1990 CRX DX Engine

Old December 22nd 04, 12:14 AM

Default 1990 CRX DX Engine

Hi,

I own a 1990 CRX Dx with the D15B2 Engine. The engine is pretty good,
but it has a few problems. For one it burns a bit of oil, the
distributor recently went out, and it's only getting about 24mpg. It
also has 173,000 miles on it, and has had the headgasket replaced after
it overheated to the red twice. I took it to the shop where they said
that they could replace the distributor for 800 dollars...reason it was
so much? The "honda" distributor alone is 600 dollars, wow...so I ask
them about the oil burning (these are the same people who replaced my
axels and headgasket) and they said that it's most likely the piston
rings are warped, which is what I suspected. So they say they can
rebuild the bottom end of the engine to give it new life, sounds good
and I tell them to go for it. So they open the engine up, inspect the
head, and the pistons, and they call me the next day with the engine
all apart and tell me that the cylinder walls of two pistons are pretty
rough, and that it's not worth it to bore it out and still keep this
old engine. So I tell them how about a new engine? They say 500 bucks
for the longblock from japan, 900 in replacement parts on it (timing
belt, gaskets, waterpump, seals) and 1,000 in labor (12 or so hours I
would suppose for this job) does this sound about right? I really like
this car. Do you think it would get better gas mileage and have a bit
more power? Thanks.

Old December 22nd 04, 02:40 AM
SoCalMike

shouldnt be more than bout $1500 for them to drop in a new longblock.
the only replacement parts youd need are the water pump and timing belt.

Old December 22nd 04, 05:37 AM
jim beam

> Hi,
>
> I own a 1990 CRX Dx with the D15B2 Engine. The engine is pretty good,
> but it has a few problems. For one it burns a bit of oil, the
> distributor recently went out, and it's only getting about 24mpg. It
> also has 173,000 miles on it, and has had the headgasket replaced after
> it overheated to the red twice. I took it to the shop where they said
> that they could replace the distributor for 800 dollars...reason it was
> so much? The "honda" distributor alone is 600 dollars, wow...so I ask
> them about the oil burning (these are the same people who replaced my
> axels and headgasket) and they said that it's most likely the piston
> rings are warped, which is what I suspected. So they say they can
> rebuild the bottom end of the engine to give it new life, sounds good
> and I tell them to go for it. So they open the engine up, inspect the
> head, and the pistons, and they call me the next day with the engine
> all apart and tell me that the cylinder walls of two pistons are pretty
> rough, and that it's not worth it to bore it out and still keep this
> old engine. So I tell them how about a new engine? They say 500 bucks
> for the longblock from japan, 900 in replacement parts on it (timing
> belt, gaskets, waterpump, seals) and 1,000 in labor (12 or so hours I
> would suppose for this job) does this sound about right? I really like
> this car. Do you think it would get better gas mileage and have a bit
> more power? Thanks.

sorry, but i think you're getting hosed.

http://www.nippon-motors.com/honda.htm

$375 for a replacement used engine. that includes distributor. or you
can get a fully reconditioned 3-year warranted engine for $1500. and
labor on simply fitting a replacement motor is /way/ less than a rebuild.

all that's happening with the scenario you describe is a lot of expense
from people that don't seem to be able to make a decent diagnosis of
your problem. unless the head gasket is leaking, it doesn't need to be
replaced just because the engine overheats. you can test the gasket
without removing it. similarly, your shop is not fixing your fuel
consumption problem. likely /all/ these issues are caused by a coolant
leak, with incorrect temperature signals sent to the ecu as a result.
and overheating is because of inadequate coolant of course. amazingly,
/both/ excess heat & excess fuel will affect oil consumption. go figure.

again, if your car was taken to a shop that knew what they were doing,
you wouldn't be having major surgery [on your wallet] right now.

