito...asp?NewsID=188
>
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> address with the letter 'x')

That's a nice analysis of the situation. I used to really enjoy driving
my 51 Studebaker, and I always felt pretty good about not adding to the
environmental disaster caused by all the crap that goes into modern
cars. Not only that, but my Studebaker got about 27 mpg on the highway,
which is a lot better than cars of a similar size and comfort level today.
Old April 21st 07, 09:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Spam away

In article >, Bill Putney >
wrote:

> Spam away wrote:
> > A good summary of the 12 best and worst green vehicles.
> > http://www.greenercars.com/bestof.html
> >
> > In the best list it's all Asian makes. Most know who they are!
> > In the worst Mercedes has 4 places and Chrysler has 2, giving DC 50% of
> > the worst vehicles.

> Hmmm - Prius is rated as the no. 2 green vehicle for 2007. Might want
> to read this:
> http://clubs.ccsu.edu/Recorder/edito...asp?NewsID=188
>
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> address with the letter 'x')

Interesting, but the Prius is not on my short list, nor is any hybrid.
Old April 21st 07, 09:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Some O

In article >,
Robert Reynolds > wrote:

> That's a nice analysis of the situation. I used to really enjoy driving
> my 51 Studebaker, and I always felt pretty good about not adding to the
> environmental disaster caused by all the crap that goes into modern
> cars. Not only that, but my Studebaker got about 27 mpg on the highway,
> which is a lot better than cars of a similar size and comfort level today.

Yes those 50s Studebakers got very good mileage for their time.
My '95 Concord, which is a far better car, does even better in spite of
it's 12 years and 85k miles, plus it's air pollution is far lower.

However you are right about many more recent vehicles; in the last few
years they have been gaining HP and bulk, but losing economy.
Old April 21st 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Robert Reynolds

Spam away wrote:
> In article >, Bill Putney >
> wrote:
>
>> Spam away wrote:
>>> A good summary of the 12 best and worst green vehicles.
>>> http://www.greenercars.com/bestof.html
>>>
>>> In the best list it's all Asian makes. Most know who they are!
>>> In the worst Mercedes has 4 places and Chrysler has 2, giving DC 50% of
>>> the worst vehicles.

>> Hmmm - Prius is rated as the no. 2 green vehicle for 2007. Might want
>> to read this:
>> http://clubs.ccsu.edu/Recorder/edito...asp?NewsID=188
>>
>> Bill Putney
>> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
>> address with the letter 'x')

> Interesting, but the Prius is not on my short list, nor is any hybrid.

I'll make a prediction for the next ten years. I am a used car buyer,
and I don't think I'll ever be a new car buyer. I think that today's
hybrid cars will end up on the junk heap in a few years with virtually
zero demand from the secondary market. Once the batteries start needing
to be replaced, people will run from these overcomplicated vehicles as
fast as possible.
Old April 22nd 07, 03:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Just Facts

> In article >, Bill Putney >
> wrote:
>
> > Spam away wrote:
> > > A good summary of the 12 best and worst green vehicles.
> > > http://www.greenercars.com/bestof.html
> > >
> > > In the best list it's all Asian makes. Most know who they are!
> > > In the worst Mercedes has 4 places and Chrysler has 2, giving DC 50% of
> > > the worst vehicles.

> > Hmmm - Prius is rated as the no. 2 green vehicle for 2007. Might want
> > to read this:
> > http://clubs.ccsu.edu/Recorder/edito...asp?NewsID=188
> >
> > Bill Putney
> > (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> > address with the letter 'x')

Oh my, he sounds like a car salesman who is determined to discredit the
opposition, regardless what junk he's selling.
Actually he's a hybrid himself, of Bush, Moore and Gore.
Posted at a University site is very surprising, but they should practice
open speech.

What he says is out of date, half truths and a political cost comparison.
I'll just note a few things he said; first the pollution at Sudbury,
Canada. Yes it was very bad, but many years ago. Now the area is an
example of what can be done to clean things up, not bury the problem as
was done at the Love Canal in the USA.

Secondly if he doesn't like nickel he'd better stop buying stainless
steel items, including the exhaust on his Hummer if it's of modern
construction. Oh yes most batteries as well, particularly the
rechargeables.

As for his cost comparison, something politicians would try on those who
don't think.
Old April 22nd 07, 03:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Robert Reynolds wrote:

> Spam away wrote:
>
>> In article >, Bill Putney >
>> wrote:

>>> Hmmm - Prius is rated as the no. 2 green vehicle for 2007. Might
>>> want to read this:
>>> http://clubs.ccsu.edu/Recorder/edito...asp?NewsID=188
>>>
>>> Bill Putney
>>> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
>>> address with the letter 'x')

>> Interesting, but the Prius is not on my short list, nor is any hybrid.

> I'll make a prediction for the next ten years. I am a used car buyer,
> and I don't think I'll ever be a new car buyer. I think that today's
> hybrid cars will end up on the junk heap in a few years with virtually
> zero demand from the secondary market. Once the batteries start needing
> to be replaced, people will run from these overcomplicated vehicles as
> fast as possible.

Oh Robert Robert Robert! You should know by now that it's all about
feeling good. The realities have nothing to do with it.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old April 22nd 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

From the article:

"When you pool together all the combined energy it takes to drive and
build a Toyota Prius, the flagship car of energy fanatics, it takes
almost 50 percent more energy than a Hummer - the Prius’s arch nemesis.

"One last fun fact for you: it takes five years to offset the premium
price of a Prius. Meaning, you have to wait 60 months to save any money
over a non-hybrid car because of lower gas expenses."

Please show me the math on that last sentence being wrong (don't forget
to factor in the cost of money over time, and factor in replacing the
batteries and their full replacement cost).

Time to get out the tap shoes.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old April 22nd 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Robert Reynolds

Bill Putney wrote:
> Robert Reynolds wrote:
>
>> Spam away wrote:

>>> Interesting, but the Prius is not on my short list, nor is any hybrid.

>> I'll make a prediction for the next ten years. I am a used car buyer,
>> and I don't think I'll ever be a new car buyer. I think that today's
>> hybrid cars will end up on the junk heap in a few years with virtually
>> zero demand from the secondary market. Once the batteries start
>> needing to be replaced, people will run from these overcomplicated
>> vehicles as fast as possible.

> Oh Robert Robert Robert! You should know by now that it's all about
> feeling good. The realities have nothing to do with it.
>
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> address with the letter 'x')

Ironically, just this morning my wife told me that her mother was
thinking of buying something "more efficient", specifically a hybrid.
She's a feel-good type who likes to jump on whatever bandwagon is
fashionable at the moment. When my wife told her that you have to
change expensive batteries in a few years she said maybe not....

I wonder how dependable the regenerative braking systems will prove to be.