Two NR2003 systems on one broad band connection, Help!

Old November 2nd 05, 10:55 PM
MadDAWG

Default Two NR2003 systems on one broad band connection, Help!

I have a friend that wants to race online, but is only on dial up. I have a
second computer so what do I need to do to allow both computers to race on
the same league server with a common broadband connection? In the readme
file it says I must change the net_server_port=0 in the core.ini, but it
doesn't say to what. I tried changing it to 1 and also to a few of ports in
the same range a server uses to see if it would "get thru", but no luck.

1) So what do I have to change the net_server_port to?

2) Do I need to add or remove any settings in the router's setup?

TIA

MadDAWG

Old November 3rd 05, 05:44 PM
Jeff Reid

> I have a friend that wants to race online, but is only on dial up. I have a second computer so what do I need to do
> to allow both computers to race on the same league server with a common broadband connection? In the readme file it
> says I must change the net_server_port=0 in the core.ini, but it doesn't say to what. I tried changing it to 1 and
> also to a few of ports in the same range a server uses to see if it would "get thru", but no luck.
>
> 1) So what do I have to change the net_server_port to?
>
> 2) Do I need to add or remove any settings in the router's setup?

Can both systems access the internet at the same time?

I have two systems, connected to a switcher, which in turn is connected to
a cable modem. In my case, I pay an extra fee so that each computer get's
it's own IP address (Cox Cable allows up to 3 IP's per cable modem).
However, I've been told that this isn't always neded, as each system will
get a different port address, but I don't know how many games support
multiple port addresses.

For security, I have file sharing turned off on the ethernet connection
to the switcher. The two computers are also connected to each other via
firewire, which I use to exchange files.

Old November 3rd 05, 10:13 PM
MadDAWG

"Jeff Reid" > wrote in message
>> I have a friend that wants to race online, but is only on dial up. I
>> have a second computer so what do I need to do to allow both computers
>> to race on the same league server with a common broadband connection? In
>> the readme file it says I must change the net_server_port=0 in the
>> core.ini, but it doesn't say to what. I tried changing it to 1 and also
>> to a few of ports in the same range a server uses to see if it would "get
>> thru", but no luck.
>>
>> 1) So what do I have to change the net_server_port to?
>>
>> 2) Do I need to add or remove any settings in the router's setup?

> Can both systems access the internet at the same time?
>
> I have two systems, connected to a switcher, which in turn is connected to
> a cable modem. In my case, I pay an extra fee so that each computer get's
> it's own IP address (Cox Cable allows up to 3 IP's per cable modem).
> However, I've been told that this isn't always neded, as each system will
> get a different port address, but I don't know how many games support
> multiple port addresses.
>
> For security, I have file sharing turned off on the ethernet connection
> to the switcher. The two computers are also connected to each other via
> firewire, which I use to exchange files.

Yes both computers can hit the net at the same time, but the don't have
different IPs. The problem/cure is with the above mention setting, but I
can't seem to get a connection to any server other than with it set to zero.
And that is with or without the second computer trying to hook up.

MadDAWG

Old November 4th 05, 03:15 AM
test

Can't you just run it as a lan game

Old November 5th 05, 04:46 PM
MadDAWG

"test" > wrote in message
> Can't you just run it as a lan game

No its a league, and we are only two of the drivers.

MAdDAWG

Old November 9th 05, 06:16 PM
PlowBoy

Dawg...

Let me get this straight, you talking about letting your dialup buddy come
to your house and use your broadband? or as it seems worded, you have your
machine and a "nascar race server" machine setup at your house?

if it is the latter you have to forward the ports as mentioned in the readme
(or was it the server readme?) about the 2 major ports open to outside
world, and then like 2 ports on down for each and every person connecting, I
think that was... dont have the game here, and had to do this long ago for
a few weeks, havent done it since...

MadDAWG enlightened us with:

Old November 9th 05, 09:04 PM
MadDAWG

> Dawg...
>
> Let me get this straight, you talking about letting your dialup buddy come
> to your house and use your broadband? or as it seems worded, you have
> your machine and a "nascar race server" machine setup at your house?
>
> if it is the latter you have to forward the ports as mentioned in the
> readme (or was it the server readme?) about the 2 major ports open to
> outside world, and then like 2 ports on down for each and every person
> connecting, I think that was... dont have the game here, and had to do
> this long ago for a few weeks, havent done it since...

I actualy have two computers set up to be race clients and a third I can use
as a server. I seem to have found the "problem". In my lyksys router setup
the port forwarding was set to forward the ports to the third(server)
computer. For some reason this is only a problem when the other two
computers try to connect to an outside server. Either one could get thru on
its own, but not both of them at the same time. Once I removed the port
forwarding from my router setup all is good. Both client machinces can
connect to the external server just fine.

FWIW I was told this would only work on an ip to ip connection, but not thru
Serria. I can't say one way or the other on that since I have not been on
Serria in years.

MadDAWG

Old November 9th 05, 10:01 PM
Bart Westra

"MadDAWG" > wrote in message

>> Dawg...
>>
>> Let me get this straight, you talking about letting your dialup buddy
>> come to your house and use your broadband? or as it seems worded, you
>> have your machine and a "nascar race server" machine setup at your house?
>>
>> if it is the latter you have to forward the ports as mentioned in the
>> readme (or was it the server readme?) about the 2 major ports open to
>> outside world, and then like 2 ports on down for each and every person
>> connecting, I think that was... dont have the game here, and had to do
>> this long ago for a few weeks, havent done it since...

> I actualy have two computers set up to be race clients and a third I can
> use as a server. I seem to have found the "problem". In my lyksys router
> setup the port forwarding was set to forward the ports to the
> third(server) computer. For some reason this is only a problem when the
> other two computers try to connect to an outside server. Either one could
> get thru on its own, but not both of them at the same time. Once I removed
> the port forwarding from my router setup all is good. Both client
> machinces can connect to the external server just fine.
>
> FWIW I was told this would only work on an ip to ip connection, but not
> thru Serria. I can't say one way or the other on that since I have not
> been on Serria in years.
>
> MadDAWG

It should be possible if you change the port range on your server, and
change the port forwarding in your router accordingly. You set the start of
the port range in core.ini, [ communications ] with the line:
net_server_port =nnnnn The range will then run up to and including nnnnn+43.
The default for nnnnn is 32766. So set it to for examply 32866. Note that
clients connecting to your server should make the same change.

Bart