dwindling/growing number of cars?

Old September 28th 03, 01:36 PM
Rabbit

> I think what you say is true, but it reminds me of something I have
> wondered about before... what happens to the old restored car. In the 70s
> there was an active antique car club here with a variety of restored old
> cars. The club is still active, but mostly with different members, and
> nobody knows where the cars that were owned by the membership back then
> have gone. They aren't all in museums, and they were restored, so they
> didn't go to junkyards. They just seem to have disappeared.

In the back of someone's garage, somewhere. In another 20 years we'll
probably get another surge of "barn-fresh" cars as these owners die and
their children inherit the properties.

Rabbit

Old September 28th 03, 06:23 PM

>Rabbit wrote:
>
>>>I have heard that, for one marque (Frazer Nash?) there are now more
>>>genuine cars in circulation than were ever made by the factory. Using
>>>the "60% original" rule, two complete cars can be turned into three
>>>"genuine" cars using spare parts.
>>>

>> I think that if you were able to check GM's record, the number of SS cars
>> built versus the number of SS cars that show up in shows or auctions would
>> be hilarious!
>>
>> Rabbit
>>

>And then there's the Miracle Of Fiberglass. Anyone care to guess the
>number of '41 Willys currently streeting or stripping compared to actual
>production numbers? I be that would make the "SS" phenomenon seem like
>small potatoes.

that is it, i just could not figure it out or point to an example

porsche speedster, 34 coupe, cobra, etc

bill

Old September 28th 03, 08:28 PM
Ken Doyle

> wrote
> Todays cars are much
> better vehicles than back then as well and a higher percentage
> should be available as time goes by.

Todays cars have aluminum engines with exact tolerances. It would be tough
for a hobbiest to rebuild such an engine. The transmissions are light-duty
junk. The front-end parts have no grease fittings so when the spare parts
are gone, that's it. Todays cars also have computers, so if a certain chip
becomes unavailable you're screwed.
Todays cars are the most disposable cars ever made. And besides, they all
look like jellybeans!

Ken D.

Old October 2nd 03, 02:33 AM
Bill Allen

To who ever thinks todays cars are better than older cars. Please
clarify what you base that assumption on?
As far as todays cars being collectable in the future. I think a lot
will depend on how stringent the pollution police dictate demand no
tampering with pollution controls.
And if there is a relationship between how many cars were made as to
how many are available or around today there must be a lot of Pintos an
Vegas I'm not seeing.
Speaking and comparing lets say a 72 Pinto or Vega to modern car. I
think It is easier to find a part for a 31 year old pinto now than in
2034 finding a part for say a 2003 Nissan.
More people take cars for granted now. Who knows the future
collectables may just be todays computers and a real confersation piece
might be the webtv box I'm now using.
Who knows
Just my opinions

Old October 3rd 03, 03:45 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Bill Allen wrote:

> To who ever thinks todays cars are better than older cars. Please
> clarify what you base that assumption on?

The engines last about twice as long as those of the early 60s. Today's cars
don't rust out as badly as those of the 60s. Today's cars get about twice as
much horsepower per gallon of gas as those of the 60s. And the cars of the 60s
were a big improvement of those made in the 50s.

Besides what I've read, I have personal experience with a '50 Ford, '58 Ford,
'63 Fairlane, '61 Econoline, '89 Nissan, and '95 Escort. All but the Econoline
were purchased new. I now also own a 1940 Ford, and it appears that the
Econoline was a great improvement over that car in every way except style.

George Patterson
God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the
good fortune to run into the ones I like, and the eyesight to tell the
difference.