Adjusting NR2003 AI

Old May 1st 05, 06:45 PM
Charles F. Castor Jr.

Default Adjusting NR2003 AI

There is a place on the net that told you what to adjust when the AI
cars were slow or fast going in and out of turns and things like that.
Does anybody know were that might be?
Thanks

Old May 2nd 05, 11:55 PM
MadDAWG

"Charles F. Castor Jr." > wrote in message
> There is a place on the net that told you what to adjust when the AI
> cars were slow or fast going in and out of turns and things like that.
> Does anybody know were that might be?
> Thanks

This what your after?

Track types:
0 = short track
1 = mile oval
2 = medium oval (>1 <2)
3 = long oval (think this is the 2 mile)
4 = super speedway
5 = road course

Chassis types:
0 = ?
1 = super speedway
2 = speedway
3 = short track
4 = road course

I've noticed people are complaining that the AI isn't quite right at some of
the tracks, Well, I've been fiddling with some of the parameters in the
Track.ini files and came up with this.

The AI is just all around too Fast. What do I do?

'ai_grip_modifier = xxx' Decrease this for them to go slower, pretty much
all around. Increase for them to go faster all around. Only
Decrease/Increase in small incriments.

I slam into the AI going into the turns, what do I do?

The line that says 'ai_decel_modifier = xxx'
-- INCREASE THIS NUMBER. Play around with it a bit. The more you increase
this number, the faster they'll enter the turn.

-If the AI slams into you going into the turns, Decrease this number to slow
them down.

I Slam into the AI coming out of the turns, what do I do?

The line that says 'ai_accel_modifier = xxx'
-- INCREASE THIS NUMBER. Just like above, play with it. The more you
increase the faster they'll exit the turns.

-If the AI Pulls you bad coming out of the turns, Decrease this number to
slow them down.

The AI Pulls away from me on the Straitaway, what do I do?

The line that says 'ai_drag_modifier = xxx'
INCREASE THIS NUMBER. The more you increase it, the slower they'll go,
mainly on the straitaways.

If you are riding the brakes to keep from slamming into thier BUMS on the
straits, Decrease this number to speed them up.
The AI is too fast in Qualifying, but they're good while racing, what do I
do?

'ai_qual_modifier = xxx' INCREASE this number for them to go FASTER.
DECREASE for them to go SLOWER. Use disgression and don't edit the
parameters TOO FAR or you'll either have an IRL race or a dinky derby race
on your hands.

The AI wrecks Way too much. What do I do?

It could be 1 of 2 things:

'ai_wall_offset = xxx' Turn this down first. This tells N02 how many times
out of 100 the AI will actually make contact with each other when they
touch. If set to 1, the AI may merge into each other.

OR

'ai_drafting_distance = xxx' This is how close (in carlengths) the AI get on
each others back bumper. IF you turn this down too much, the AI will get
confused and they'll go 4, 5 or even 6 wide and wreck alot. A good setting
for this setting is anywhere from 1.00 to 1.50, depending on the track. (See
Below for more Info)
My races are Boring. (Much like Real Nascar right now.... ) The AI only goes
single file and dont usually pass. What do I do?

There are a Few parameters you can edit.

'ai_line_modifier = 1.00' This line tells the AI how to enter the turn,
based on the *.lp file. DO NOT EVER EDIT THIS LINE!
If you want the AI to run more random lines, like up near the wall, down on
the bottom and take more chances of passing, TOTALLY DELETE THIS LINE, DO
NOT EDIT IT Thats right, just take it out. This is good for tracks with
multiple lines like Rockingham and Other tracks.

OR

'ai_drafting_distance = xxx' This line tells the AI how far to follow the
next AI car (in carlengths). DECREASE this number for Closer races and the
ability for the AI to pass more often. CAUTION Do not edit this too much, or
else you'll end up in a Demo Derby. Only Decrease this number by 2.5 MAX at
each track. Even then, you'll have some trouble on your hands. Some tracks
are different than others. At Daytona and Tally, you want to Decrease by
like 3. But at Bristol only by 1. Use your disgression and play with these
numbers.

OR

'ai_squeeze_pcnt = xxx' I'm still figuring this one out. I believe it shows
how long it takes the race before the field spreads out. I've done alot of
playing with this one, and if you go too low, they spread out fast. Go too
high and they spread out fast. There must be a 'perfect sweet spot' number
to get the AI just right. I dont believe I've found it yet. If you find some
good settings, Email or IM me.

Well, thats about it. I'm still researching these:

'ai_panic_decel = xxx'

I hope this helps a lot of you guys and Happy Racing.

If you have any questions, comments or additions, you know where to put
them, Right down there.

steveb73
SimRacing Connection

Old May 3rd 05, 05:33 AM
jason moyer

Where did you find that? simracingconnection.com?

Old May 4th 05, 09:16 PM
MadDAWG

I'm not sure to be honest, but I believe SteveB is the authour of it.

MadDAWG

ups.com...

Old May 5th 05, 09:24 PM
jason moyer

One thing that's on in there which I personally find to be as important
as ai_drafting_distance is ai_dlat_pad. Looking in the ini files, it
seems like this variable tends to be set at a compromise somewhere
between real life and the way good human drivers race online. Useful
values seem to be in the range of -1.0, which causes the AI to
constantly bang fenders and 1.5 which makes the AI use a more cautious
upper line at Atlanta, for example.

The 3 biggest things I'm finding that are good for AI tuning are
deleting the AI_Line_Modifier line, adjusting the ai_drafting_distance
to the lowest value that is just high enough to keep the AI from
immediately going 3 wide on starts and restarts, and adjusting the
ai_dlat_pad to suit your taste - either look at the 'helicopter cam'
and adjust it so that the ai is properly using the second lane when
racing 2 wide, or set it as low as possible to make close side-by-side
racing - just not so low that the AI wrecks every 3 laps.

Old May 6th 05, 07:56 PM
MadDAWG

DAng should have got this to you sooner. I have yet to really use it much.
Never had the time to play with the settings. When I saw it I figured it
was worth saving so I did just that.

MadDAWG

On Board Sound & Papyrus' GPL and NR2003 MadDAWG Simulators 6 February 22nd 05 09:16 PM
Adjusting valves Rojo2G Technology 1 January 25th 05 07:51 PM
What the . . . ? Fattie adjusting screws! Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott VW air cooled 20 December 15th 04 01:40 AM
NR2003 Split Axis Pedals W/Logitech Formula GP Douglas BISHOP Simulators 1 December 5th 04 11:54 PM
NR2003 Leagues - Where is everyone ? Joel Brown Simulators 2 November 3rd 04 03:48 AM