2001 grand caravan suspension noise

Old December 30th 06, 03:06 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

Default 2001 grand caravan suspension noise

I have a 2001 grand caravan sport with 59k on it. I bought it used and
it developed a clunking sound from the front end when going over any
bumps at low speed. It gets louder when the tempature drops. My dealer
heard the noise and was unable to locate the problem. They said that
all the suspension components were tight and the van was safe to drive.
But I have 3 kids and I am very concerened about this sound. It just
doesn't sound good and I worry that something is going to give. Anybody
experience this out there?

Old December 30th 06, 11:54 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I have a 2001 grand caravan sport with 59k on it. I bought it used and
> it developed a clunking sound from the front end when going over any
> bumps at low speed. It gets louder when the tempature drops. My dealer
> heard the noise and was unable to locate the problem. They said that
> all the suspension components were tight and the van was safe to drive.
> But I have 3 kids and I am very concerened about this sound. It just
> doesn't sound good and I worry that something is going to give. Anybody
> experience this out there?

Have the sway bar links or stabilizer links been replaced? if not that is
probably what the noise is and I would not have that dealer work on my car
if they could not determine that was the problem. These 2 parts are a common
complaint for what you are describing

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old January 5th 07, 07:02 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
pchotspot

I have a 1996 grand caravan with the same front end noise when I go
over bumps........I changed the sway bushings, the suspension links,
and the struts and the noise is still there. All I am saying is that
the noise could be coming from somewhere else, because I changed all
the above items with no results [noise still there]

Old January 15th 07, 10:49 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
John Casteel

I don't know if the problem is exactly the same but I have had a similar
one. Try this: with the engine running, hold down on the brake pedal,
accelerate slightly (not too much) shift into drive, then reverse and do
this two or three times while listening for any type of unusual noise. What
I found on mine was that the engine and transaxle mounts were beginning to
weaken and was letting the engine rotate too far in the compartment. If it
rotates far enough when you are moving it can actually separate a cv axle
and cause all kinds of damage (this I know from experience). This might be
the answer, good luck...

oups.com...

Old January 15th 07, 11:26 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
duraband420

yup yup i have a 1990 grand voyager and i have the same problem in the
front on the drivers side it realy does it loud if i go over bumps or
when i have to brake hard i have changed everything on the front end
and it is still there i wish i could find out what it is too haha i
guess wer not all alont on this

"riy3rd" wrote:
> I have a 2001 grand caravan sport with 59k on it. I bought it
> used and
> it developed a clunking sound from the front end when going
> over any
> bumps at low speed. It gets louder when the tempature drops.
> My dealer
> heard the noise and was unable to locate the problem. They
> said that
> all the suspension components were tight and the van was safe
> to drive.
> But I have 3 kids and I am very concerened about this sound.
> It just
> doesn't sound good and I worry that something is going to
> give. Anybody
> experience this out there?

Articles individually verified to usenet standards. Visit URL to contact author/report abuse
Thread archive: http://www.AutoBoardz.com/2001-grand...ict201925.html