Thanks Speedy Jim

Old October 14th 08, 12:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Default Thanks Speedy Jim

I had to work on a 1979 Super Convertible that would not start up. TG it
had no a/c on it and is a manual trans!!
It has less than 3,000 miles on it and it is SUPER CLEAN. Just some small
scrapes on the RR fender, a very slight ding in the engine lid and that was
it with the body. Now the front seats have lost all of their padding but
the upholstery looks excellent.
I wish it was up for sale when I am ready with a heated garage to receive
it. I would probably be too afraid to drive it anyway! lol
NO IT IS NOT FOR SALE RIGHT NOW!!!!! SO DON'T ASK!!! <g>

Well anyway............I am so rusty with diagnosing the FI I had to
download some of your info about the Double Relay which helped me remember.
It also helped that I managed to dig up a DR in my junk piles, which has
been basically untouched for 2 decades.
Of course plugging my DR in and a booster on the battery and it started
right up.
I was lucky this time and even found a new DR locally!

So thanks Speedy Jim!
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old October 14th 08, 12:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

Old October 14th 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Bondo cannot be applied to upholstery, dip****.
Old October 14th 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Thanks but I will refer him to a shop to do the seats for them since their
labor is cheaper and their experience better. ;-)
I have not done one in about 20+ years when I redid my '66.
Yeah I remember how to do it but the shop should probably put some carpeting
on the springs before the foam.
Too lazy nowadays! lol

Old October 15th 08, 03:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Leopold Stotch[_2_]

wrote:
> On Oct 14, 4:57 am, " > wrote:
>> On Oct 14, 7:17 am, "dave AKA vwdoc1" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I had to work on a 1979 Super Convertible that would not start up. TG it
>>> had no a/c on it and is a manual trans!!
>>> It has less than 3,000 miles on it and it is SUPER CLEAN. Just some small
>>> scrapes on the RR fender, a very slight ding in the engine lid and that was
>>> it with the body. Now the front seats have lost all of their padding but
>>> the upholstery looks excellent.
>>> I wish it was up for sale when I am ready with a heated garage to receive
>>> it. I would probably be too afraid to drive it anyway! lol
>>> NO IT IS NOT FOR SALE RIGHT NOW!!!!! SO DON'T ASK!!! <g>
>>> Well anyway............I am so rusty with diagnosing the FI I had to
>>> download some of your info about the Double Relay which helped me remember.
>>> It also helped that I managed to dig up a DR in my junk piles, which has
>>> been basically untouched for 2 decades.
>>> Of course plugging my DR in and a booster on the battery and it started
>>> right up.
>>> I was lucky this time and even found a new DR locally!
>>> So thanks Speedy Jim!
>>> --
>>> later,
>>> (One out of many daves)

>> Hey Dave the replacement foam padding is great when it comes to
>> fixing late seats. And a easy job.

> Bondo cannot be applied to upholstery, dip****.

Never tell Fairy-O what Bondo can not be applied over. He'll prove you
wrong every time.

Old October 15th 08, 12:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

On Oct 14, 2:59�pm, "dave AKA vwdoc1" >
wrote:
> Thanks but I will refer him to a shop to do the seats for them since their
> labor is cheaper and their experience better. �;-)
> I have not done one in about 20+ years when I redid my '66.
> Yeah I remember how to do it but the shop should probably put some carpeting
> on the springs before the foam.
> Too lazy nowadays! �lol
>
> > wrote in message

> On Oct 14, 7:17?am, "dave AKA vwdoc1" >
> wrote:
>

> > I had to work on a 1979 Super Convertible that would not start up. ?TG it
> > had no a/c on it and is a manual trans!!
> > It has less than 3,000 miles on it and it is SUPER CLEAN. ?Just some small
> > scrapes on the RR fender, a very slight ding in the engine lid and that
> > was
> > it with the body. ?Now the front seats have lost all of their padding but
> > the upholstery looks excellent.
> > I wish it was up for sale when I am ready with a heated garage to receive
> > it. ?I would probably be too afraid to drive it anyway! ?lol
> > NO IT IS NOT FOR SALE RIGHT NOW!!!!! ?SO DON'T ASK!!! ?<g>

> > Well anyway............I am so rusty with diagnosing the FI I had to
> > download some of your info about the Double Relay which helped me
> > remember.
> > It also helped that I managed to dig up a DR in my junk piles, which has
> > been basically untouched for 2 decades.
> > Of course plugging my DR in and a booster on the battery and it started
> > right up.
> > I was lucky this time and even found a new DR locally!

