95 bmw 525i.... transmission issues and more

Old August 11th 07, 07:59 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
pchotspot

Default 95 bmw 525i.... transmission issues and more

I just bought a 95 BMW 525i with auto tranny. The car does not seem
to be shifting and the tranny goes into protection mode. What could
the problem be and is there an easy fix for this type of tranny
issue.

The front right and left rear window does not roll up nor down. I
could hear the motor spinning but no movement of the glasss. PLUS the
Both front seats are not functional at all. I find it weird that both
seats would not be working at the same time, thats why I suspect fuse
or relay. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE THE RELAY/FUSE FOR THE SEATS ARE
LOCATED?

Old August 11th 07, 08:43 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com>,
pchotspot > wrote:
> I just bought a 95 BMW 525i with auto tranny. The car does not seem
> to be shifting and the tranny goes into protection mode. What could
> the problem be and is there an easy fix for this type of tranny
> issue.

First thing to check is the voltage at the gearbox ECU - if this is low
for any reason, poor connections, alternator or battery fault etc, one of
the first symptoms of this is the gearbox going into limp home mode.

--
*Upon the advice of my attorney, my shirt bears no message at this time

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old August 11th 07, 11:00 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
pchotspot

On Aug 11, 3:43 am, "Dave Plowman (News)" >
wrote:
> In article . com>,
> pchotspot > wrote:
>
> > I just bought a 95 BMW 525i with auto tranny. The car does not seem
> > to be shifting and the tranny goes into protection mode. What could
> > the problem be and is there an easy fix for this type of tranny
> > issue.

> First thing to check is the voltage at the gearbox ECU - if this is low
> for any reason, poor connections, alternator or battery fault etc, one of
> the first symptoms of this is the gearbox going into limp home mode.
>
> --
> *Upon the advice of my attorney, my shirt bears no message at this time
>
> Dave Plowman London SW
> To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Where is the ECU located. I have been having problem with the
electrical charging system. When I remove the lead from the battery
while the car is running it shuts off immediately. I had the
alternater checked by autozone and its fine. THANK YOU FOR YOUR
ADVICE AND QUICK RESPONSE.

Old August 12th 07, 08:43 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com>,
pchotspot > wrote:
> > First thing to check is the voltage at the gearbox ECU - if this is
> > low for any reason, poor connections, alternator or battery fault etc,
> > one of the first symptoms of this is the gearbox going into limp home
> > mode.

> Where is the ECU located. I have been having problem with the
> electrical charging system. When I remove the lead from the battery
> while the car is running it shuts off immediately. I had the
> alternater checked by autozone and its fine. THANK YOU FOR YOUR
> ADVICE AND QUICK RESPONSE.

You should *never* remove a battery connection with the engine running.
The volts can go sky high and fry things.
Start the car, and check the battery voltage after about 15 minutes
running and report what it is.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, try management *

Old August 15th 07, 03:08 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
pchotspot

On Aug 12, 3:43 am, "Dave Plowman (News)" >
wrote:
> In article .com>,
> pchotspot > wrote:
>
> > > First thing to check is the voltage at the gearbox ECU - if this is
> > > low for any reason, poor connections, alternator or battery fault etc,
> > > one of the first symptoms of this is the gearbox going into limp home
> > > mode.

> > Where is the ECU located. I have been having problem with the
> > electrical charging system. When I remove the lead from the battery
> > while the car is running it shuts off immediately. I had the
> > alternater checked by autozone and its fine. THANK YOU FOR YOUR
> > ADVICE AND QUICK RESPONSE.

> You should *never* remove a battery connection with the engine running.
> The volts can go sky high and fry things.
> Start the car, and check the battery voltage after about 15 minutes
> running and report what it is.
>
> --
> *If at first you don't succeed, try management *
>
> Dave Plowman London SW
> To e-mail, change noise into sound.

I checked the voltage and it read 15.26v . like i said the car is not
in my town so it takes a while to get to it. let me know what I can
try next.

Old August 15th 07, 03:14 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"pchotspot" > wrote in message

Snip

>> You should *never* remove a battery connection with the engine running.
>> The volts can go sky high and fry things.
>> Start the car, and check the battery voltage after about 15 minutes
>> running and report what it is.

What he meant was start the car run it for 15 minutes, **stop the engine**
and report what the voltage is.

>> --
>> *If at first you don't succeed, try management *
>>
>> Dave Plowman London SW
>> To e-mail, change noise into sound.

> I checked the voltage and it read 15.26v . like i said the car is not
> in my town so it takes a while to get to it. let me know what I can
> try next.

BTW taking the battery lead off while the engine was running has probably
done for a lot of the electronics :-(((

Old August 15th 07, 05:11 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
admin[_1_]

pchotspot wrote:
> I checked the voltage and it read 15.26v . like i said the car is not
> in my town so it takes a while to get to it. let me know what I can
> try next.

I'd suggest seeing a professional. It really sounds as if you're out of
your depth here - and you're causing more damage trying to fix it than
there was to start with. 15.26V is WAY too high - with engine running or
not. You may have an alternator problem rather than a transmission
problem, but asking for help via the net is asking for guesses by people
who aren't near your car.

See a dealer. That's what I'd suggest you try next.

Old August 15th 07, 07:19 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com>,
pchotspot > wrote:
> > You should *never* remove a battery connection with the engine running.
> > The volts can go sky high and fry things.
> > Start the car, and check the battery voltage after about 15 minutes
> > running and report what it is.

> I checked the voltage and it read 15.26v . like i said the car is not
> in my town so it takes a while to get to it. let me know what I can
> try next.

Assuming you have an accurate voltmeter that's way out of tolerance.
Hopefully when that's rectified by a new regulator the transmission fault
will go too. The voltage should stabilise at 13.8v after a few minutes
running assuming a decent battery in a good state of charge.

--
*Some people are only alive because it is illegal to kill.