Caravan, 3.0 L, engine misfire

Old March 19th 05, 08:33 PM
Steve

Default Caravan, 3.0 L, engine misfire

I have a 1999 Dodge Caravan with a 3.0 L. The engine is missing under load,
and I get a report of misfire in cylinder 1 when I read the codes. Garage
has tested everything: spark plugs, injector sugnals, fuel pressure. I did
a tune up (wires, rotor, dist. cap) no help. Had the fuel system cleaned
too, no help. Swapped plugs around, fault stays on cylinder 1. Just
recently I have started to get a MAF sensor fault (reads high impedance) and
a multiple misfire code too.

Garage doens't have a clue, other than possibly a bad injector for the
missing. Anyone have some other things I could test or read through ODB II?
I have a scanner.

Any help appreciated.

Steve

Old March 19th 05, 09:18 PM
maxpower

"Steve" > wrote in message
> I have a 1999 Dodge Caravan with a 3.0 L. The engine is missing under

load,
> and I get a report of misfire in cylinder 1 when I read the codes. Garage
> has tested everything: spark plugs, injector sugnals, fuel pressure. I

did
> a tune up (wires, rotor, dist. cap) no help. Had the fuel system cleaned
> too, no help. Swapped plugs around, fault stays on cylinder 1. Just
> recently I have started to get a MAF sensor fault (reads high impedance)

and
> a multiple misfire code too.
>
> Garage doens't have a clue, other than possibly a bad injector for the
> missing. Anyone have some other things I could test or read through ODB

II?
> I have a scanner.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Steve

You need to perform a compression test, If it is low you can try to
decarbonize the combustion system with a product that Chrysler sells, Make
sure you are using 87 octane fuel also.
Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old March 20th 05, 05:12 AM

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 16:18:30 -0500, "maxpower"
> wrote:

>"Steve" > wrote in message
>> I have a 1999 Dodge Caravan with a 3.0 L. The engine is missing under

>load,
>> and I get a report of misfire in cylinder 1 when I read the codes. Garage
>> has tested everything: spark plugs, injector sugnals, fuel pressure. I

>did
>> a tune up (wires, rotor, dist. cap) no help. Had the fuel system cleaned
>> too, no help. Swapped plugs around, fault stays on cylinder 1. Just
>> recently I have started to get a MAF sensor fault (reads high impedance)

>and
>> a multiple misfire code too.
>>
>> Garage doens't have a clue, other than possibly a bad injector for the
>> missing. Anyone have some other things I could test or read through ODB

>II?
>> I have a scanner.
>>
>> Any help appreciated.
>>
>> Steve
>>

>You need to perform a compression test, If it is low you can try to
>decarbonize the combustion system with a product that Chrysler sells, Make
>sure you are using 87 octane fuel also.
>Glenn Beasley
>Chrysler Tech

Also possible you've got a worn or loose valve guide. Problem is not
as common as in the past, but apparently it still happens.
Old March 22nd 05, 04:33 AM
Mr_Notorius5500

Kind of what Max power said...do a compresion test. Now, if the
compression is low then you would have to do a wet test, meaning that you
squirt some oil into the combustion chamber and check the compresion
again. if the pressure is higher then that means you have bad piston
rings, but if the pressure doesn't change than maybe perhaps your valves
are bad. Worst case scenario: engine overhaul.....very costly and
depending on how you feel about it if you think it's worth it then go for
it, but if not then its just one of those things that u learn to live
with.

Old March 23rd 05, 10:59 AM
Steve

Garage had done the compression test and it was fine.

Any chance it could be a bad injector? What about the fuel filter, could
that cause it?

lkaboutautos.com...

Old March 24th 05, 12:32 AM

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:59:24 GMT, "Steve"
> wrote:

>Garage had done the compression test and it was fine.
>
>Any chance it could be a bad injector? What about the fuel filter, could
>that cause it?
>

>"Mr_Notorius5500" > wrote in message
alkaboutautos.com...
>> Kind of what Max power said...do a compresion test. Now, if the
>> compression is low then you would have to do a wet test, meaning that you
>> squirt some oil into the combustion chamber and check the compresion
>> again. if the pressure is higher then that means you have bad piston
>> rings, but if the pressure doesn't change than maybe perhaps your valves
>> are bad. Worst case scenario: engine overhaul.....very costly and
>> depending on how you feel about it if you think it's worth it then go for
>> it, but if not then its just one of those things that u learn to live
>> with.

The guides in my 88 NewYorker were so bad it's a wonder the valves
didn't come up through the guides, and the compression still checked
out fine - but it didn't run worth a hill of beans, and used a lot of
oil (and did not smoke)
Old March 24th 05, 04:19 PM
noname

Those Mitsi engines wear the guides real bad.
New guides and a valve job is a must after about 100k miles.
problem used to be worse but they have improved the heads and they are
better now.