rF and FPS?

Old November 2nd 05, 07:27 AM
Arto Wikla

Default rF and FPS?

Some time ago I got some nice info here for solving the FPS problems
in rFactor, but still there are problems. The patch did not help much.

For example in Toban Short Special with Adv. Trainer I get
FPS's varying from lets say 8 to 40. Quite seldom 8, mostly
something between 20 and 30. I think my system should do a little
better. And the most disturbing is the variance of FPS; it really spoils
the feeling of reality!

The specs of the system:

Pentium 4 3.20GHz @ 3.20GHz 1024 MB
XP SP 2 Build 2600
Radeon 9600 479 MB Driver v6.14.9919.6575 (loaded today!)
DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)

I have tried AGP Aperture 64, 128 and 256. I have also played
with the virtual memory settings.

In the rF setup:

I have tried different resolutions and 16 & 32 bits.
And different refresh rates, and DX7, 8 and 9.
Also vsync on and off. And different settings of AA.
Not much effect to FPS's. The DX selection affects perhaps
most, but DX7 is not much better.

In the game settings:

It doesn't really affect very much if I set all (apart shadows) to
lowest or highest settings - well of course some, but even with the
lowest the FPS's are not acceptable.

I have now 14 cars drawn. Have played also with that number, Not much
effect. I have tried with 19 and 14 opponents. Not much effect.

Trilinear, bilinear and the better settings: Even with the least
demanding options the FPS's are not good. With the best options
FPS's get horrible.

So collective wisdom, what could be the cause to my problems?
Could it be so that the RAM is the bottleneck? Could it be so that
the virtual memory logic of rF and my system conflict? Should I
double the RAM?

I suppose - and if I can interprete the new bar showing the video
card usage - the video card is not the problem.

So, what kind of FPS's you get with lesser or similiar systems? What
could I expect FPS-wise?

Thanks in advance!

Arto

Old November 2nd 05, 10:17 AM
Dave Erb

I had the same or worse problems on an AMD machine that is otherwise close
to yours in capability. Tried *everything* to fix it includeing the stuff
you mention. After a ridiculous amount of trail and error the problem
finally turned out to be the Cool'n'Quiet utility that is controlled in the
BIOS. With that turned off I went form frames rates in the high teens to low
20's on the pit straight at Birmingham to 50's and 60's. Rest of circuit
went from 30's-40's to 100 -130's . Even more important the periodic
stutters that pinned the FPS reading to 1's and 2's are completely gone. If
your Intel machine uses C'n'Q try experimenting with that

Dave Erb

Old November 2nd 05, 11:55 AM
Uwe Schürkamp

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 07:27:22 +0000 (UTC), Arto Wikla wrote:
> So, what kind of FPS's you get with lesser or similiar systems? What
> could I expect FPS-wise?

Have you tried disabling energy saving thingies in your bios? A fellow
racer had similar problems and tracked it down to the Asus AMD cool and
quiet feature in his bios settings.

Cheers & good luck,

uwe

--
GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61
Old November 2nd 05, 09:52 PM
John Smith

this is a longshot, but try disabling your antivirus and/or firewall
software.

Old November 2nd 05, 10:29 PM
Arto Wikla

Dave Erb writes:

>you mention. After a ridiculous amount of trail and error the problem
>finally turned out to be the Cool'n'Quiet utility that is controlled in the
>BIOS. With that turned off I went form frames rates in the high teens to low
>20's on the pit straight at Birmingham to 50's and 60's. Rest of circuit
>went from 30's-40's to 100 -130's . Even more important the periodic
>stutters that pinned the FPS reading to 1's and 2's are completely gone. If
>your Intel machine uses C'n'Q try experimenting with that

And Uwe:
>Have you tried disabling energy saving thingies in your bios? A fellow
>racer had similar problems and tracked it down to the Asus AMD cool and
>quiet feature in his bios settings.

Thanks Dave and Uwe! In the Pentium BIOS there is a similiar "SM Fan
control". It was in the "Auto" mode and I tried the "Enhanced Cooling",
which promised "max performance CPU". No help, not at least much! Still
the FPS's get very low every now and then.

I still suspect some conflict between the way rF and my system will
manage the paging of the virtual memory.

Arto

Old November 2nd 05, 10:33 PM
Arto Wikla

John Smith writes:

>this is a longshot, but try disabling your antivirus and/or firewall
>software.

Thanks John! But how would I dare to do that? Could rF perhaps try to
make some net connections during my off line racing? I hope not!

Arto

Old November 2nd 05, 11:27 PM
Alan Bernardo

Try turning down the length of the replay system or turing replays off
completely. Sometimes that can cause problems.

Alanb

Old November 3rd 05, 05:01 AM
Tanstaafl

Following advice I read in this newsgroup I increased my swapfile to 2 gigs
(1 gig of ram on my machine) and made sure the swapfile was not on the same
drive as windows. It increased my framerate over 50%.

Old November 4th 05, 08:39 AM
Arto Wikla

I minimized everything in the configuration: minumum pixels, 16 bit, DX7,
no AA, no vsync. In the display settings everything to minimum; low or off.
14 opponents, 14 drawn.

Toban Special Reverse: Looks horrible. The FPS's vary normally between 40-110,
which would be ok, but every now and then (3 to 5 places in one lap) the FPS's
drop to 10-15. That spoils ecceftively the immersion and the feeling of reality.

There really is something wrong with the combination rF and my system!
No FPS problems in GTR, SH3, IL-2-PF. I've become tired... I've tried
"everything" except arranging extra cooling to the box.

I am not anymore sure, whether rF is worth of all that...

Arto

Old November 4th 05, 12:54 PM
Steve Whitty

"Arto Wikla" > wrote in message
>I minimized everything in the configuration: minumum pixels, 16 bit, DX7,
> no AA, no vsync. In the display settings everything to minimum; low or
> off.
> 14 opponents, 14 drawn.
>
> Toban Special Reverse: Looks horrible. The FPS's vary normally between
> 40-110,
> which would be ok, but every now and then (3 to 5 places in one lap) the
> FPS's
> drop to 10-15. That spoils ecceftively the immersion and the feeling of
> reality.
>
> There really is something wrong with the combination rF and my system!
> No FPS problems in GTR, SH3, IL-2-PF. I've become tired... I've tried
> "everything" except arranging extra cooling to the box.
>
> I am not anymore sure, whether rF is worth of all that...
>
> Arto
> --

do you have auto overclocking in the bios? thats know to cause problems.

cheers

steve