> > So thanks Speedy Jim!
> > --
> > later,
> > (One out of many daves)

> Hey Dave �the replacement foam padding is great when it comes to
> fixing late seats. And a easy job.- Hide quoted text -

the 79 seats do not have springs or horse hair padding like your 66
its just a foam padding.
Old October 15th 08, 06:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Oct 15, 4:08 am, " > wrote:
> On Oct 14, 2:59 pm, "dave AKA vwdoc1" >
> wrote:
>

> > Thanks but I will refer him to a shop to do the seats for them since their
> > labor is cheaper and their experience better. ;-)
> > I have not done one in about 20+ years when I redid my '66.
> > Yeah I remember how to do it but the shop should probably put some carpeting
> > on the springs before the foam.
> > Too lazy nowadays! lol

> > > wrote in message

> > On Oct 14, 7:17?am, "dave AKA vwdoc1" >
> > wrote:

> > > I had to work on a 1979 Super Convertible that would not start up. ?TG it
> > > had no a/c on it and is a manual trans!!
> > > It has less than 3,000 miles on it and it is SUPER CLEAN. ?Just some small
> > > scrapes on the RR fender, a very slight ding in the engine lid and that
> > > was
> > > it with the body. ?Now the front seats have lost all of their padding but
> > > the upholstery looks excellent.
> > > I wish it was up for sale when I am ready with a heated garage to receive
> > > it. ?I would probably be too afraid to drive it anyway! ?lol
> > > NO IT IS NOT FOR SALE RIGHT NOW!!!!! ?SO DON'T ASK!!! ?<g>

> > > Well anyway............I am so rusty with diagnosing the FI I had to
> > > download some of your info about the Double Relay which helped me
> > > remember.
> > > It also helped that I managed to dig up a DR in my junk piles, which has
> > > been basically untouched for 2 decades.
> > > Of course plugging my DR in and a booster on the battery and it started
> > > right up.
> > > I was lucky this time and even found a new DR locally!

> > > So thanks Speedy Jim!
> > > --
> > > later,
> > > (One out of many daves)

> > Hey Dave the replacement foam padding is great when it comes to
> > fixing late seats. And a easy job.- Hide quoted text -

> the 79 seats do not have springs or horse hair padding like your 66
> its just a foam padding.

VWs also didn't originally come slathered with bondo, moron.
Old October 15th 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

I seem to remember that there was a change in seat padding in the 70's AND
the seats.
I am just so amazed to see that these seats feel like the padding is
ENTIRELY gone from the seat back. I see nothing on the floor and this car
is super clean. I tried to squeeze to see if there was something inside of
the seat and I heard crunching like the horsehair.
I am wondering if the original owner sold the original seats for $$$ and
install earlier seats like from a 1974.
The 1979 had a different separate headrest too IIRC. These seats did not
seem like the right ones to me especially since this car is super clean
everywhere else!! Something is wrong with this picture!!!! lol

thanks

> wrote in message
the 79 seats do not have springs or horse hair padding like your 66
its just a foam padding.

Speedy is back !! [email protected] VW air cooled 5 July 31st 08 04:38 PM
Att: Speedy Jim. Berg VW air cooled 11 April 19th 07 05:37 AM
Help Speedy Jim Mac VW air cooled 3 September 6th 06 10:20 PM
thanx Speedy Jim Dennis Wik VW air cooled 0 December 28th 04 02:14 AM
Ping Speedy Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott VW air cooled 13 December 20th 04 02:46 AM