Recall!

Old September 19th 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeffrey DeWitt

Default Recall!

Good grief...

I got a letter from Chrysler today that my Cherokee has been recalled.

They say the computer needs to be reprogrammed because it probably
doesn't trigger the check engine light, and they also want to check the
catalytic converter to see if it's rattling, if it is they will replace
it for free!

This is a 10 year old Jeep with 300,000+ miles on it and a (not
Chrysler) factory rebuilt engine and they want to work on it for free!

I think they are right about the computer not picking up a failing cat,
the thing rattled quite a bit for a while but eventually calmed down...
and there have been no more problems with it for the past 200,000 miles
or so.

I've often wondered what happened to the cat to quiet it down, might the
stuff have fallen out or did enough stuff build up to glue everything
back together?

The Jeep probably really does need a new cat, and it DID rattle, I
wonder if giving the thing a smack with a hammer cushioned by a block of
wood would get it rattling again.

I'm not trying to get over on Chrysler, the thing DID rattle and I
suspect it doesn't work right and hasn't in years.

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks!

Jeff DeWitt
Old September 19th 06, 06:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Herb Leong

In article >,
Jeffrey DeWitt > wrote:
#I think they are right about the computer not picking up a failing cat,
#the thing rattled quite a bit for a while but eventually calmed down...
I had the cat recalled on my '87 YJ in the early 90's. The dealer said
the cat was empty when they pulled it off.

/herb
Old September 20th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeffrey DeWitt

I talked to the service manager at Jeep dealer today and he sounded
pretty sure that if the cat wasn't actually rattling they wouldn't
replace it.

OK, so the cat is bad and the computer doesn't know it so the Jeep still
passes inspection. If all they are going to do is reprogram the
computer so now it knows the cat is bad and so the Jeep fails inspection
why should I let them do it? How is it to my advantage to have them
"fix" the computer so my Jeep fails inspection?

Jeff DeWitt

Old September 20th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Matt Macchiarolo

Think of all the little ozone families you'll save.. ;-)

m...

Old September 21st 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kate[_3_]

It prolly quit ratteling because the heat shield finally fell off.

I'm kind fof with you, if it works, don't fix it.

Kate

Old September 24th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Peter Parker

In article > ,
Jeffrey DeWitt > wrote:
>I talked to the service manager at Jeep dealer today and he sounded
>pretty sure that if the cat wasn't actually rattling they wouldn't
>replace it.
>
>OK, so the cat is bad and the computer doesn't know it so the Jeep still
>passes inspection. If all they are going to do is reprogram the
>computer so now it knows the cat is bad and so the Jeep fails inspection
> why should I let them do it? How is it to my advantage to have them
>"fix" the computer so my Jeep fails inspection?
>
>Jeff DeWitt

I'm guessing they are anal about the computer reprog because you have a
1996 or new vehicle? They would use the OBD-II to test for emissions instead
of the old sensor up the rear pipe.

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...
Old September 27th 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dave[_17_]

Damn! I replaced mine on my 97 XJ on 10/16/04 86,000-Miles. I guess I
could have waited but the rattle was bad. Dave
On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 00:00:23 GMT, Jeffrey DeWitt

Old October 3rd 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeffrey DeWitt

I put in a new downstream oxygen sensor from oxygensensors.com ($49.90
instead of the $120 at a FLAPS!) and my "Check Engine" light has stayed
out for the past few days.

With the light out my Jeep will pass inspection.

Thanks Bill!

Jeff DeWitt

Buick coolant recall suren Technology 4 April 6th 05 03:55 PM
DaimlerChrysler Canada Recall D37 Stefan Chrysler 0 December 7th 04 12:23 AM
C5 Steering Lock Recall Vinnie Corvette 8 November 7th 04 09:31 PM