Old December 25th 04, 05:03 PM
Michael Simon

"jim beam" > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I own a 1990 CRX Dx with the D15B2 Engine. The engine is pretty good,
>> but it has a few problems. For one it burns a bit of oil, the
>> distributor recently went out, and it's only getting about 24mpg. It
>> also has 173,000 miles on it, and has had the headgasket replaced after
>> it overheated to the red twice. I took it to the shop where they said
>> that they could replace the distributor for 800 dollars...reason it was
>> so much? The "honda" distributor alone is 600 dollars, wow...so I ask
>> them about the oil burning (these are the same people who replaced my
>> axels and headgasket) and they said that it's most likely the piston
>> rings are warped, which is what I suspected. So they say they can
>> rebuild the bottom end of the engine to give it new life, sounds good
>> and I tell them to go for it. So they open the engine up, inspect the
>> head, and the pistons, and they call me the next day with the engine
>> all apart and tell me that the cylinder walls of two pistons are pretty
>> rough, and that it's not worth it to bore it out and still keep this
>> old engine. So I tell them how about a new engine? They say 500 bucks
>> for the longblock from japan, 900 in replacement parts on it (timing
>> belt, gaskets, waterpump, seals) and 1,000 in labor (12 or so hours I
>> would suppose for this job) does this sound about right? I really like
>> this car. Do you think it would get better gas mileage and have a bit
>> more power? Thanks.
>>

> sorry, but i think you're getting hosed.

http://www.nippon-motors.com/honda.htm

> $375 for a replacement used engine. that includes distributor. or you
> can get a fully reconditioned 3-year warranted engine for $1500. and
> labor on simply fitting a replacement motor is /way/ less than a rebuild.
>
> all that's happening with the scenario you describe is a lot of expense
> from people that don't seem to be able to make a decent diagnosis of your
> problem. unless the head gasket is leaking, it doesn't need to be
> replaced just because the engine overheats. you can test the gasket
> without removing it. similarly, your shop is not fixing your fuel
> consumption problem. likely /all/ these issues are caused by a coolant
> leak, with incorrect temperature signals sent to the ecu as a result. and
> overheating is because of inadequate coolant of course. amazingly, /both/
> excess heat & excess fuel will affect oil consumption. go figure.
>
> again, if your car was taken to a shop that knew what they were doing, you
> wouldn't be having major surgery [on your wallet] right now.

I agree. Replace the engine with a reconditioned one. If you intend to keep
you CRX for three of more years it is the only way to go.

---

Old December 26th 04, 12:00 AM
Michael Simon

salt
pepper
oregano
garlic powder
chopped parsley
Flour
eggwash (eggs and milk)
Peanut oil for frying.

Pound the cutlets.
Dredge in flour, eggs, then the bread crumb mixture.
Fry till golden brown in 350° peanut oil.
In a baking pan, place a layer of gravy,
then one of meat, gravy, and cheese.
Another layer each of meat, gravy, and cheese.
Then bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
Serve on hot pasta with romano cheese.

Southern Fried Small-fry

Tastes like fried chicken, which works just as well.
In fact you may want to practice cutting up whole chickens
for frying before you go for the real thing.
Whole chicken is much more efficient and inexpensive than buying pieces.

1 tiny human, cut into pieces
2 cups flour
Onion, garlic
Salt
pepper
garlic powder
cayenne pepper
hot sauce, etc.
Oil for frying

Mix milk, eggs, hot sauce in a bowl, add chopped onion and garlic.
Season the meat liberally, and marinate for several hours.
Place seasoned flour in a paper or plastic shopping bag,
drop pieces in a few a time, shake to coat thoroughly,
then deep fry in hot oil (350°) for about 15 minutes.
Drain and place on paper towels.

Rattle from engine in 1990 Grand Caravan 3.3L V6 [email protected] Chrysler 16 December 30th 04 04:41 PM
1990 520i engine probs Work Hard BMW 3 October 28th 04 05:01 PM
1990 Plymouth Laser engine harness partsmore Dodge 0 October 22nd 04 12:10 AM